Connor Crabtree commits for hoops...2018 SG/F

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Connor Crabtree commits for hoops...2018 SG/F

Unread post by long green »

It looks like the last # was somehow chopped off in the story. There's a hyphen after "foot" that wouldn't be there if he meant to say "six feet tall."
Last edited by long green on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

Typo 6'6" on Guerry's site.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Unread post by SomeBiz »

Feature story about Connor Crabtree:

http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/arti ... 0669f.html
Tulane class of '79
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Very nice story but two things stood out to me from the story (besides his almost 50% three point shooting): he lost an inch, he’s now 6’-5” and the AAC is a high major ( :thumbsup: )
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Unread post by TulaneTiger »

really interested to see what third guy we're gonna get for this class. Hopefully the two kids who have signed so far can contribute immediately. We need to have a deeper team next season.

Man, I wish Melvin would come back. We could seriously be good next season if he did. Doubtful, though.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

someone at work today told me that they saw Frazier in a mock draft ( i think on espn) as going ion the first round. if that happens, obviously he is gone. will help recruiting in the long term, but means we take a step back next year. we cannot make up for losing that much scoring (when coupled with Reynolds).
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Yankeewave wrote:someone at work today told me that they saw Frazier in a mock draft ( i think on espn) as going ion the first round. if that happens, obviously he is gone. will help recruiting in the long term, but means we take a step back next year. we cannot make up for losing that much scoring (when coupled with Reynolds).

Anything but a first round and he should stay. MD has made him better and I feel MD will be honest and tell him whether he thinks going now or next year is his best bet
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:someone at work today told me that they saw Frazier in a mock draft ( i think on espn) as going ion the first round. if that happens, obviously he is gone. will help recruiting in the long term, but means we take a step back next year. we cannot make up for losing that much scoring (when coupled with Reynolds).

Anything but a first round and he should stay. MD has made him better and I feel MD will be honest and tell him whether he thinks going now or next year is his best bet
Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent. Go through pre-draft camp and if the scouts guarantee you will be a first round pick stay in the draft. Second round contract are not guaranteed and often those guys don't make it because of sure numbers. If no guarantee, come back to school. The experience of going through that will make him a better player.
windywave
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:

Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent. Go through pre-draft camp and if the scouts guarantee you will be a first round pick stay in the draft. Second round contract are not guaranteed and often those guys don't make it because of sure numbers. If no guarantee, come back to school. The experience of going through that will make him a better player.
Agreed
#cousins don't count
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

I think he's a first round pick, but even if he's not I bet he still leaves.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Unread post by GreenHeart »

TulaneTiger wrote:I think he's a first round pick, but even if he's not I bet he still leaves.
Hope Melvin doesn't leave, but imagine the recruiting power of the message "At Tulane, Coach Dunleavy prepares players to be NBA draft-ready". Next stop: recruits with the talent to be one and done.
windywave
Emerald Circle

GreenHeart wrote:
TulaneTiger wrote:I think he's a first round pick, but even if he's not I bet he still leaves.
Hope Melvin doesn't leave, but imagine the recruiting power of the message "At Tulane, Coach Dunleavy prepares players to be NBA draft-ready". Next stop: recruits with the talent to be one and done.
In one year
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

GreenHeart wrote:
There is that but we still need to win to attract big time recruits. We are more likely to win if Frazier come back for his senior year and the same argument can be made if he makes it to the NBA then. Add to it the sell of my players can graduate and and play in the NBA.
windywave
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
GreenHeart wrote:
There is that but we still need to win to attract big time recruits. We are more likely to win if Frazier come back for his senior year and the same argument can be made if he makes it to the NBA then. Add to it the sell of my players can graduate and and play in the NBA.
No one cares if they graduate and play in NBA, just that they can play in the NBA. The better narrative is: "I took this raw uncoached talent and made him and NBA player in one (or two) year(s), and you aren't as raw and uncoached son."
#cousins don't count
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know anything about our OOC schedule for the 2018-2019 season? I know Florida State comes to Devlin, but haven't really heard anything else.
windywave
Emerald Circle

TulaneTiger wrote:I asked this in another thread, but does anyone know anything about our OOC schedule for the 2018-2019 season? I know Florida State comes to Devlin, but haven't really heard anything else.
Probably not made yet
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Frazier moving up (mock) draft boards, now projected to Spurs at 24:
A significant part of San Antonio's wing rotation is up for free agency this summer, meaning this could very well be a position the Spurs look to address in the draft.

Frazier's stock has been moving in the right direction during a very impressive junior season at Tulane. He's a tremendous athlete, standing 6-foot-6 with a nearly 7-foot wingspan, and he's making 39 percent of his 3-pointers this season.

Starting salary: $1,819,800
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

ml wave wrote:Frazier moving up (mock) draft boards, now projected to Spurs at 24:
A significant part of San Antonio's wing rotation is up for free agency this summer, meaning this could very well be a position the Spurs look to address in the draft.

Frazier's stock has been moving in the right direction during a very impressive junior season at Tulane. He's a tremendous athlete, standing 6-foot-6 with a nearly 7-foot wingspan, and he's making 39 percent of his 3-pointers this season.

Why do these reports keep touting his 3 point percentage? He hasn’t taken a ton and is just not a real NBA threat from 3 at this point. We can debate whether he is an NBA player but 3 point shooting while improved is just not a plus in his column.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

ml wave wrote:Frazier moving up (mock) draft boards, now projected to Spurs at 24:

more importantly...2 years of that salary guaranteed. you can't pass that up if it's out there.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

NJwave wrote:

Why do these reports keep touting his 3 point percentage? He hasn’t taken a ton and is just not a real NBA threat from 3 at this point. We can debate whether he is an NBA player but 3 point shooting while improved is just not a plus in his column.
I would guess the improvement from <30% career numbers along with decent enough FT% is enough to show that there's something to work with if nothing else. He's getting drafted for his defense/athleticism, that there may be potential to hit the NBA 3 is the cherry on top of the elusive 3 and D sundae.

That said, he's taking >3 a game which is a decent amount and I'd guess he could hit a respectable rate from the short corner of the NBA line.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

proving once again as it relates to Conroy that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Conroy recruited a lot of good players during his tenure. Problem was most of them left the program. Also remember his son is still on the team and is a very nice kid.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

problem was he didn't recruit a lot of good players, he recruited some. But never enough to reach anything close to critical mass. Or he would still be here.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker wrote:problem was he didn't recruit a lot of good players, he recruited some. But never enough to reach anything close to critical mass. Or he would still be here.
He could have had 5 Melvin Fraziers on the floor but if they were passing it around the perimeter until the shot clock almost expired and then jacking a desperate 3, he still wouldn't have won enough to stick.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

that too :lol:

Conroy's infamous motion offense(?) which seemed to entail a lot of passing around the perimeter before launching a prayer.