Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:46 pm
Posts: 1263
tjtlja wrote:
I will start with commitments I think we have and add to it as I can (as of 11/25, we rank 108 nationally, and 11th in the AAC) .

As of 12/14/18, per 247 we rate at 81 in the country and rank 19th in AAC.



tjtlja, do you mean 9th? 10th?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 pm 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
Wavery wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I will start with commitments I think we have and add to it as I can (as of 11/25, we rank 108 nationally, and 11th in the AAC) .

As of 12/14/18, per 247 we rate at 81 in the country and rank 19th in AAC.



tjtlja, do you mean 9th? 10th?

Eleventieth

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3207
Wavery wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
I will start with commitments I think we have and add to it as I can (as of 11/25, we rank 108 nationally, and 11th in the AAC) .

As of 12/14/18, per 247 we rate at 81 in the country and rank 19th in AAC.



tjtlja, do you mean 9th? 10th?


9th - I need an editor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 pm
Posts: 200
tjtlja wrote:
With the commitment of Ball, I have us at 17 commits. This includes McCleskey and Montano, and excludes Hodges. With 8 scholarships left, my wish list would be -

1. QB - Lance Legendre or Jackson Thomson
2. OL - Nate Clifton
3. DE - Kevin Hester
4. WR - Chandler Whitfield
5. LB - ??? - we need one, especially if Hodges is gone
6. DB - Tyrone Lewis and Tyler Scott

If I get 2 right, I will be surprised.


1. Thomson committed to La. Tech. I'd be surprised if Legendre signs early. I think that we either sign Peyton Matocha on Wednesday or wait to see whom we can sign later.
2. I think that we need more than just Clifton. We need a JC transfer or another Grad transfer.
3. Hester, even though unrated, has some good offers. Unless we get a really good DE, I'd be tempted to go with what currently on the roster, especially if we get Hodges.
4. Whitfield is a little guy. I'm not sure that I would sign such a diminutive WR. I'd be looking for one who is at least 6'2.
5. Even with Hodges (who looks like a guy who can swing between LB and DE) and the commitment of Dixon, I'd want another LB. With Harris graduating, we are light at that position ad could use another one.
6. I agree that Lewis and Scott would be great to get.

If you get two right, I kind of hope that it's Lewis and Scott. One of them could be the next Monroe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3207
ThePig wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
With the commitment of Ball, I have us at 17 commits. This includes McCleskey and Montano, and excludes Hodges. With 8 scholarships left, my wish list would be -

1. QB - Lance Legendre or Jackson Thomson
2. OL - Nate Clifton
3. DE - Kevin Hester
4. WR - Chandler Whitfield
5. LB - ??? - we need one, especially if Hodges is gone
6. DB - Tyrone Lewis and Tyler Scott

If I get 2 right, I will be surprised.


1. Thomson committed to La. Tech. I'd be surprised if Legendre signs early. I think that we either sign Peyton Matocha on Wednesday or wait to see whom we can sign later.
2. I think that we need more than just Clifton. We need a JC transfer or another Grad transfer.
3. Hester, even though unrated, has some good offers. Unless we get a really good DE, I'd be tempted to go with what currently on the roster, especially if we get Hodges.
4. Whitfield is a little guy. I'm not sure that I would sign such a diminutive WR. I'd be looking for one who is at least 6'2.
5. Even with Hodges (who looks like a guy who can swing between LB and DE) and the commitment of Dixon, I'd want another LB. With Harris graduating, we are light at that position ad could use another one.
6. I agree that Lewis and Scott would be great to get.

If you get two right, I kind of hope that it's Lewis and Scott. One of them could be the next Monroe.


The Pig, very good analysis. My reply -

1. I agree with you. It is either Matocha or no one until late period. I didn't know Thomson committed - really liked the film on him. Legendre is long shot and will probably wait until late period which should play into his favor. There will be a number of teams that will enter that lottery. I think we will probably get another transfer at some point (even if we get Matocha).
2. Totally agree. With Vandy offering, I think we don't get Clifton. Need a freshman and another grad transfer. We need numbers and quality.
3. Disagree. Hester is a terrific looking player and would be one of the best gets in this class. Cannot pass on him.
4. Whitfield is small, but quick as hell and dynamic. A perfect slot guy. When I read the West Monroe and Destrehan coaches saying they had to scheme for him, I'm sold. Another Demaris Johnson type player.
5. Totally agree. We need depth at the LB position. I am with you - Hodges plus another one. I know we are recruiting a couple of JUCO guys, so I do expect us to add depth.
6. Love to add Lewis and Scott. We would become the #2 DBU in the state if we added them to what we already have on the team (plus the current commitments).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 3010
Location: Destin, FL
Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3559
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Donny Z wrote:
Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.

He'll be at least 3-stars before signing day now

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3207
Kevin Hester to North Carolina really hurts. Lots of reports last week said he committed to us late last week. Recruiting will break your heart. You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago. Time to move on to this next guy, but I really feel bad for Coach Fritz and the staff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7400
Location: Dripping Springs
Mack/UNC screws Tulane yet again … Sure he had winning seasons his last two, but was trending down and saw the writing on the wall and left his recruits blowing in the breeze.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:49 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 30292
Location: Chattanooga, TN
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.

He'll be at least 3-stars before signing day now

Have you watched UNC the last 2 years? They might take away all his stars.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21195
Location: Cincinnati, OH
FW wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Hester committee to Mack brown and unc tonight.

He'll be at least 3-stars before signing day now

Have you watched UNC the last 2 years? They might take away all his stars.

And outside of maybe a little bump they might get from hiring a "name" coach, I suspect his hire will go similarly to the "big name splash" hiring of Tommy Tuberville by Cincinnati a few years back. Where's the "young and hungry" drive for Mack? He's surely set for life already and I can't imagine he has the energy for late nights in the film room and on the recruiting trail. I wonder how they sold Hester.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 279
Location: River Ridge
tjtlja wrote:
Kevin Hester to North Carolina really hurts. Lots of reports last week said he committed to us late last week. Recruiting will break your heart. You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago. Time to move on to this next guy, but I really feel bad for Coach Fritz and the staff.

Maybe he sees our stable of young DEs and our conference leading 41 sacks and is worried about playing time?

Imagine losing a recruit because of depth at the position and not the dreaded P5/G5 distinction :-D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7400
Location: Dripping Springs
Here's where we need to concentrate our collective energies for the next few days and on 'till February 6th. Keep the Momentum !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6399
Hester projects very well but he may not be a difference maker until he tries pro ball. He has played football one year and he may be more like an Aruna than say someone who immediately contributes.


Maybe Fritz will get some football karma and find a grad transfer on defensive line who will make a difference in 2019?


As an analogy, Hester is easier to replace than say what Fritz went through to plug the QB hole after all the transfers last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25178
Location: New Orleans
Backing up Johnson with Hatcher & Monjarres means we don’t HAVE to take a pass rusher. No doubt Hester intrigued the staff, though.

With 7 or 8 spots open the only areas where we need to take someone to flesh out a depth chart are (imo) QB, OL (2, I say), and ILB.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20452
Location: New Orleans
we'll also have the DT we signed from DeLaSallle who we redhirted this year. Whose name I've forgotten.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 pm 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
GreenieBacker wrote:
we'll also have the DT we signed from DeLaSallle who we redhirted this year. Whose name I've forgotten.

Jamiran James?

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20452
Location: New Orleans
that's the one

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:09 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:54 pm
Posts: 690
Location: neworleans
OL Clifton commited to vandy. Still a lot of talent out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6399
tjtlja wrote:
You have the inside track, invest so much time, and just because of this P5 BS, you lose the kid to a school and staff that didn't know who Kevin Hester was two weeks ago.


I guess we'll find out tomorrow if Tulane does have six to eight "signed" previously unreported commitments. Apparently Frtiz has adapted that this stuff only becomes public (whether "leaked" or not) if the athlete self-reports it in social media.

He seems to have adopted Dunleavy's policy that he is tired of being birddog for P5 programs looking for safety recruits to fill out their classes. It's a sign of respect for the talent evaluation skills of both Fritz and Dunleavy from their competitive peers that if either makes a hard effort to recruit someone maybe the P5 peers should give that recruit a second look or even in Hester's case a literal first look.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:44 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3207
The biggest question right now is what is going on with our offensive coordinator. How will this effect tomorrow?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2721
I don't think it will have much of an effect because none of the commitments or prospects have met him. I think they can be reassured that if it isn't Hall, it will be another coach who will help us open up the offense.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group