Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Post by tjtlja »

We need a QB in the worst way. Hopefully, this is the guy.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Apparently, Starks is now at Iowa Western CC instead of Southwest Mississippi. Ke'shan Pennamon, another former wave target, is there as well.
This one belongs to the Wave.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

A new offer -
Kennique Bonner-Steward - QB 6'4" 215 William A. Hough HS Cornelius, NC

https://twitter.com/KenniqueBS11/status ... 74112?s=20

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7900322/Ke ... nerSteward
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I thought the "quarterbacks we need you'" was talking about possibilities for this fall. Would'nt those guys just be part of the 2019 recruiting discussion.

We need a another qb for this fall.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TU23 wrote:Apparently, Starks is now at Iowa Western CC instead of Southwest Mississippi. Ke'shan Pennamon, another former wave target, is there as well.
Starks would have to blow up to be our top older option at QB for 2019.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

long green wrote:
TU23 wrote:Apparently, Starks is now at Iowa Western CC instead of Southwest Mississippi. Ke'shan Pennamon, another former wave target, is there as well.
Starks would have to blow up to be our top older option at QB for 2019.
Agreed. He was a project coming out of W.E. Will be interesting to see how much he's progressed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

There's a 3*DB/QB from Comeaux, Christian Archangel visiting today or tomorrow. He visited lsu in March. He lists himself as a 3*DB but he did play QB. I don't know if he has DI QB talent or if he's more interested in one position over the other.
Perhaps the lsu interest is for DB but we could snag him as QB if he wants to play QB.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Another 2019 QB -
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Dual threat QB Nick Tronti announces decision to transfer from Indiana. He was a backup there. Don't think he's graduating, so he would sit a year
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... m-indiana/
He was possibly a target for the 17 class. He mentioned Tulane in the article. http://www.staugustine.com/sports-high- ... ick-tronti
Good find. One would think we're an ideal situation for him, actually. He can't play next year anyway, then he'd have 3 left to play and Banks is gone so there would likely be wide open competition.
Lane Kiffin reels this one in.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Kincaid Dent from Yazoo City, MS is a guy we're really interested in at QB. Keep a close eye on him. Offers from Cincy, Colorado State, Arkansas St, ULL, Toledo, Western Kentucky, South Alabama. Tall, lean kid (6'4, 190) with a good arm, good touch and some athleticism. Would be more of a passer than a runner but has the ability to pick up first downs on the ground. Isn't a breakaway threat as a runner.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I suspect the biggest obstacle to our attracting a QB is the perception of the system here. Everyone outside of the program still thinks that the WF offense is a triple option variant or something close to what was being run at GSU. The truth is that, today, it is much closer to being his SHSU version which should attract passers. I also feel WF and staff failed to recruit to the SHSU style QB in his first class and instead recruited to the GSU style. The second class was somewhere in between. I expect this and future classes to move toward the SHSU model.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:I suspect the biggest obstacle to our attracting a QB is the perception of the system here. Everyone outside of the program still thinks that the WF offense is a triple option variant or something close to what was being run at GSU. The truth is that, today, it is much closer to being his SHSU version which should attract passers. I also feel WF and staff failed to recruit to the SHSU style QB in his first class and instead recruited to the GSU style. The second class was somewhere in between. I expect this and future classes to move toward the SHSU model.
We had 241 passing attempts last year, good for 123 in the country so I'm not sure "perception" is really the issue here.
exprof
Crest Level

Post by exprof »

Did anyone notice that Bevyn Jones responded to the tweet of Kincade!
I think it is great that a commitment is helping recruit.
That is the type of teamwork we need.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I suspect the biggest obstacle to our attracting a QB is the perception of the system here. Everyone outside of the program still thinks that the WF offense is a triple option variant or something close to what was being run at GSU. The truth is that, today, it is much closer to being his SHSU version which should attract passers. I also feel WF and staff failed to recruit to the SHSU style QB in his first class and instead recruited to the GSU style. The second class was somewhere in between. I expect this and future classes to move toward the SHSU model.
We had 241 passing attempts last year, good for 123 in the country so I'm not sure "perception" is really the issue here.
The 123rd looks worse than the 241. Anyone paying attention would see that this is a good offense for a QB who can run.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:
The 123rd looks worse than the 241. Anyone paying attention would see that this is a good offense for a QB who can run.
For perspective, Virginia Tech ranked 65th in passing attempts (there are 130 FBS schools). They had 412 attempts, more than 70% more than we did. We are a far, far cry from "normal". Doesn't mean we can't have a good offense or, as you said, be an attractive place for a running QB, but if those numbers continue, it will be a challenge to get good passers.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Backup Kentucky QB Danny Clark tweets plans to transfer
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... -transfer/

I have no thoughts that he would come here, but I feel like I've been doing this for every QB transfer. He's from Florida originally
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pro Style QB
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

I believe that Clark was third string. I think Gunnar Hoak was the back-up. Clark was, according to 247, the 15th rated pro style quarterback when he signed.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Has it started to sink in that there aren't that many quality dual threat QB's out there and therefore it's extremely unlikely that one is coming here? Yet we still want to pass on quality pro style QB's(not saying the Kentucky kid is quality now) The staff needs to do what they all claim to do- adjust to the talent they have.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:Has it started to sink in that there aren't that many quality dual threat QB's out there and therefore it's extremely unlikely that one is coming here? Yet we still want to pass on quality pro style QB's(not saying the Kentucky kid is quality now) The staff needs to do what they all claim to do- adjust to the talent they have.
Plus we may be changing our offense
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:Has it started to sink in that there aren't that many quality dual threat QB's out there and therefore it's extremely unlikely that one is coming here? Yet we still want to pass on quality pro style QB's(not saying the Kentucky kid is quality now) The staff needs to do what they all claim to do- adjust to the talent they have.
We might be changing offensive philosophies but we aren’t abandoning the QB run as an option.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

No pro style is going to come when they know Fritz is going to keep recruiting each year trying to get a QB that fits our offense. Why would such a kid come here?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

waverider wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
We might be changing offensive philosophies but we aren’t abandoning the QB run as an option.
Nor should we.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

I'm hoping to see a QB visit this weekend. There have been several decommits in the last few weeks whom we might want to look at. Charlie Dean from Plant High in Fla, decommitted from UCF in early November. Also, McIvor decommitted from Texas Tech. He's supposed to be really good. Also a QB decommitted from Louisville.

Assuming that we can't get any of those guys to visit, there is a guy in Texas who has put up some decent numbers, Chandler Rogers. I don't think that he is that highly rated.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »