Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 am 
Offline
Riptide Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:42 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Connecticut
Tulane has offered SF Keyshawn Bryant, 6-6, 175 lbs, in the 2018 class. Bryant has or had competing offers from more than half a dozen programs, including Wichita State, Memphis, UCF and South Florida.

Bryan is from Winter Haven, FL, and rated as a 4-star prospect by ESPN.

_________________
Tulane class of '79


Last edited by SomeBiz on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: New Orleans
averaged 22.5 pts and 8 rebs per game this season. Keyshawn Bryant.
http://www.theledger.com/sports/2018033 ... nstoppable


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:42 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
In depth article on Kevin from last year: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ll-pioneer

Wow, that story makes you think we got a real steal until you get to the last 5 paragraphs where it completely turns around. One minute it's how athletic and quick and talented he is, while working out in front of pro scouts, and then suddenly it ends with:
Quote:
Still a year from graduating, Zhang will play AAU this year, hoping to test the waters for Division I basketball. If he continues to improve, he could do well in a mid-major program, according to Biancardi.

"The speed of the game and its physicality right now is a bit much for him," said Biancardi, who was at the Dick's tournament. "He needs to be stronger and rebound more."

"He needs to get tougher," Heirman agreed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2911
Location: New Orleans
of course the story was written a year ago in April 2017; so maybe he's gotten a bit tougher by now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New hoops offer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
My only concern is whether he fills an actual need.
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.

As with all HS players...but we're not exactly swimming with top 200 guys with UCLA/KSU level offers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24613
Location: New Orleans
You either have the taste for contact necessary for a rebounder or you don’t. I don’t think his frame is an obstacle. After a year of growth he should be okay; he’s not beating out Sehic this fall anyway. He just needs to be good enough this year to give good minutes when he’s called on. Going by everything he looks like an unimpeachably solid spring addition.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New hoops offer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
My only concern is whether he fills an actual need.
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.

As with all HS players...but we're not exactly swimming with top 200 guys with UCLA/KSU level offers.
What I see in the video doesn't match the offers, and I'll leave it at that and hope I'm just clueless about what to look for in youtube video compilations.

I'm really just concerned about whether we can defend anyone. We haven't (for the most part) in MD's two years, save for that guy who's most likely getting drafted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3380
Location: Marietta, GA
NJwave wrote:
We are by far the most diverse college basketball team in the country. We could start a line up with a French point guard, Canadian shooting guard, Chinese Small forward, Bosnian power forward and South Sudanese center and have a 6th man from South Sudan as well.


That time-out huddle is going to get very big, what with all the interpreters in it. I hope MD can draw really, really well.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:26 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18853
Location: Chicago
Rotorooter wrote:
NJwave wrote:
We are by far the most diverse college basketball team in the country. We could start a line up with a French point guard, Canadian shooting guard, Chinese Small forward, Bosnian power forward and South Sudanese center and have a 6th man from South Sudan as well.


That time-out huddle is going to get very big, what with all the interpreters in it. I hope MD can draw really, really well.


This is [redacted] level for its stupidity and ignorance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
NJwave wrote:
We are by far the most diverse college basketball team in the country. We could start a line up with a French point guard, Canadian shooting guard, Chinese Small forward, Bosnian power forward and South Sudanese center and have a 6th man from South Sudan as well.


That time-out huddle is going to get very big, what with all the interpreters in it. I hope MD can draw really, really well.


This is [redacted] level for its stupidity and ignorance.

Dude, I think he was kidding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New hoops offer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4179
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
My only concern is whether he fills an actual need.
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.

As with all HS players...but we're not exactly swimming with top 200 guys with UCLA/KSU level offers.
What I see in the video doesn't match the offers, and I'll leave it at that and hope I'm just clueless about what to look for in youtube video compilations.

I'm really just concerned about whether we can defend anyone. We haven't (for the most part) in MD's two years, save for that guy who's most likely getting drafted.


Defense and rebounding to put it mildly have been below par under Dunleavy. I’m not sure if any of these recruits change that narrative. They all look like small forwards because of their height with body types that don’t scream they can rebound or keep a player out of the lane. We have an entire roster littered with guys that need to get stronger. Outside of Cornish, Daniels and Sehic nobody looks like they can mix it up. I really like Sehic as a 4. We still need a legit 5 and a fast, playmaking point guard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 2899
Location: Destin, FL
If you look at the photos of Crabtree in his post-grad season at Hargrave Military Academy, he certainly looks like he's hit the weight room and can mix it up

http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/arti ... ge&photo=0

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Connor-Crabt ... -117219310

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6076


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Crabtree looks like an instant contributor, except that he's at a position where we're quite full already. But we should talk about him in his thread. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
Looking at the way Ryan Smith dramatically improved under Dunleavy's team of coaches, I'd bet Zhang and the other recruits can become more complete players underneath after a season or two of development. If not they will move on like Harris did who for whatever reasons could not/did not significantly improve his non-shooting skills.

As relates to this season (and maybe my expectations are low), I'm just hoping for good role playing from the recruits and the returning folks especially Ajang and Koka to make the difference underneath.

My other obvious guess is MD will hold Frazier's schollie in his pocket until June when Melvin's NBA status becomes definite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19815
Location: New Orleans
what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18853
Location: Chicago
GreenieBacker wrote:
what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc

DePaul sucks and has sucked for 15 to 20 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24613
Location: New Orleans
That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19815
Location: New Orleans
showing my age I guess :-D

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17888
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
GreenieBacker wrote:
showing my age I guess :-D

You are not alone. I’m still seeing Coach Meyer, the older one, busting out of his shirt collar on DePaul’s sideline and he’s been dead for awhile.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18853
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
showing my age I guess :-D

You are not alone. I’m still seeing Coach Meyer, the older one, busting out of his shirt collar on DePaul’s sideline and he’s been dead for awhile.


I was really young back then when they were good. The Horizon was a sell out for every game. Sigh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18853
Location: Chicago
long green wrote:
That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.


So you agree they are bad? Probably the worst major school basketball program in the area


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 2899
Location: Destin, FL
GreenieBacker wrote:
what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc


Given the follow up posts you should take DePaul out but add k state and BYU and you can still be impressed. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
windywave wrote:
long green wrote:
That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.

So you agree they are bad? Probably the worst major school basketball program in the area

Yup, subconsciously thinking of DePaul as a good basketball school definitely dates you to being "of a certain age" (as in, over a certain age).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3802
Location: Wichita
Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18853
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin


I was thinking Strickland and Aguirre... fuzzy memories of Aguirre granted due to age but I remember the name on the TV amd one of them missed a free throw in the tournament so had to intentionally miss the second.... didn't work out


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group