Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 am 
Navigator Level

Do ya'll think the silence about recruiting is by design or is it a sign of no good news to report?

This early recruiting stuff has really changed things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am 
Regent's Circle

*y'all

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 am 
Navigator Level

Only on a Tulane Forum...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am 
Coach Level

Wavery wrote:
Only on a Tulane Forum...

So tell me, how fast do you think the sky is falling?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am 
Navigator Level

I don't think the sky is falling at all. My question had/has no agenda. I was asking an honest question because I have no idea about recruiting and how it's being played these days with the early recruiting period.

Then I get my spelling corrected then a sarcastic/passive aggressive comment. Guess it's time for me to take a break from here.

Losing is enough to make it difficult to be a Tulane fan, then one has to deal with self-righteous pretentious a$$e$.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am 
President's Circle

There is a pretty tight lid on information this year. There have been several official visits in the past two weeks, many more than have been reported in the media and on twitter including some pretty high profile guys. As far as commitments are concerned, I think its fair to say that Keshon Williams committed this weekend based on the change in his twitter profile to "Tulane commit." There are a handful of players who played in State Championship games this weekend on campus right now on officials that started yesterday.

Remember this as well, Fritz has asked that certain players not announce their commitments in the past for fear of poaching. For instance, Marvin Moody and Cam Sample are two who were definitely encouraged not to say anything until their names were on the dotted line.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am 
Emerald Circle

I didn’t know y’all/ya’ll had a proper spellin’. 8)

Some folks here would not have lasted 24 hours in the military. :coolshades:

Like ADM Rickover used to say, if I can make you squeal in 20 minutes, what’s going to happen when you are up to your donkey butt in alligators?

OTOH, it’s good natured give and take that passes the time. Out and out bullying will get you a blanket party.

Last edited by TUPF on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:

You all or ya all? I go with the former.
Wavery, go back to bed, get up on the other side, have a better day!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 pm 
Cornerstone

News from recruiting weekends usually doesn’t come out until the visitors get home. Commitments are going to start dribbling out soon. Well, probably.

Last edited by long green on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 pm 
President's Circle

I think this is very much by design. We had about 8-10 visitors a week ago and another 12-15 this past weekend. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are nearing 15-20 commits. If we have been burned a couple of times by players announcing early, then this is the way to go. It will all come out in the open within the next week. I think we are going to have an excellent class and as TU23 said, this has happened in the past, but on a much smaller scale.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
... this has happened in the past...
We've only had one year since they created the early signing option, and I don't know that one year is enough to form an opinion. But it certainly is the hope, as last year it worked out well. Last year we had a bunch of guys commit early, and the class did not look very promising, but then quite a few decommitted and a bunch of good pickups occurred at the last minute. A few of the decommits were good players who earned P5 offers during their senior years and decided that was a better path, but most of them were, or at least appeared to be, "mutual parting of ways", or, frankly, "we've found someone better than you and are pulling your offer" (just being honest, this is a cutthroat biz).

This year started off the same way and things look to potentially be swinging the same way at the end as well, let's hope that is indeed the case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

You all or ya all? I go with the former.
Wavery, go back to bed, get up on the other side, have a better day!

Youse guys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm 
President's Circle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
... this has happened in the past...
We've only had one year since they created the early signing option, and I don't know that one year is enough to form an opinion. But it certainly is the hope, as last year it worked out well. Last year we had a bunch of guys commit early, and the class did not look very promising, but then quite a few decommitted and a bunch of good pickups occurred at the last minute. A few of the decommits were good players who earned P5 offers during their senior years and decided that was a better path, but most of them were, or at least appeared to be, "mutual parting of ways", or, frankly, "we've found someone better than you and are pulling your offer" (just being honest, this is a cutthroat biz).

This year started off the same way and things look to potentially be swinging the same way at the end as well, let's hope that is indeed the case.

The lackluster early commits that were jettisoned was two years ago. Last year's class was clearly a step up from the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 pm 
Cornerstone

I was going to post that myself. Quite so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm 
Regent's Circle

Maybe it has changed things, but it may be the same all over. I know that Wisconsin likes to puff their chest out over every little thing, but they sure keep 'traps shut' when it comes to the game of recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 pm 
Coach Level

We are also dealing with Bowl prep this year. That’s not normal for us! lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 am 
President's Circle

On a positive note...
Our tops rated recruits (4 of top 5 per 247) have all come this month. so we are on a definite upswing. We needed it. we are still rated in the 90's nationally and 9th in the AAC. Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.
And that despite having a lot of academic restrictions to fight through when recruiting over there... oh, wait... nevermind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:

How could it not? While grammar (like expression) is inherently social, arbitrary, and fluid, all expresion has a code/grammar.

To quote my roommate from VMI: The best way to tell a yankee is if they try to write ya'll :coolshades:

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
And that despite having a lot of academic restrictions to fight through when recruiting over there... oh, wait... nevermind.

Pete, the state of Louisiana is very deep this year and USL is having a great year in the state. I would expect the same for La Tech when recruiting concludes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:53 pm 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
On a positive note...
Our tops rated recruits (4 of top 5 per 247) have all come this month. so we are on a definite upswing. We needed it. we are still rated in the 90's nationally and 9th in the AAC. Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.

As LG noted a few days ago, we had four players make all AAC second team defense and every one of them was a two star recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:54 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wavery -

Hope you noticed the uptick in commitments.

All I can say, is that there are plenty of people visiting. This particular coach, and his fellow coaches, and staff, view recruiting as a "close to the vest" situation.

Unlike previous administrations, where someone would "accidentally leak" the information on visits, this group does not do that.

I am 100% behind that. I understand the natural curiosity of fans, but what some fans might not realize, is that some of these visits are best kept quiet. When he is ready, a recruit can announce his visit, and his commitment.

#RollWave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Pete, the state of Louisiana is very deep this year and USL is having a great year in the state. I would expect the same for La Tech when recruiting concludes.

That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making.

Unless you want to opine on the quality of this years' recruits academically.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm 
President's Circle

Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.