Early signing in August

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

Early signing in August

Post by waverider »

Yesterday I caught a sniper of Booger McFarland suggesting they move the FB early signing day to August before the seasons for college and high school start. The problem I see with that is a lot of kids, especially on really good teams, often don't get significant playing time until their senior seasons. I know most recruiting starts in 9th or 10th grade but usually it's the really special kids that get noticed at a younger age.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Early signing in August

Post by Poseidon »

Offers are usually made based upon 9th-11th grade game tape and going to camps the summer before Jr and Sr seasons; all of which are over by August. The prospwct evaluation is 95% over by that point. Who will suffer will be prospects that who will be stuck with schools after coaching changes.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

That completely takes out your senior year. I know offers are often made in advance of your senior year, but often a lot of those offers are non-commitable, and it's during your senior year when you really realize (school and player) which 5 or so schools are the ones you want and want you. The entire system would be transformed. Also, as I mentioned in the first sentence, this would take out your senior year of HS. They would have to consider putting in a clause for coaches who got fired or position coaches who left. Why would a kid sign with Ball State if he thinks there is a chance he's getting an offer from Ohio State (which every kid thinks he's getting)? Why would Alabama sign a kid in August unless they were 100% sure this was a 5-star no miss kid that's not going to blow out his knee during his senior year or his game is going to go to sh_t?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Tulane fans complain about everything. Early signing date is too early. Late signing date allows kids to use us as a fall back if the bigger offer comes in very late. Actually the proof is in the recent signing class. Early works for us. Whatever Saban dislikes we should like.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Early works for us no doubt. And I agree anything Saban hates we should like. I’ve wondered if some of our higher rated recruits or guys like Tate who is cleaning up in the recognition derby now, wouldn’t get a serious pursuit by the bigger programs in February

But thanks to this early signing period it’s too late.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:Tulane fans complain about everything. Early signing date is too early. Late signing date allows kids to use us as a fall back if the bigger offer comes in very late. Actually the proof is in the recent signing class. Early works for us. Whatever Saban dislikes we should like.
What Tulane fans are complaining? It kinda sounDs like wavedom "always complains about Tulane fans"
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I don't post in pink. But you knew that.
We deserve so much better