Losing ground?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Losing ground?

Post by tjtlja »

This question is probably best for FTW or TU23. It appears we have lost some ground or momentum in the late signing period. With player defections and possible targets taking visits to other schools, where do we currently stand and how many more can we actually take? Especially at QB where our depth chart is scary. Any info would be appreciated.
TU23
President's Circle

Re: Losing ground?

Post by TU23 »

We can take 3 (assuming we have 2 more defections by Summer, which I think is probable). I am always pleasantly surprised at the visitor list when it comes out, so I’ll reserve judgment until we see it. I know Jaquon Griffin did not visit in December as expected and will visit next weekend. So that’s a positive development. I think it also feels like we’re losing ground because we have so few slots left and because of the Lindsey Scott saga. I do like the approach of not just signing kids for the sake of filling the last couple of spots. If we can’t find 3 good ones, save them for transfers or next year.
This one belongs to the Wave.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

TU23 wrote:We can take 3 (assuming we have 2 more defections by Summer, which I think is probable). I am always pleasantly surprised at the visitor list when it comes out, so I’ll reserve judgment until we see it. I know Jaquon Griffin did not visit in December as expected and will visit next weekend. So that’s a positive development. I think it also feels like we’re losing ground because we have so few slots left and because of the Lindsey Scott saga. I do like the approach of not just signing kids for the sake of filling the last couple of spots. If we can’t find 3 good ones, save them for transfers or next year.
Good advice.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TU23 wrote:We can take 3 (assuming we have 2 more defections by Summer, which I think is probable). I am always pleasantly surprised at the visitor list when it comes out, so I’ll reserve judgment until we see it. I know Jaquon Griffin did not visit in December as expected and will visit next weekend. So that’s a positive development. I think it also feels like we’re losing ground because we have so few slots left and because of the Lindsey Scott saga. I do like the approach of not just signing kids for the sake of filling the last couple of spots. If we can’t find 3 good ones, save them for transfers or next year.
TU23, thanks as always.

We may have to do exactly what you say we shouldn’t do at the QB position. Wouldn’t you agree with that given the current depth chart of Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

What good would be done to the roster by adding a stiff at QB? If the guy or guys contemplated couldn't beat out Hurst or Lapeyre you can't spend a scholarship on them.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As others have pointed out, perhaps GC stays especially if he can get GA type experience (if not the legal status.) He gives you experienced depth and someone to take the burden in practice.

I know he wants to play somewhere (like we all would.) But if he is not going to land softly with another team, he may just as well prefer to remain at Tulane then ride the pine elsewhere. All wild speculation but this might make the QB depth hole more manageable for 2018.

Meanwhile any word on where Brantley and McClain have headed and the related timing?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Glen has already picked a school. I doubt he's legally obligated to stand by his statement of intent but I wouldn't expect him to go back on his word.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

McClain leaving is still a head scratcher for me. He leaves after a guy who might have been ahead of him declares he's leaving, Brantley. He clearly was someone the Staff initially was very excited about. And Banks, the starter had one year left of eligibility left and showed last year that given his style of play he's going to get banged up. I just don't get it.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

...the current depth chart of Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst?
Can I ask why people are so concerned (to the point they assume them a massive problem) about the three after Banks? Is it only because they have no game experience? McClain was a freshman last year and by many reports he was only behind Brantley because Brantley had a year of experience. Are we just making the "leap of no faith" that the three guys after Banks are going to be worthless? And suggesting we recruit a "warm body" to have a fifth QB when said warm body would presumably be worse than those three backups? Isn't that a LOT presumptuous?
PJR
Breaker Level

Post by PJR »

I agree. We have players on the team that can compete at QB. We do not need another QB unless he is exceptional.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote:
Can I ask why people are so concerned (to the point they assume them a massive problem) about the three after Banks? Is it only because they have no game experience? McClain was a freshman last year and by many reports he was only behind Brantley because Brantley had a year of experience. Are we just making the "leap of no faith" that the three guys after Banks are going to be worthless? And suggesting we recruit a "warm body" to have a fifth QB when said warm body would presumably be worse than those three backups? Isn't that a LOT presumptuous?
Pete, the problem is Ledford was being moved to another position, Hurst is a walk-on, and Daniels is a true freshman. If Banks gets hurt, we are in a dangerous position. I read the other day that approximately 28% of the recruiting pool was not signed in the early period. There are good QB’s out there that have yet to sign. We need to find one or two. If Banks gets hurt, our scout squad will be negative impacted. We need someone - even if it is a reach IMO.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PJR wrote:I agree. We have players on the team that can compete at QB. We do not need another QB unless he is exceptional.
I agree in spirit but the sentiment above should be confined to HS prospects. A competent grad transfer would not qualify as exceptional but would be welcome.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:Glen has already picked a school. I doubt he's legally obligated to stand by his statement of intent but I wouldn't expect him to go back on his word.
OK. Thanks for headsup. I see he announced TSU on his twitter account Wednesday. (Missed it while ice skating at Audubon Park!)

Good luck to him. Class person.
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

best recruiting in 20 or 25 years and you say we are losing ground. WOW
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I don't think we have lost ground. We already have the best class since pre-katrina. However, about QB...pete ask the best question so I will respond to him.

PeteRasche wrote:
The reality is the three QBs behind Banks that transferred out have all thrown passes in actual games, if not started games for the team. I would like to be Mary Poppins on this, but now we are left with a walk-on, a player who switched to WR, and a middling rated freshman who is not even on campus yet. Step back and think about that.

If Banks gets hurt we are back to where we were in 2016. What reasonably suggest that any of these QBs are going to be better than GC was two years ago. We will go back to the Run, run, run offense. Except now we are the '16 team without Nico Tanzel Perry and the pretty good d on the other side of the ball. I don't think that is a recipe for a winning conference record and given our OOC next year... :|

All of this explains why the staff has went in so hard on Scott. Besides being a very good prospect, he is a very important stop gap. The big concern is after Scott there aren't any real JC prosects out there fit or good enough for Tulane. The Scott situation looms large. We all know it deep down.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

pearlriverwave wrote:best recruiting in 20 or 25 years and you say we are losing ground. WOW

WOW, let me spell it out to you.

Yes, best class in a long time. Everyone seems to agree. Closing the class with Scott, Griffin, King, Willis, and perhaps Ragin or Smith seemed possible which would have made this our best class in 40 years or longer. As of today, that seems highly unlikely plus we have lost McClain and Diaz thus the title “losing ground” in the late period. Was it that tough to comprehend?
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

tjtlja wrote:
pearlriverwave wrote:best recruiting in 20 or 25 years and you say we are losing ground. WOW

WOW, let me spell it out to you.

Yes, best class in a long time. Everyone seems to agree. Closing the class with Scott, Griffin, King, Willis, and perhaps Ragin or Smith seemed possible which would have made this our best class in 40 years or longer. As of today, that seems highly unlikely plus we have lost McClain and Diaz thus the title “losing ground” in the late period. Was it that tough to comprehend?
Perhaps a posting entitled "Losing Momentum" would have captured the spirit of your concern and also been more understood by the readers. In any case, I believe your have clearly expressed your concern since the December signing period.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

For those who are members of The Wave Report, the weekend visitor list is up. Very clear momentum is not being lost. Hope we can get a couple of those guys (one of which would be the highest rated recruit in this already stellar class).
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Why I miss Guillory at NOLA so much. Not only would he have listed who we had in this weekend he was the best most tenacious Beat Writer when it came to recruiting that I’ve seen in YEARS. Miss him.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Donny Z wrote:For those who are members of The Wave Report, the weekend visitor list is up. Very clear momentum is not being lost. Hope we can get a couple of those guys (one of which would be the highest rated recruit in this already stellar class).
Donny, since the weekend has passed, who visited per The Wave Report? Thanks!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Shout out to fearthewave, who found an OV for this weekend in TN ATH Joseph Norwood. Norwood has a half dozen or so 1-a offers, no huge ones, but is a very good hoops player. Sort of a taller Darnell Mooney, a late find who could also hoop it up. He plays WR/DB.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Who is the kid Donny refers to as our biggest recruit to date that visited this past weekend?
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

There was a 4 star TE/WR on campus this weekend from Georgia as well as two three star players from Texas (ATH and a CB) in addition to Norwood. I'm not sure how much I can share/can't share, so I'll leave it at that.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

I retweeted Norwood's tweet on his visit earlier in the day yesterday. I've been looking at the other guys who visited twitter handle periodically since the information was posted to see if they've said anything on the weekend, but they don't look like regular tweeters (couldn't find one although it may be a locked account) and/or haven't said anything.

BTW - if you scroll through Norwood's twitter page you will see that we were in to visit him at his school last week along with Wake Forest and Umass.

tjtlja - the owner of The Wave Report is also the Tulane beat writer for the Advocate. I don't know if he's going to do a story or not (hopefully he will) so out of respect to him I don't feel it's my place to break his information on a public site. Even if he doesn't run a story it's still his private information to break publicly as he wishes. If the visitors tweet publicly themselves, that's another story as they will have broken it publicly.

I know everyone doesn't always agree with Guerry's personal takes, but he does provide good information (during recruiting and football season - including spring - especially) and TWR is worth the money IMHO.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Donny, I understand. I asked since it is somewhat in the public domain and became old news when the recruiting weekend was over. Thanks anyway for what you did post.