Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

It looks like the last # was somehow chopped off in the story. There's a hyphen after "foot" that wouldn't be there if he meant to say "six feet tall."

Last edited by long green on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 pm 
Coach Level

Typo 6'6" on Guerry's site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm 
Riptide Level

Feature story about Connor Crabtree:

http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/article_f09b5aca-0910-11e8-b378-571966f0669f.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

Very nice story but two things stood out to me from the story (besides his almost 50% three point shooting): he lost an inch, he’s now 6’-5” and the AAC is a high major ( :thumbsup: )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 am 
Breaker Level

really interested to see what third guy we're gonna get for this class. Hopefully the two kids who have signed so far can contribute immediately. We need to have a deeper team next season.

Man, I wish Melvin would come back. We could seriously be good next season if he did. Doubtful, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:54 am 
Emerald Circle

someone at work today told me that they saw Frazier in a mock draft ( i think on espn) as going ion the first round. if that happens, obviously he is gone. will help recruiting in the long term, but means we take a step back next year. we cannot make up for losing that much scoring (when coupled with Reynolds).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
someone at work today told me that they saw Frazier in a mock draft ( i think on espn) as going ion the first round. if that happens, obviously he is gone. will help recruiting in the long term, but means we take a step back next year. we cannot make up for losing that much scoring (when coupled with Reynolds).

Anything but a first round and he should stay. MD has made him better and I feel MD will be honest and tell him whether he thinks going now or next year is his best bet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

Anything but a first round and he should stay. MD has made him better and I feel MD will be honest and tell him whether he thinks going now or next year is his best bet

Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent. Go through pre-draft camp and if the scouts guarantee you will be a first round pick stay in the draft. Second round contract are not guaranteed and often those guys don't make it because of sure numbers. If no guarantee, come back to school. The experience of going through that will make him a better player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 am 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent. Go through pre-draft camp and if the scouts guarantee you will be a first round pick stay in the draft. Second round contract are not guaranteed and often those guys don't make it because of sure numbers. If no guarantee, come back to school. The experience of going through that will make him a better player.

Agreed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm 
Breaker Level

I think he's a first round pick, but even if he's not I bet he still leaves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm 
Trainer

TulaneTiger wrote:

Hope Melvin doesn't leave, but imagine the recruiting power of the message "At Tulane, Coach Dunleavy prepares players to be NBA draft-ready". Next stop: recruits with the talent to be one and done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenHeart wrote:
TulaneTiger wrote:

Hope Melvin doesn't leave, but imagine the recruiting power of the message "At Tulane, Coach Dunleavy prepares players to be NBA draft-ready". Next stop: recruits with the talent to be one and done.

In one year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 am 
President's Circle

GreenHeart wrote:
TulaneTiger wrote:

There is that but we still need to win to attract big time recruits. We are more likely to win if Frazier come back for his senior year and the same argument can be made if he makes it to the NBA then. Add to it the sell of my players can graduate and and play in the NBA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 am 
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
GreenHeart wrote:
TulaneTiger wrote:

There is that but we still need to win to attract big time recruits. We are more likely to win if Frazier come back for his senior year and the same argument can be made if he makes it to the NBA then. Add to it the sell of my players can graduate and and play in the NBA.

No one cares if they graduate and play in NBA, just that they can play in the NBA. The better narrative is: "I took this raw uncoached talent and made him and NBA player in one (or two) year(s), and you aren't as raw and uncoached son."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm 
Breaker Level

I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know anything about our OOC schedule for the 2018-2019 season? I know Florida State comes to Devlin, but haven't really heard anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

TulaneTiger wrote:
I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know anything about our OOC schedule for the 2018-2019 season? I know Florida State comes to Devlin, but haven't really heard anything else.

Probably not made yet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm 
Regent's Circle

Frazier moving up (mock) draft boards, now projected to Spurs at 24:

Quote:
A significant part of San Antonio's wing rotation is up for free agency this summer, meaning this could very well be a position the Spurs look to address in the draft.

Frazier's stock has been moving in the right direction during a very impressive junior season at Tulane. He's a tremendous athlete, standing 6-foot-6 with a nearly 7-foot wingspan, and he's making 39 percent of his 3-pointers this season.

Starting salary: $1,819,800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:

Quote:
A significant part of San Antonio's wing rotation is up for free agency this summer, meaning this could very well be a position the Spurs look to address in the draft.

Frazier's stock has been moving in the right direction during a very impressive junior season at Tulane. He's a tremendous athlete, standing 6-foot-6 with a nearly 7-foot wingspan, and he's making 39 percent of his 3-pointers this season.

Why do these reports keep touting his 3 point percentage? He hasn’t taken a ton and is just not a real NBA threat from 3 at this point. We can debate whether he is an NBA player but 3 point shooting while improved is just not a plus in his column.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 pm 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:

Quote:

more importantly...2 years of that salary guaranteed. you can't pass that up if it's out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 am 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Quote:

Why do these reports keep touting his 3 point percentage? He hasn’t taken a ton and is just not a real NBA threat from 3 at this point. We can debate whether he is an NBA player but 3 point shooting while improved is just not a plus in his column.

I would guess the improvement from <30% career numbers along with decent enough FT% is enough to show that there's something to work with if nothing else. He's getting drafted for his defense/athleticism, that there may be potential to hit the NBA 3 is the cherry on top of the elusive 3 and D sundae.

That said, he's taking >3 a game which is a decent amount and I'd guess he could hit a respectable rate from the short corner of the NBA line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 am 
Emerald Circle

proving once again as it relates to Conroy that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:33 pm 
Coach Level

Conroy recruited a lot of good players during his tenure. Problem was most of them left the program. Also remember his son is still on the team and is a very nice kid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

problem was he didn't recruit a lot of good players, he recruited some. But never enough to reach anything close to critical mass. Or he would still be here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
problem was he didn't recruit a lot of good players, he recruited some. But never enough to reach anything close to critical mass. Or he would still be here.

He could have had 5 Melvin Fraziers on the floor but if they were passing it around the perimeter until the shot clock almost expired and then jacking a desperate 3, he still wouldn't have won enough to stick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

that too :lol:

Conroy's infamous motion offense(?) which seemed to entail a lot of passing around the perimeter before launching a prayer.