Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:05 am 
President's Circle

he visited in early Sept. and Coach Dunleavy has offered. The young man is a 6-8 F with a nice inside game. One of the top players in Mississippi who had Ole Miss and Miss. State as well as Wichita State also interested in him, according to prep recruiting reports.
https://twitter.com/mbreezy269

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 am 
Regent's Circle

...and according to the twitter profile you liked to committed to Memphis last week....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 am 
President's Circle

You are confusing Mike with his retweet of C. Vanover who did commit to Memphis. Barber has done no such thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am 
Regent's Circle

randymc wrote:
You are confusing Mike with his retweet of C. Vanover who did commit to Memphis. Barber has done no such thing.

You are correct, sir. My apologies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am 
President's Circle

no apologies needed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

randymc wrote:

Is Vanover the 7'4 guy that recently committed to Memphis?

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm 
President's Circle

We have 2 spots for next year unless somebody leaves. One used up on Wood. I'm wondering if we should save one in the hope of landing a true stud or leaving a spot for a potential grad transfer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you think this guy can help you win NOW and makes your team better...........sign him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

no spot is "used up" until they sign.

We could use an athletic wing or forward.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm 
President's Circle

Plus, when was the last time we actually kept everyone who could stay?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 pm 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
randymc wrote:

I saw 7'2", but yes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
waverider wrote:
randymc wrote:

I saw 7'2", but yes.

I was wondering how accurate the height was. Read it in a generic headline "Memphis gets commitment from 7'4 kid" or something like that.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

Which brings me to a question. How hard is it to actually measure a player’s height? It’s not like timing a 40 when you are arguing about methods, technology, wind effects.

Unless someone just returned from an extended stay on the ISS, height is static. Stand someone against a straight wall, get a ladder and a pencil, put something flat on the kid’s head to get the highest height, and mark it.

All these 2-4” variations are because someone wants to be obtuse, not because they can’t find a measuring tape at Home Depot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Which brings me to a question. How hard is it to actually measure a player’s height? It’s not like timing a 40 when you are arguing about methods, technology, wind effects.

Unless someone just returned from an extended stay on the ISS, height is static. Stand someone against a straight wall, get a ladder and a pencil, put something flat on the kid’s head to get the highest height, and mark it.

All these 2-4” variations are because someone wants to be obtuse, not because they can’t find a measuring tape at Home Depot.

I'd say shoes on/off and we're taking about high school kids here. Weeks could make a difference if they're still growing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

I'd say shoes on/off and we're taking about high school kids here. Weeks could make a difference if they're still growing

It's simple. With shoes and without. Of course, that part is always left out in reported heights for MBB players.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

You guys are more concerned about it being correct than the teams themselves are. Some teams pad height to make the roster look more intimidating. Some don't. Some measure you exactly, barefoot, with a level on the crown of your head against a wall. Some ask you how tall you are and take your word. I was 6'10 in the program (and legitimately, I'd stopped growing), but my fifth year someone made me 6'11. No one said a word to me and I wasn't remeasured, it just appeared that way when the media guide came out, and that was the first I knew of it. To be honest, it kinda ticked me off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
You guys are more concerned about it being correct than the teams themselves are. Some teams pad height to make the roster look more intimidating. Some don't. Some measure you exactly, barefoot, with a level on the crown of your head against a wall. Some ask you how tall you are and take your word. I was 6'10 in the program (and legitimately, I'd stopped growing), but my fifth year someone made me 6'11. No one said a word to me and I wasn't remeasured, it just appeared that way when the media guide came out, and that was the first I knew of it. To be honest, it kinda ticked me off.

I thought you were listed as 7'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:36 am 
Cornerstone

Sorta like the guy whose hand measured 11-7/8 inches. He would not let them call it 12 inches, because then it would be a foot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Nope, never. Joe Passi was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm 
Coach Level

The only time I think heights are accurate is when the NBA measures prospects before the draft. I remember Anthony Reed being listed at 6-8. Wayne Picou told me Reed was measured at 6-5 1/2 by the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Nope, never. Joe Passi was.

no offense, but I always got you two confused... however, I was also in Boston and saw maybe 2 games per year

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am 
Emerald Circle

doc wrote:
The only time I think heights are accurate is when the NBA measures prospects before the draft. I remember Anthony Reed being listed at 6-8. Wayne Picou told me Reed was measured at 6-5 1/2 by the NBA.

True. Or something like that. Maybe 6'-5 3/4" or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:43 pm 
President's Circle

Barber is also getting interest from Richmond Spiders of late, via Andrew Force recruiting analyst on Twitter