Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:56 pm 
Cornerstone

GSx wrote:
By my count, we lose most of our offense after this season: top 2 WRs, top 2 RBs, QB, and based on last night I think 4 OL starters.
I wonder if he doesn't leave some room for immediate-play transfers.
If he doesn't, I suppose that's confidence in the backups

Not at all worried about our backs in 2020. 3 of the five OL starters from last night will be back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

Don’t we have a couple redshirting that should be good one day?

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

Cornelius Dyson, who has been tweeting a lot of proTulane stuff recently, announced on twitter that he “thanks Tulane” but that “god” told him to re-open his commitment.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
Cornelius Dyson, who has been tweeting a lot of proTulane stuff recently, announced on twitter that he “thanks Tulane” but that “god” told him to re-open his commitment.

Should we thank "god" or ask him to reconsider? Is Fritz trading up?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:33 pm 
Regent's Circle

He might want to see a doctor for that

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:35 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:

Was just at the UConn game, right? This seems weird.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:

I thought he was too. And like I said, he was tweeting more Tulane stuff than the official account. I’m wondering if “god” is a P5 coach suddenly interested in him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 am 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:

I thought he was too. And like I said, he was tweeting more Tulane stuff than the official account. I’m wondering if “god” is a P5 coach suddenly interested in him.

maybe it was Fritz because he knows he's getting a P5 job after the season

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 am 
Cornerstone

We don’t know if he was at the UConn game. We know he was scheduled to be there. If we moved on from him I think we’d have wanted to have that conversation before the weekend. If he was here it increases the chance he had a change of heart.

I liked him as a nickel or a linebacker, less as safety. We have still four listed commitments at linebacker at least one of whom will play the Joker slot (my guess would be Adam Walton).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:32 am 
Regent's Circle

Did anyone see if he was wearing blue?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:

Maybe he was afraid of the juju/vibrations threads

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
We don’t know if he was at the UConn game. We know he was scheduled to be there. If we moved on from him I think we’d have wanted to have that conversation before the weekend. If he was here it increases the chance he had a change of heart.
Agree about our end of things wanting to move on before the weekend, but think the same would also apply to him...why come spend the whole weekend and then immediately decommit? Not like it was his first time and he didn't like what he saw. Oh well, kids are weird.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 pm 
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:
Oh well, kids are weird.

Should be the sig for this board, if such things existed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:
Agree about our end of things wanting to move on before the weekend, but think the same would also apply to him...why come spend the whole weekend and then immediately decommit? Not like it was his first time and he didn't like what he saw. Oh well, kids are weird.

because it's a free trip to NOLA?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:

because it's a free trip to NOLA?
He's in Kentwood, he's been here plenty of times before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 pm 
President's Circle

These decommitments seemingly out of nowhere usually follow a very frank conversation with the staff. I would guess this was a mutual understanding that circumstances have changed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:20 pm 
President's Circle

Greedy Vance?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 am 
President's Circle

Greedy is visiting Louisville tomorrow. It's always tough to see a recruit visit another school because it's so easy to fall in love with a school on a visit. Satterfield has built a nice buzz around that program, and I think Greedy might commit there.

I wanted to highlight a position that we are not done with yet and that is Wide Receiver. We have been on a few kids I will list below:

Steven McBride- East Ascension. 6'0 175. LG touched on this kid in another thread. I like McBride a lot because he's quick and runs well. We have some receivers with size...Vallien, LeDee, Sorell Brown (if he can get healthy), Tyrek Presley. We are graduating two kids who can really run and get deep in McCleskey and Mooney. We have to replace that speed. The Watts twins both run pretty well and both have good size, but we need someone other than Jha'Quan Jackson with some get up and go at receiver. McBride could be that guy.

Will Sheppard- Mandeville. 6'3 200. Sheppard is a bigger receiver who can really jump. A basketball player who is great tracking the ball in the air. Won't wow you with his speed, but he's good at positioning his body and has really good hands. A willing blocker. This guy has been under the radar and is finally starting to pop. Reminds me a bit of Damonte Coxie from Memphis (by way of East St. John). Doesn't have the publicity that Coxie had (because Jimmy Smith rightly pushed hard for people to notice Coxie), but to me has a chance to be just as good.

Jarmone Sutherland- Newman. 5'11 175. Sutherland is a great kid with a lot of production from Newman. He's a bit of a tough evaluation for me because of the level of competition and the lack of track times. On film, he gets away with some things because he's more athletic than the other kids around him. He's simply a lot better than the kids around him. He's fast, but I'm not sure he's outside receiver fast. He's more of a slot guy where attention to detail and route running will be HUGE. I also question whether he's quick enough and loose enough in the hips to play in the slot. This is one who I really want to like bad but I can't come around enough to say he's a guy we should take.

Logan Kyle, a 6'3 205lb WR from Texas who is committed to Vandy. Kyle is big and runs well. He'd be #1 on this list if we can get him. Even though Vandy is struggling and the buzzards are starting to circle around Derek Mason, I think Kyle will be really hard to steal away from Vandy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:21 am 
Cornerstone

TU23, a question:

GREAT NEWS! Kyle, Sheppard, and McBride all call up and say they want to commit and shut down their recruiting. Do you have a conversation with the Watts twins?

as for Sutherland, I have a weakness for this type of receiver. I think good or very good receiver groups are built with the guy who can get open and catch the football, not with a speed guy or a big guy. Jalen McCleskey is this type of receiver. Having him make those big plays vs UH was a huge moment for the offense because it scared Army into letting him break off routes which allowed us to play well in front of the sticks all game. I understand your reservations about Sutherland, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:30 pm 
President's Circle

I presume Trenton Grow is out of the picture at WR - is that correct?

Also, this class is thin at DB and RB. Do you see us staying put at these two positions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:39 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
TU23, a question:

GREAT NEWS! Kyle, Sheppard, and McBride all call up and say they want to commit and shut down their recruiting. Do you have a conversation with the Watts twins?

as for Sutherland, I have a weakness for this type of receiver. I think good or very good receiver groups are built with the guy who can get open and catch the football, not with a speed guy or a big guy. Jalen McCleskey is this type of receiver. Having him make those big plays vs UH was a huge moment for the offense because it scared Army into letting him break off routes which allowed us to play well in front of the sticks all game. I understand your reservations about Sutherland, though.

What a problem to have. Obviously, we have to do what's best for the team. If it was my call, I do not have a conversation with the Watts twins, and I take Kyle. I think that both Watts kids are physically ready to play now, and we need an influx at that position now. I also think you have to take into account the relationships the twins have with several kids on our team. Mississippi is a small state and many of the players get to know each other. I'd rather not burn that bridge. While I don't think the Watts kids are game changers, I think they help us now more than the others, and we have to keep the ball rolling. I think it's easy to tell McBride and Sheppard no because we will likely find players of similar ability next year (if not better).

I agree about Sutherland. I really want to find a way to take him. Part of the problem for me is space on our roster. If I could guarantee that he'd take someone's spot who is going to move on (not naming names), I take him and try to bring him along because I think he's got something there.

All that being said, maybe we play this out until signing day (or beyond) and save a spot for someone we think will be a real difference maker next year (if that guy is out there and willing to consider us). Could be a grad transfer.

What is crystal clear is that we have to find guys who will step up next year. I really like Tyrek Presley and hope last week was something he can build on with Keon Howard. I think Toles has shown a little more this year than in the past. But there aren't many reps behind Mooney and McCleskey, so whoever starts next year will have to really step up their game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:41 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:

Also, this class is thin at DB and RB. Do you see us staying put at these two positions?

Grow has fallen off a lot. Hasn't shown much growth and there is questionable speed.

RB, I think we stay put for now unless someone wows us. DB, we could take another one.

I think we could see more changes to our commitment list as the season progresses and that will likely effect which positions we take.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:50 pm 
Regent's Circle

TU23 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Grow has fallen off a lot. Hasn't shown much growth and there is questionable speed.

You're saying he didn't.........grow?

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Maybe he was afraid of the juju/vibrations threads
He really has no choice as he did tweet positive Tulane related pictures, and well, you know how the rules work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
TU23 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

You're saying he didn't.........grow?

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next