Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Number 8?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

FL WR Dante Wright tweeted his commitment to Tulane just a few minutes ago Plays all over the place.. Looks bigger than his listed 5'9" 160. Ten other 1-a offers. Player of the year in Pensacola as a junior after scoring 28 td's. Ran just under 11 seconds in the 100 meters this spring.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pnj.com/amp/860213002

https://247sports.com/Player/Dante-Wright-46051316/

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5253819/5a ... 0a40942d88

Post subject: Re: Number 8?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

Interest from Kentucky & UCF, offers from Toledo & FAU among others.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

No one can seem to catch him. Good running instincts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:45 pm 
Coach Level

I'm glad to see recruiting here in NW Florida. We have had a lot of players in this area go to top schools...it is a hotbed of talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

Hope his commitment sticks. Very fast, very elusive and very small. He may thrive under new hitting/tackling rules.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

I have to admit to liking those big physical WR’s but this young man looks too good to pass up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

We've brought those guys in, let's bring in a change of pace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

Advocate article says offers from SMU & Washington St: https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tulane/article_cea611f4-9375-11e8-9032-7744566985b4.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:27 pm 
President's Circle

Very speedy, elusive, and looks like Demaris Johnson.

How do you guys think this class is stacking up against last years class? Signed 25 last year with 13 being three stars who had some pretty good offers. This class is 1/3 of the way through and seems to be stacking up nicely. Love to see us get a couple of QB’s as soon as possible. Are we taking another step in the right direction as it relates to recruiting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:28 am 
Emerald Circle

Just by rankings, we signed a dozen guys last year with higher rankings than our highest ranked commit this year. But much of that was in period #2.
Not a lot of P6 offers so far.
Most of the recruits are OL, which has been our weak-spot on the field for a while, but also a position in which our coaches should know exactly what they need, so I trust that they are getting what they need. Hopefully the OL improves this fall and our O gets more efficient.
Always leery of Texas recruiting; our forays into Mississippi and Alabama have been productive recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 am 
President's Circle

The one thing that is obvious is the lack of P6 offers. Also, OL are very difficult to rate as a group. Coach Fritz knows what he is looking for and I expect this group to be an upgrade. Good point about TX vs. the southeast recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 am 
Emerald Circle

some of the highest rated recruits of the CJ era were on the OL. And pretty much they were all washouts. Too overweight, too slow of foot, too unathletic. If I watched an opposing DE fly past our Tackle on his way to the QB once, I must have watched that same scenario a hundred times............

I'm OK with this Staff's eye of talent on the OL, irregardless of Stars and other offers. Its the other positions where I really look for those things and we haven't had many recruits there so far. Still waiting to see a QB or two.............

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:37 am 
Navigator Level

.... irregardless .... :oops:

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:48 am 
Emerald Circle

Thank God Backer is on the case, otherwise the staff might omit signing any QB’s.

This group so far is a step back on the offers front from last year’s start. Three of the early commits could be called lightly recruited with one or no 1-a offers when they committed. One, the TE Richardson, is transitioning to a new sport so it’s not surprising that he wasn’t getting a lot of attention or hype. For another one of the trio, Orgeron, there’s evidence that things were starting to heat up for him when he pulled the trigger.

I’m not surprised we’re bringing in a lot of OL’s but it’s odd to bring in so many at one position group in such a clump. I’m not worried but I’ll note that at least three of these guys look like projects due to their size in a class where I think an older OL signee wouldn’t go amiss. I hope this is in part due to confidence of the staff in their freshman OL’s (including Jackel and Claybrook).

Last edited by long green on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:59 am 
Emerald Circle

just trying to keep them on the straight and narrow lg :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:16 am 
Navigator Level

long green wrote:
Thank God Backer is on the case, otherwise the staff might omit signing any QB’s.

This group so far is a step back on the offers front from last year’s start. Three of the early commits could be called lightly recruited with one or no 1-a offers when they committed. One, the TE Richardson, is transitioning to a new sport so it’s not surprising that he wasn’t getting a lot of attention or hype. For another one of the trio, Orgeron, there’s evidence that things were starting to heat up for him when he pulled the trigger.

I’m not surprised we’re bringing in a lot of OL’s but it’s odd to bring in so many at one position group in such a clump. I’m not worried but I’ll note that at least three of these guys look like projects due to their size in a class where I think an older OL signee wouldn’t go amiss. I hope this is in part due to confidence of the staff in their freshman OL’s (including Jackel and Claybrook).

I agree with this.... bringing in that many linemen will create competition and that is never a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 am 
Regent's Circle

olivengreen wrote:
long green wrote:

I agree with this.... bringing in that many linemen will create competition and that is never a bad thing.
olivengreen wrote:
long green wrote:

Sorry to be untypically cynical here but are we comparing apples to apples? No doubt these committed folks to date don't have the comparable resumes of the signed class from last year. But I have some memory that early commitments last year were churned before signing date, some by the players and apparently more than a little by the coaches.

In other words, a few of the commitments to date this year may be placeholding by the player and or the staff or even both until something better comes along.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

Fewer were churned last year compared to the year before (I’m pretty sure) but yeah, it should be remembered that above all things this staff has proven they are not complacent recruiters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

this Staff is certainly not complacent. Their willingness to jump on a better recruit if one presents himself and move on from a recruit they may have grown cold on has been surprising to me who was used to an opposite approach from previous Staff (a maybe more lazy approach?)

the last recruiting class was probably the best I've seen here in decades will be hard to beat that this year. Everything seemed to fall in place for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:30 pm 
President's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
.... irregardless .... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:47 pm 
President's Circle

We can beat last years class. Reason is same staff and winning season. From an OL standpoint, you have to figure the past two classes are what the staff is building around in 2019. You will have Tyler Johnson, McLeod, Dublin, Jackel, Claybrook, Hogan, Remondet, Swann, and Lewerenz. TU23 knows football recruiting better than anyone on this site and I wonder what his thoughts are at this point.

Also, I saw that Devon Johnson is at 295. That is outstanding work. Hope he gets a shot.

Regarding the kicking game, is Ryan Wright a place kicker/punter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:37 pm 
Regent's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
.... irregardless .... .

my wife used that the other day to be funny... the next day it slipped out unintentionally... I didn't let her forget it

we were both in agreeance that it's just a matter of time when irregardless is soon to be added as a real word instead of an accepted mistake

Ironically, agreeance (which actually is a real word but I used in jest above to be sarcastic) got a spell check underline, but irregardless did not.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!
Embiggens being a perfectly chromulent word.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
.... irregardless .... .

my wife used that the other day to be funny... the next day it slipped out unintentionally... I didn't let her forget it

we were both in agreeance that it's just a matter of time when irregardless is soon to be added as a real word instead of an accepted mistake

Ironically, agreeance (which actually is a real word but I used in jest above to be sarcastic) got a spell check underline, but irregardless did not.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man!
Embiggens being a perfectly chromulent word.

Stop attacking me! [Returns to safe space]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:

The old adage is that it is preferable for all OL to redshirt. I don’t know if I could tell you the last time we were able to redshirt a whole OL class. As for QB, I still think the staff is hoping Banks has a big season and some of the higher rated kids become interested.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 am 
Emerald Circle

wr I’m willing to bet that there are some promising QB recruits that are also waiting to see what Banks can do with this Offense as well. I do trust this Staff’s talent evaluation of OL talent hopefully we have the luxury to redshirt most of them.