Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 am 
President's Circle

AJ Lawson - a 6’ 7” Canadian prospect has reclassified to 2018 and lists creighton, South Carolina, Oregon, Tulane and Smu as his final 5. He’s visited South Carolina and will take other visits after June 17th. Baylor, Maryland, New Mexico and Vandy are amongst the others who have offered.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/AJ-La ... tInterests

http://northpolehoops.com/2018/05/27/aj ... 8klhz6b.99

https://twitter.com/tempowbr/status/100 ... 37888?s=21

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:06 am 
President's Circle

We can't get players of that caliber :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:14 am 
Navigator Level

He's not of that caliber, i.e., a transformative player .

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am 
President's Circle

Mr. Lawson needs to step right in for Melvin Frazier at Tulane, get on that NBA train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE3ygnuWiUE

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
He's not of that caliber, i.e., a transformative player .

He is #42 on 24/7's 2019 recruit list. If you don't count that as transformative, I don't know what would be.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 am 
Navigator Level

I hope we get him and he is transformative but in time it will be shown he's not. It's funny how people love to rag these services when our players are rated low but want to point to them when they rate one high. Look at the transfer Walker. High ratings but averaged less than two points a game.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 am 
President's Circle

Hopefully Shakwon Barrett can help reel him in. This guy has big time potential and would be a serious get.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
I hope we get him and he is transformative but in time it will be shown he's not. It's funny how people love to rag these services when our players are rated low but want to point to them when they rate one high. Look at the transfer Walker. High ratings but averaged less than two points a game.

???? Either he is transformative or he is not. (I don't have a dog in this fight.) It's an open question but it's fair to ask you to put both your mug and your wump on the same side of the fence.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:

He was injured and then was upset he wasn't getting playing time. It showed a complete lack of maturity which scares me more than anything. Hopefully, the year off will allow him to settle in and mature some. Freshman statistics always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Some guys are ready to contribute immediately and some aren't. I always go back to the quote "The best thing about Freshman is they become Sophomores."

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:

So you're only going to judge transformative in hindsight? Or he can't be transformative if he picks us? Just getting a top 50 guy creates buzz. That can be transformative in itself. And I don't rag on the services for that. The services are what they are. They are mostly a reflection of who is recruiting the recruit. To be in the same game as Baylor, Oregon, SC, etc will raise recruit ratings.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:49 am 
Emerald Circle

I've got to think Frazier becoming a possible First Round pick has to have these top recruits paying attention to us.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:35 pm 
Navigator Level

NJwave wrote:
wavedom wrote:

He was injured and then was upset he wasn't getting playing time. It showed a complete lack of maturity which scares me more than anything. Hopefully, the year off will allow him to settle in and mature some. Freshman statistics always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Some guys are ready to contribute immediately and some aren't. I always go back to the quote "The best thing about Freshman is they become Sophomores."

I agree and that's why Walker is not transformative. He needs time and those are the types we''ll get and MD has shown he can improve players like that. That's going to be our formula for success in this sport. That's my point.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm 
Navigator Level

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:

So you're only going to judge transformative in hindsight? Or he can't be transformative if he picks us? Just getting a top 50 guy creates buzz. That can be transformative in itself. And I don't rag on the services for that. The services are what they are. They are mostly a reflection of who is recruiting the recruit. To be in the same game as Baylor, Oregon, SC, etc will raise recruit ratings.

I'm not using hindsight. Just signing such a player is not transformative. There are much higher rated players that have been total bust for schools. The only way for one to be transformative is to be able to come in and lift the team on his shoulders from day one.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
NJwave wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I agree and that's why Walker is not transformative. He needs time and those are the types we''ll get and MD has shown he can improve players like that. That's going to be our formula for success in this sport. That's my point.

I don’t think anyone would have expected Walker to be transformative. Lawson is ranked much higher.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:13 pm 
Navigator Level

Like Walker Lawson will need time. He's slightly built and played in Canada where he wasn't facing qualaity opposition on a regular basis. He's not coming in and putting our program on his shoulders.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
Like Walker Lawson will need time. He's slightly built and played in Canada where he wasn't facing qualaity opposition on a regular basis. He's not coming in and putting our program on his shoulders.

That’s a pretty safe bet. Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz couldn’t even do that.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm 
Navigator Level

randymc wrote:
Mr. Lawson needs to step right in for Melvin Frazier at Tulane, get on that NBA train.

Randy thanks for posting that. This isn't aimed at you but usually highlight reels are misleading in a positive way. I can't believe he let somone put this out there. It certainly makes one wonder how he achieved that rating. He must have better film out there.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:14 pm 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
randymc wrote:

Randy thanks for posting that. This isn't aimed at you but usually highlight reels are misleading in a positive way. I can't believe he let somone put this out there. It certainly makes one wonder how he achieved that rating. He must have better film out there.

You watched that video and didn’t think he was good?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm 
Coach Level

Jordan Walker was a 2018 player who reclassified to 2017.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:21 pm 
President's Circle

I don’t understand this transformative discussion. In order to win we need better players. This kid would represent an upgrade in talent. Jordan “Jelly” Walker is an upgrade from Slater who left. Michael Jordan is not coming to Tulane.

In order to make a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich you need bread, peanut butter and jelly. Well, we now have our “jelly.” It is time to find the other ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:48 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
randymc wrote:

No. Did you think he looked good? Do you think he looked like the #42 prospect?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm 
Navigator Level

NJwave wrote:
I don’t understand this transformative discussion. In order to win we need better players. This kid would represent an upgrade in talent. Jordan “Jelly” Walker is an upgrade from Slater who left. Michael Jordan is not coming to Tulane.

In order to make a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich you need bread, peanut butter and jelly. Well, we now have our “jelly.” It is time to find the other ingredients.

NJ you and I are in agreement. This conversation started with me posting in the state of athletics thread that if one of the two sports between baseball and basketball surprised us next year it would be baseball. gerry and windy came with the mantra that's long been around that it's easy to fix basketball because it just takes one player. Well my response was we aren't getting that type of player that can singlehandedly change the program. Like you I believe we need to get better players and then keep them together and get that advantage that experience gives you. There are programs having success with that and those fans are enjoying watching their teams play. I want the same for us. To be clear too this became about possibly getting Lawson. That's who is really being discussed.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 pm 
President's Circle

I think you can win in college basketball with 3 and 4 star guys that are not quite good enough to go pro early and therefore stay for 4 years. Give me 5 good to very good juniors and seniors in my starting line up and I will be compete against your very good to great freshman and sophomores. It is why the Kent State’s, George Mason’s, VCU’s, Butler’s, Loyola’s and Wichita State’s have made runs with lesser talent. In some cases they have had one great player but mostly won with experienced point guards and were very well coached.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:13 pm 
Coach Level

It has been a long time since Tulane had an upperclassmen laden team. We will be young again this year.

Kentucky took a hard look at A J Lawson. Enough said.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:24 pm 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
randymc wrote:

No. Did you think he looked good? Do you think he looked like the #42 prospect?

I thought he looked pretty good. Hard to discern how good in such a short video