Tulane getting a hoops recruit visitor this weekend

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Tulane getting a hoops recruit visitor this weekend

Post by randymc »

6-3 combo guard Nicolas Elame, who plays prep school ball in Arizona, will visit the Wave and Coach Dunleavy this weekend, based on Twitter reports. He is a very athletic guard, native of France. He is eligible to sign in November as a 2019 recruit.
some video highlights of the high flying Elame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDdTosTl9A
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane getting a hoops recruit visitor this weekend

Post by TUPF »

We have a built in translator.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

When Dunleavy said he had more worldwide contacts than other college coaches and therefore had a wider recruiting reach, I never expected our team would turn into the UN...
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Isn’t that the way Gonzaga built its program?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Exactly right tjtja. Gonzaga wasn’t able to compete for local recruits so they went international and the rest is history
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Good hops. 9 minutes of dunks and steals. Can he shoot? Handle the ball? You know, the thing that guards do.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:Exactly right tjtja. Gonzaga wasn’t able to compete for local recruits so they went international and the rest is history
All those local Spokane recruits
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

OK, West Coast. That better?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:OK, West Coast. That better?
Sure. I think when you're trying to sell someone on Spokane, it's easier if they come from somewhere other than LA, Vegas, etc. Really though, big time basketball recruiting is on such a national scale, I'm guessing Gonzaga saw the inefficiency internationally and decided to take advantage.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
Sure. I think when you're trying to sell someone on Spokane, it's easier if they come from somewhere other than LA, Vegas, etc. Really though, big time basketball recruiting is on such a national scale, I'm guessing Gonzaga saw the inefficiency internationally and decided to take advantage.
One could also argue that it only became an untapped market in the past few decades since overseas players began to have the means (places to play, decent competition, good coaching) to compete at an American college level... maybe Gonzaga was simply smart enough to be on the forefront.

The first time I recall a foreign player having a real college impact was Andrew Gaze, the kid Seton Hall had from Australia when they lost to Michigan in the 1989 finals. He had actually played pro ball overseas (somehow this wasn't an issue?) before coming to play in America. But successful foreigners on US college teams are certainly more the exception than the rule, and outside of Gonzaga it doesn't seem like you hear about more than one on any particular team.

I'm sure ml will do extensive research to tell us all the foreign players I've forgotten.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
One could also argue that it only became an untapped market in the past few decades since overseas players began to have the means (places to play, decent competition, good coaching) to compete at an American college level... maybe Gonzaga was simply smart enough to be on the forefront.

The first time I recall a foreign player having a real college impact was Andrew Gaze, the kid Seton Hall had from Australia when they lost to Michigan in the 1989 finals. He had actually played pro ball overseas (somehow this wasn't an issue?) before coming to play in America. But successful foreigners on US college teams are certainly more the exception than the rule, and outside of Gonzaga it doesn't seem like you hear about more than one on any particular team.

I'm sure ml will do extensive research to tell us all the foreign players I've forgotten.
St Mary's has also become fairly famous for doing this.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

seemed like years ago there were more international players in college making an impact. Appears like now the best ones play over there until they've matured their game enough to go straight to the Pro's. Bypassing college over here.

This Parade may have passed on by but Dunleavy still seems to think this is a way to go.