Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 am 
Coach Level

Bailey Granier is leaving Vandy as a grad transfer. He is from LA (Galliano, La/ South Lafourche) and when Franklin left Vandy he briefly decommittted and looked at Tulane, but went back to being a Vanderbilt commit. He has played as both a RT and RG while at Vandy. Think Tulane will show any interest now?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/vande ... -transfer/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am 
Navigator Level

That would be a welcome addition.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am 
Regent's Circle

Sounds like he wasn't a regular starter, but would be a good addition. Tops off his Vandy BA/BS with Tulane MA/MS/MBA/JD ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 am 
Emerald Circle

He and Sehic would have overlapped, right? Hopefully Sehic is helping recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am 
Regent's Circle

As a one year grad transfer, no reason not to take him. Worth it for the depth even if he doesn't start. Hopefully he's interested.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am 
Emerald Circle

He'd give us another senior to replace for 2019. IMO we should replace Leeward Brown with a 5th OL signee to come out of HS or at least one with more than one year of eligibility.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:07 pm 
Coach Level

long green wrote:
He'd give us another senior to replace for 2019. IMO we should replace Leeward Brown with a 5th OL signee to come out of HS or at least one with more than one year of eligibility.

This. If he were D-line it would be awesome. He looks to transfer somewhere where he will start. We return all starters and I would prefer the underclassman get any reps for experience purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 pm 
Riptide Level

Bailey Granier makes it official. He's transferring to Tulane for graduate school.

https://twitter.com/BaileyGranier75/status/942144787532132359

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:05 pm 
President's Circle

SomeBiz wrote:
Bailey Granier makes it official. He's transferring to Tulane for graduate school.

https://twitter.com/BaileyGranier75/status/942144787532132359

Awesome. We need all the OL we can get. Does Knighton still have any eligibility? I would think he's done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Knighton was supposed to have 2 years to play. My only reservation with this is that we already have a lot of seniors for next year, another would just increase the size of the rebuilding job. He certainly lengthens our rotation for next year, no doubt. So welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

Great news an experienced player at OL who has faced top notch talent are worth their weight in gold

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Windy approves

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Knighton was supposed to have 2 years to play. My only reservation with this is that we already have a lot of seniors for next year, another would just increase the size of the rebuilding job. He certainly lengthens our rotation for next year, no doubt. So welcome aboard.

Redshirt the freshmen. Worked for Grobe at WF, should work to our benefit. Dublin will be the leader of this new OL bunch anyway, I'd much rather have upperclassmen on the OL than Freshmen & Sophs. Dublin will be our future workhorse, but he made of lot of freshman mistakes in 2017, as you would expect. He'll be better physically and mentally in 2018 and the new guys will benefit from a year in the weight room. It's all good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:10 pm 
Cornerstone

long green wrote:
...My only reservation with this is that we already have a lot of seniors for next year, another would just increase the size of the rebuilding job. ...
On the upside, if these guys can help us demonstrate that we are an up-and-coming world-beater, our recruiting should soar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:

Redshirt the freshmen. Worked for Grobe at WF, should work to our benefit. Dublin will be the leader of this new OL bunch anyway, I'd much rather have upperclassmen on the OL than Freshmen & Sophs. Dublin will be our future workhorse, but he made of lot of freshman mistakes in 2017, as you would expect. He'll be better physically and mentally in 2018 and the new guys will benefit from a year in the weight room. It's all good.
As long as the numbers work, that would be the ideal plan.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

This guy is going to be an on field coach and hopefully bring a mean streak and intolerance for mental mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm 
Junior

I think (hope?) he'll be like Glenn Davenport was a few years ago; step in and immediately become the best lineman we have. Solid pick-up!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
This guy is going to be an on field coach and hopefully bring a mean streak and intolerance for mental mistakes.

Last time we got a 5th year transfer lineman from an SEC school we went bowling. I bet he continues the streak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:12 am 
Emerald Circle

Advocate: http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tulane/article_b51301ca-e2d1-11e7-9188-d379f607a6f6.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 am 
Regent's Circle

Another reminder that it is easier to get Vandy and Miami grads into Tulane than transfer JC credits. I get the arguments above that in effect you should only use grad transfers for "major" improvements because of their short shelf life. But if it helps on the margin then why not? This is not exactly a "win now" philosophical argument but Fritz going into his third year wants it to be a winning one. Granier in his own way should help that. Plus he is another local guy so good move there too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:13 am 
Regent's Circle

I'm glad for it. We need to win next year, and he'll help that to some degree. Especially with linemen, redshirts for youngsters are a good thing if you can manage it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

I agree. I think that redshirts for linemen seems to be more helpful than other positions, because the weight training and added bulk that can be added as a freshman certainly helps in the future. As such, if he facilitates 1 or more frosh to red shirt, so much the better.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 pm 
Navigator Level

I think it's a win in so many ways. Highly recruited. Has the impressive SEC cred: 4 years in an SEC strength program, starter on an SEC team and SEC size (sorry, but 6'4" 280 and 6'3" 290 - our starting guards - ain't the same as 6'6" 316 when we are trying to get that one yard on the goal line).
Plus smart guy coming from a smart school who will be able to pick up anything thrown at him.
IMO, the only question remaining is his fire.

Davenport had both above average ability and was ready to finally PLAY after sitting around in BR for a few years. Knighton, OTOH, was missing either the ability or fire to replace Diaz.

Welcome Bailey!!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:05 am 
Emerald Circle

And he has now de-committed

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am 
Coach Level

I thought we signed all of our commits from last semester. Am i confused again? :(