Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

I thought this deserved is own thread. Start threads for other sports if you baseball fans get your feelings hurt. 8)

1. Erin Gutierrez, Nova High School in Hollywood, Florida. 5-foot-9 point guard, the No. 138 recruit in the country on ProspectsNation.com.

2. Mia Heide, Austin High School in Austin, Texas. 6-foot-5 post, the nation's No. 36 post player on ESPN.com.

3. Dynah Jones, John Curtis. 5-foot-10 guard, 64th nationally at her position according to Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

4. Dene' Mims, Warren Easton Charter High. 6-foot-5 power forward, the country's No. 21 forward according to ESPN.

Adding not one, but two, 6'5" players (to go with one we already have) is impressive. Ranking-wise, this has to be one of Stockton's best classes ever, I'd think. Two in the top 40 at their positions and one in the overall top 140 of all players? Considering how top-heavy the national scene is with a few powerhouses getting all the best players, this seems like a great haul.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Ranking-wise, this has to be one of Stockton's best classes ever, I'd think. Two in the top 40 at their positions and one in the overall top 140 of all players? Considering how top-heavy the national scene is with a few powerhouses getting all the best players, this seems like a great haul.

Not even close.
This is similar to what we've been doing; also fairly similar to what our men's basketball team is doing right now. Somewhat higher ranked than the men, but not by a huge amount. (I do expect the men to be pretty good soon).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Ranking-wise, this has to be one of Stockton's best classes ever, I'd think. Two in the top 40 at their positions and one in the overall top 140 of all players? Considering how top-heavy the national scene is with a few powerhouses getting all the best players, this seems like a great haul.

Not even close.
This is similar to what we've been doing; also fairly similar to what our men's basketball team is doing right now. Somewhat higher ranked than the men, but not by a huge amount. (I do expect the men to be pretty good soon).

Really? That surprises me. We've had whole classes in previous years who were ranked that high? I can see if maybe we had one really highly ranked player who buoyed the average, but it always seemed like there were others who were, well, "a dropoff".

Regardless, I can say for absolute fact that we've never had three 6'5" ladies on the roster at once. We've only had one or two that tall, ever (Janell Burse...???).

BTW, since they are signed, a mod could move this thread to the main board.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am 
Regent's Circle

I can't remember a class this impressive, and certainly not with this amount of size. Welcome, ladies!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Not even close.

Really? That surprises me. We've had whole classes in previous years who were ranked that high? I can see if maybe we had one really highly ranked player who buoyed the average, but it always seemed like there were others who were, well, "a dropoff".

Regardless, I can say for absolute fact that we've never had three 6'5" ladies on the roster at once. We've only had one or two that tall, ever (Janell Burse...???).

Pete, having UConn in your league will probably force Coach Stockton to add a couple of 6”8 girls in the near future (lol).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

In 2016, we signed the 16 center (she left after a couple of months) and #67 forward
Last year we signed the #22 PG, #39 wing and #54 forward
This year is a little higher overall; and for the first time in a while, we're getting real size.
It's on the upswing and they're doing a good job. But 15-20 years ago, we recruited some top 100s and I believe a couple of top 50s.