Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Unread post by Rotorooter »

tjtlja wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I actually agree with LG's last stance/post, but the contrarian in me just wants to argue its all ok because the situation is so much better than the tone of the OP implies.

Please explain how the tone can be any different. Our QB situation as it stands right now is in disarray. To look at it any different needs to be explained to me. Let’s break it down further -

1. Banks - solid starter who improved steadily and can win games in the AAC.
2. Daniels - looks great on film. Is he ready to face the AAC? Many on here have questioned the competition he played against. I like him, but he is a true freshman.
3. Ledford - could not beat out Brantley or McClain and was moved to another position. Many on here thought Brantley was not AAC quality. What has changed?
4. Hurst - walk-on
5. Lapeyre - walk-on
6. Amare Jones - was not signed as a QB. Perhaps he will be the silver lining.
7. Bradwell - was 3rd string behind Brantley? Can he win games against the AAC? Besides, he is a damn good RB.

So there you have it. What tone could you possibly take? If Banks gets hurt in the first game, who do we turn to and can they win games against our schedule? And when was the last time we didn’t have a QB go down during a season? The situation is not good based on what we all know and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Daniels might be the second coming, but to bank on that as true freshman is super risky.
Given your analysis, we would be no better off had we signed that person-whose-name-I-refuse-to-use-because-we've-already-wasted-17+-pages-on-him. No D1 experience, right? Can he win games in the AAC? Couldn't crack the top three in Baton Rouge, right? What has changed? See how easy this is?

QB is such a wild card in predicting who can succeed or fail, either in college or pro, that I am not panicking yet. We have three guys on scholly, which should be enough to get us through next year. Are they any good? Don't know, we'll see. Can we use a fourth/fifth/tenth? Yep. Is it the most desirable situation? Nope. We need more experience, but we aren't going to get it (unless we miraculously pick up a Dawkins from UA--a long-shot).

Coach what you have. I just hope the coaches have learned a lesson, which is to cut bait from a guy who won't commit to you after a reasonable period of time--or at least put his offer on a time fuse so as to increase negotiating leverage. That way, you spend more time on your Plan B or C or Z.
I think Scott could have beaten out Banks. His play last year was terrific and carried his team to the JUCO title. Why you think the coaches recruited the hell out of this kid which may or may not have led to one or two of our scholarship QB’ s to transfer. I think this is a lot different than the situations of Daniels, Ledford, and Bradwell.
Do you really think that he-who-shall-not-be-named could beat out Banks?! Do you really think the talent on JUCO defenses are as good as in the AAC?! You are WAY out of your depth on this one. The defensive talent in JUCO is awful compared to P6, plain and simple. What you are saying is that Tulane's starter is worse than the 4th string LSU QB. Just ain't so. Lock will start for Mizzou and you-know-who will be lucky to get mop up time. And Banks made plays that few could make, like shedding off DLs and then running or throwing for first downs--multiple times. So give me a break and go join you-know-who's Fan Club.
Plan your work, work your plan.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Scott would have given Banks a run for his money as the starting QB. Would’ve been a close race.

Scott wasn’t really given a chance at LSU. They had 4 and 5 star guys that they were going to give the benefit of the doubt to and they didn’t think he was a good fit for the pro-style offense.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Actually Scott prefers a pro style offense.
We deserve so much better
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Watch Amare Jones' highlights. He's a natural and reminds me of another QB/RB named Jones.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:Actually Scott prefers a pro style offense.
He may, that doesn’t mean that the LSU coaching staff thinks he’s a good fit for it. If you read what I wrote, I said nothing about what he might prefer.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

sr wrote:Watch Amare Jones' highlights. He's a natural and reminds me of another QB/RB named Jones.
I get that people want to say the answer is already on the roster. It's just not though. Bradwell was moved to RB before the end of his freshman season. Ledford was moved to WR much sooner than that. The coaches saw Jones in person and didn't recruit him as a QB. The coaches are looking elsewhere and with good reason. They still have time. We'll have to trust him.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:Actually Scott prefers a pro style offense.
He may, that doesn’t mean that the LSU coaching staff thinks he’s a good fit for it. If you read what I wrote, I said nothing about what he might prefer.
He does and the way you worded it seemed generic to me as to just him not being a fit for a pro style offense. No big deal.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Rotorooter quote-

Do you really think that he-who-shall-not-be-named could beat out Banks?! Do you really think the talent on JUCO defenses are as good as in the AAC?! You are WAY out of your depth on this one. The defensive talent in JUCO is awful compared to P6, plain and simple. What you are saying is that Tulane's starter is worse than the 4th string LSU QB. Just ain't so. Lock will start for Mizzou and you-know-who will be lucky to get mop up time. And Banks made plays that few could make, like shedding off DLs and then running or throwing for first downs--multiple times. So give me a break and go join you-know-who's Fan Club.[/quote]

Banks is talented and the progress he made last year was very impressive. I like Banks and if healthy he will be a force to deal with next year. I also like Scott. You know who else is part of the Scott fan club - the entire Tulane coaching staff with WF leading the way. Scott did not get a shot at LSU. Scott will not beat out Lock and may never start at Missouri. But he does have a lot of talent and he is a winner.

This thread had nothing to do with Scott. It had to do with what we do now given our current roster of QB’s. Stay on polnt and list some options going forward as we search for a QB with talent, leadership abilities, and someone who can provide competition with the QB’s on our current depth chart.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

sr wrote:Watch Amare Jones' highlights. He's a natural and reminds me of another QB/RB named Jones.

He wasn’t recruited as a QB, but in my original post I said Jones may be the silver lining. He will certainly get a shot to show what he can do. I hope he is successful and blows away the staff with his ability.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I actually agree with LG's last stance/post, but the contrarian in me just wants to argue its all ok because the situation is so much better than the tone of the OP implies.

Please explain how the tone can be any different. Our QB situation as it stands right now is in disarray. To look at it any different needs to be explained to me. Let’s break it down further -

1. Banks - solid starter who improved steadily and can win games in the AAC.
2. Daniels - looks great on film. Is he ready to face the AAC? Many on here have questioned the competition he played against. I like him, but he is a true freshman.
3. Ledford - could not beat out Brantley or McClain and was moved to another position. Many on here thought Brantley was not AAC quality. What has changed?
4. Hurst - walk-on
5. Lapeyre - walk-on
6. Amare Jones - was not signed as a QB. Perhaps he will be the silver lining.
7. Bradwell - was 3rd string behind Brantley? Can he win games against the AAC? Besides, he is a damn good RB.

So there you have it. What tone could you possibly take? If Banks gets hurt in the first game, who do we turn to and can they win games against our schedule? And when was the last time we didn’t have a QB go down during a season? The situation is not good based on what we all know and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Daniels might be the second coming, but to bank on that as true freshman is super risky.
Given your analysis, we would be no better off had we signed that person-whose-name-I-refuse-to-use-because-we've-already-wasted-17+-pages-on-him. No D1 experience, right? Can he win games in the AAC? Couldn't crack the top three in Baton Rouge, right? What has changed? See how easy this is?

QB is such a wild card in predicting who can succeed or fail, either in college or pro, that I am not panicking yet. We have three guys on scholly, which should be enough to get us through next year. Are they any good? Don't know, we'll see. Can we use a fourth/fifth/tenth? Yep. Is it the most desirable situation? Nope. We need more experience, but we aren't going to get it (unless we miraculously pick up a Dawkins from UA--a long-shot).

Coach what you have. I just hope the coaches have learned a lesson, which is to cut bait from a guy who won't commit to you after a reasonable period of time--or at least put his offer on a time fuse so as to increase negotiating leverage. That way, you spend more time on your Plan B or C or Z.
I think Scott could have beaten out Banks. His play last year was terrific and carried his team to the JUCO title. Why you think the coaches recruited the hell out of this kid which may or may not have led to one or two of our scholarship QB’ s to transfer. I think this is a lot different than the situations of Daniels, Ledford, and Bradwell.
Do you really think that he-who-shall-not-be-named could beat out Banks?! Do you really think the talent on JUCO defenses are as good as in the AAC?! You are WAY out of your depth on this one. The defensive talent in JUCO is awful compared to P6, plain and simple. What you are saying is that Tulane's starter is worse than the 4th string LSU QB. Just ain't so. Lock will start for Mizzou and you-know-who will be lucky to get mop up time. And Banks made plays that few could make, like shedding off DLs and then running or throwing for first downs--multiple times. So give me a break and go join you-know-who's Fan Club.
If only Banks had a year at JUCO in order to get a more apples to apples comparison against similar talent levels...
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Scott had his year in JUCO which can be compared to Banks, this is true. He also had his year at LSU, where their coaches took one look at him (that's what they all do, you know) and refused even to consider playing him in favor of Brandon Harris (soon to be irrevocably benched), Justin McMillan (not really used at all), and Danny Etling (who of course was brilliant). Refused even to consider it.

My own serious thoughts are that he would have made us a better backup than we had last year. A good bit better, which, when you consider our record at keeping starting QB's healthy, would have come in pretty handy.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:Scott had his year in JUCO which can be compared to Banks, this is true. He also had his year at LSU, where their coaches took one look at him (that's what they all do, you know) and refused even to consider playing him in favor of Brandon Harris (soon to be irrevocably benched), Justin McMillan (not really used at all), and Danny Etling (who of course was brilliant). Refused even to consider it.

My own serious thoughts are that he would have made us a better backup than we had last year. A good bit better, which, when you consider our record at keeping starting QB's healthy, would have come in pretty handy.
This post says it all. As for comparing Banks' JUCO career against others, it is safe to say you can't do it. Why? The transient nature of JUCO football makes it impossible. I might also add that EMCC gets a heck of a lot better talent than most every other JUCO in the nation. See Netflix.

Using your criteria, ml wave, you-know-who is a better QB than Aaron Rodgers. It's a ridiculous standard.
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:Scott had his year in JUCO which can be compared to Banks, this is true. He also had his year at LSU, where their coaches took one look at him (that's what they all do, you know) and refused even to consider playing him in favor of Brandon Harris (soon to be irrevocably benched), Justin McMillan (not really used at all), and Danny Etling (who of course was brilliant). Refused even to consider it.

This post says it all. As for comparing Banks' JUCO career against others, it is safe to say you can't do it. Why? The transient nature of JUCO football makes it impossible. I might also add that EMCC gets a heck of a lot better talent than most every other JUCO in the nation. See Netflix.

Using your criteria, ml wave, you-know-who is a better QB than Aaron Rodgers. It's a ridiculous standard.
I don't have criteria here. You want to completely dismiss his JC numbers due to the competition, I merely pointed out that there was a comparison to be made if one wanted to do so considering Banks also played JC.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Rotorooter wrote:

Since Banks' JuCo is now the one on Netflix, does that make them more comparable?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Other than a rather weak attempt at jabbing me, I don't see what LSU has to do with this. I know you're trying to be cute but when exactly were they supposed to consider playing him over Harris et al, as a true freshman? With an uber conservative to a fault coach replaced midseason by a career interim trying to get the head job? That's so absurd I think you should make sure your account hasn't been hacked by Baywave. He couldn't move up the depth chart at QB (under a different coaching staff with a different offense), transferred and played well at JC. Ledford got moved to a different position basically immediately.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

not to get too deep in this argument that, since ml is involved, won't end until he thinks he's had the last word, but...........take our very own Elton Veals, a RB who came to us from a JC. While there he managed to break all of O.J. Simpson's rushing records (when O.J. was at a JC, it might even have been the same CA JC). Yet no one will argue that Veals was a better RB than O.J. The point is that as wr pointed out, the talent level is too fluid and inconsistent. Basically a JC player gives you a kid who is physically more mature than a true freshman and who has experience somewhere between a Div.1A Program and college.

my humble $0.02 and my last word on the topic :-D
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:not to get too deep in this argument that, since ml is involved, won't end until he thinks he's had the last word, but...........take our very own Elton Veals, a RB who came to us from a JC. While there he managed to break all of O.J. Simpson's rushing records (when O.J. was at a JC, it might even have been the same CA JC). Yet no one will argue that Veals was a better RB than O.J. The point is that as wr pointed out, the talent level is too fluid and inconsistent. Basically a JC player gives you a kid who is physically more mature than a true freshman and who has experience somewhere between a Div.1A Program and college.

my humble $0.02 and my last word on the topic :-D
Oh good, this thread was lacking the perspective of 40 years ago.
long green
Cornerstone

I could try a more honest response to you but I think people here would object if they kept reading "For God's sake stick a gun in your mouth already." You are that consistently bleak.

Congrats on picking a fight with Baywave out of a clear blue sky. I didn't think that was possible.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PJR
Breaker Level

Unread post by PJR »

long green wrote:
PJR wrote:We are good at QB. Stop the worry.
I wish the OP had tried on a different tone but we are quite thin again and need to find the best insurance possible.
Years ago I used to attend Tulane practices and Tulane was not doing very well one year after about 4 or 5 games into the football season. The Tulane coaches specifically told me that the only backup QB on the team was not capable of playing at the college level. Oddly, I thought that the backup QB looked great at each practice (better than the starter). But the Tulane coaches at the time told me that the backup QB did not have the "NFL arm" needed to play QB at the college level. Fortunately for Tulane, the first team QB got hurt, and the Tulane coaches had no choice but to play Mike McKay, the second team QB (QB without a strong arm). The rest is history, including two wins against LSU (one 49 to 7, if I am not mistaken).

Remember, Banks only had a spring under his belt before doing an outstanding job in 2017, and clearly, looking at the video of his JC games, the offensive system Banks ran at JC in 2016 was not what Tulane ran in 2017. We have QBs presently on the team that have the potential to step up and win games for Tulane next year, and they will be in the same or a better position in 2018 than Banks was at the start of the 2017 season. All they need is a chance to show what they can do.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

long green wrote:I could try a more honest response to you but I think people here would object if they kept reading "For God's sake stick a gun in your mouth already." You are that consistently bleak.

Congrats on picking a fight with Baywave out of a clear blue sky. I didn't think that was possible.
Maybe not!

I'm not bleak at all. I'm optimistic about our FB team next year. I've been consistently optimistic about our MBB team since the Dunleavy hire. Unlike some, I don't think we should shut down athletics if kids are granted the freedom to transfer without restriction...you want bleak, that's bleak. I do think our current QB depth chart is worrisome but it's January so I'm ok...if it looks like this in August I'll be much more worried.
long green
Cornerstone

Go to hell, I mean, yeah, I agree with what you say there.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Did someone say pick a fight?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

windywave wrote:Did someone say pick a fight?
We always had to meet at the flagpole - now we just meet on a sports board. 8)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Just remember, the only thing guaranteed if you wrestle with a turd is that you will come away smelling like one.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Just remember, the only thing guaranteed if you wrestle with a turd is that you will come away smelling like one.
You eat doody for breakfast? (Movie reference)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count