2019 Master List - Football

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Re: 2019 Master List - Football

Unread post by Wavery »

tjtlja wrote:I will start with commitments I think we have and add to it as I can (as of 11/25, we rank 108 nationally, and 11th in the AAC) .

As of 12/14/18, per 247 we rate at 81 in the country and rank 19th in AAC.
tjtlja, do you mean 9th? 10th?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wavery wrote:
tjtlja wrote:I will start with commitments I think we have and add to it as I can (as of 11/25, we rank 108 nationally, and 11th in the AAC) .

Eleventieth
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Wavery wrote:

9th - I need an editor!
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

tjtlja wrote:With the commitment of Ball, I have us at 17 commits. This includes McCleskey and Montano, and excludes Hodges. With 8 scholarships left, my wish list would be -

1. QB - Lance Legendre or Jackson Thomson
2. OL - Nate Clifton
3. DE - Kevin Hester
4. WR - Chandler Whitfield
5. LB - ??? - we need one, especially if Hodges is gone
6. DB - Tyrone Lewis and Tyler Scott

If I get 2 right, I will be surprised.
1. Thomson committed to La. Tech. I'd be surprised if Legendre signs early. I think that we either sign Peyton Matocha on Wednesday or wait to see whom we can sign later.
2. I think that we need more than just Clifton. We need a JC transfer or another Grad transfer.
3. Hester, even though unrated, has some good offers. Unless we get a really good DE, I'd be tempted to go with what currently on the roster, especially if we get Hodges.
4. Whitfield is a little guy. I'm not sure that I would sign such a diminutive WR. I'd be looking for one who is at least 6'2.
5. Even with Hodges (who looks like a guy who can swing between LB and DE) and the commitment of Dixon, I'd want another LB. With Harris graduating, we are light at that position ad could use another one.
6. I agree that Lewis and Scott would be great to get.

If you get two right, I kind of hope that it's Lewis and Scott. One of them could be the next Monroe.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

ThePig wrote:
tjtlja wrote:With the commitment of Ball, I have us at 17 commits. This includes McCleskey and Montano, and excludes Hodges. With 8 scholarships left, my wish list would be -

1. QB - Lance Legendre or Jackson Thomson
2. OL - Nate Clifton
3. DE - Kevin Hester
4. WR - Chandler Whitfield
5. LB - ??? - we need one, especially if Hodges is gone
6. DB - Tyrone Lewis and Tyler Scott

If I get 2 right, I will be surprised.
1. Thomson committed to La. Tech. I'd be surprised if Legendre signs early. I think that we either sign Peyton Matocha on Wednesday or wait to see whom we can sign later.
2. I think that we need more than just Clifton. We need a JC transfer or another Grad transfer.
3. Hester, even though unrated, has some good offers. Unless we get a really good DE, I'd be tempted to go with what currently on the roster, especially if we get Hodges.
4. Whitfield is a little guy. I'm not sure that I would sign such a diminutive WR. I'd be looking for one who is at least 6'2.
5. Even with Hodges (who looks like a guy who can swing between LB and DE) and the commitment of Dixon, I'd want another LB. With Harris graduating, we are light at that position ad could use another one.
6. I agree that Lewis and Scott would be great to get.

If you get two right, I kind of hope that it's Lewis and Scott. One of them could be the next Monroe.
The Pig, very good analysis. My reply -

1. I agree with you. It is either Matocha or no one until late period. I didn't know Thomson committed - really liked the film on him. Legendre is long shot and will probably wait until late period which should play into his favor. There will be a number of teams that will enter that lottery. I think we will probably get another transfer at some point (even if we get Matocha).
2. Totally agree. With Vandy offering, I think we don't get Clifton. Need a freshman and another grad transfer. We need numbers and quality.
3. Disagree. Hester is a terrific looking player and would be one of the best gets in this class. Cannot pass on him.
4. Whitfield is small, but quick as hell and dynamic. A perfect slot guy. When I read the West Monroe and Destrehan coaches saying they had to scheme for him, I'm sold. Another Demaris Johnson type player.
5. Totally agree. We need depth at the LB position. I am with you - Hodges plus another one. I know we are recruiting a couple of JUCO guys, so I do expect us to add depth.
6. Love to add Lewis and Scott. We would become the #2 DBU in the state if we added them to what we already have on the team (plus the current commitments).
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Donny Z wrote:Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.
He'll be at least 3-stars before signing day now
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Kevin Hester to North Carolina really hurts. Lots of reports last week said he committed to us late last week. Recruiting will break your heart. You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago. Time to move on to this next guy, but I really feel bad for Coach Fritz and the staff.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Mack/UNC screws Tulane yet again … Sure he had winning seasons his last two, but was trending down and saw the writing on the wall and left his recruits blowing in the breeze.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Have you watched UNC the last 2 years? They might take away all his stars.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Have you watched UNC the last 2 years? They might take away all his stars.
And outside of maybe a little bump they might get from hiring a "name" coach, I suspect his hire will go similarly to the "big name splash" hiring of Tommy Tuberville by Cincinnati a few years back. Where's the "young and hungry" drive for Mack? He's surely set for life already and I can't imagine he has the energy for late nights in the film room and on the recruiting trail. I wonder how they sold Hester.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

tjtlja wrote:Kevin Hester to North Carolina really hurts. Lots of reports last week said he committed to us late last week. Recruiting will break your heart. You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago. Time to move on to this next guy, but I really feel bad for Coach Fritz and the staff.
Maybe he sees our stable of young DEs and our conference leading 41 sacks and is worried about playing time?

Imagine losing a recruit because of depth at the position and not the dreaded P5/G5 distinction :-D
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Here's where we need to concentrate our collective energies for the next few days and on 'till February 6th. Keep the Momentum !!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Hester projects very well but he may not be a difference maker until he tries pro ball. He has played football one year and he may be more like an Aruna than say someone who immediately contributes.

Maybe Fritz will get some football karma and find a grad transfer on defensive line who will make a difference in 2019?

As an analogy, Hester is easier to replace than say what Fritz went through to plug the QB hole after all the transfers last year.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Backing up Johnson with Hatcher & Monjarres means we don’t HAVE to take a pass rusher. No doubt Hester intrigued the staff, though.

With 7 or 8 spots open the only areas where we need to take someone to flesh out a depth chart are (imo) QB, OL (2, I say), and ILB.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

we'll also have the DT we signed from DeLaSallle who we redhirted this year. Whose name I've forgotten.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:we'll also have the DT we signed from DeLaSallle who we redhirted this year. Whose name I've forgotten.
Jamiran James?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

that's the one
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by G-wave »

OL Clifton commited to vandy. Still a lot of talent out there.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote: You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago.
I guess we'll find out tomorrow if Tulane does have six to eight "signed" previously unreported commitments. Apparently Frtiz has adapted that this stuff only becomes public (whether "leaked" or not) if the athlete self-reports it in social media.

He seems to have adopted Dunleavy's policy that he is tired of being birddog for P5 programs looking for safety recruits to fill out their classes. It's a sign of respect for the talent evaluation skills of both Fritz and Dunleavy from their competitive peers that if either makes a hard effort to recruit someone maybe the P5 peers should give that recruit a second look or even in Hester's case a literal first look.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The biggest question right now is what is going on with our offensive coordinator. How will this effect tomorrow?
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

I don't think it will have much of an effect because none of the commitments or prospects have met him. I think they can be reassured that if it isn't Hall, it will be another coach who will help us open up the offense.
This one belongs to the Wave.