We have a hoops grad transfer on campus this weekend

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Donny Z
President's Circle

We have a hoops grad transfer on campus this weekend

Unread post by Donny Z »

Looks like a big get if we can get him.

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/ ... 71552?s=21
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: We have a hoops grad transfer on campus this weekend

Unread post by NJwave »

We have open spots so why not. Second leading scorer on team and 38% from 3. Will be 23 when the season starts. We could a few grad transfers to contribute immediately without taking up scholarships for more than a year.
mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Unread post by mandevillewave »

At 6'0" he is likely more a PG than a 2. He averaged 3 assists / game.
He could allow Ona Embo to move to the wing.

My question is can he defend the PG's in the AAC ?

Also USC Upstate is where Dave Dickerson just took over as the Head Coach
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

mandevillewave wrote:At 6'0" he is likely more a PG than a 2. He averaged 3 assists / game.
He could allow Ona Embo to move to the wing.

My question is can he defend the PG's in the AAC ?

Also USC Upstate is where Dave Dickerson just took over as the Head Coach
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37316
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Competing with Louisville and Oklahoma for guy. Holding off Memphis for Crabtree. Recruiting is certainly on a uptick. Will be real interesting starting Wednesday to see who we sign this spring.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Oklahoma State now in the mix as well

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 0948301825

Fear the Wave said his visit to us went well - https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 6688166914
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

a Grad Transfer who wants a shot at the Pro's is going to be looking for a place where he can play right away and showcase his talents. He just doesn't have the time to spend on the bench or being the second guy off the bench. He's going to be looking for a place that has the media exposure where Scouts can see him, he's going to be looking at what Program or HC can best groom him for the Pro's and, with a 4.2 GPA he and his family may want to wrap that up around a top academic institution.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Everything you said is gospel truth, GB. But it has been for years and it's not won many battles against "power" schools in the past.

Ugh, I can't believe we're in a recruiting battle against (among others) my high school teammate. You'd think any recruit would be scared to go to Louisville, especially a one year grad transfer, as the sanctions hammer could drop on them any second and leave the transfer with no chance at titles or postseason.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:Everything you said is gospel truth, GB. But it has been for years and it's not won many battles against "power" schools in the past.

Ugh, I can't believe we're in a recruiting battle against (among others) my high school teammate. You'd think any recruit would be scared to go to Louisville, especially a one year grad transfer, as the sanctions hammer could drop on them any second and leave the transfer with no chance at titles or postseason.
Then again, if it's titles or postseason he's after, why are we on the list?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Everything you said is gospel truth, GB. But it has been for years and it's not won many battles against "power" schools in the past.

Fair point. :oops:
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Fair point. :oops:
How many grad transfers have gone on to NBA careers? I'm honestly scratching my head trying to name some. In today's climate of one and done, you are considered ancient by junior year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I would hope that his recruiting is "and" and not "either, or."

Recruiting summary: You will get good academics, we will better prepare you for basketball future (however that is defined) than alternatives, you will (probably) get playing time and, yes, we are playing to win.

I know the last is aspirational based on recent experience of Tulane's record but it's still a goal. Our AD still proclaims it as one of his benchmarks to evaluate coaching performance. (If not I guess the ghost of Rufus Harris still haunts us and all the tin foil talk is not really that.)
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »