Status of recruiting/Lack of news

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Status of recruiting/Lack of news

Unread post by Wavery »

Do ya'll think the silence about recruiting is by design or is it a sign of no good news to report?

This early recruiting stuff has really changed things.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Status of recruiting/Lack of news

Unread post by gerryb323 »

*y'all
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Only on a Tulane Forum...
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Wavery wrote:Only on a Tulane Forum...
So tell me, how fast do you think the sky is falling?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

I don't think the sky is falling at all. My question had/has no agenda. I was asking an honest question because I have no idea about recruiting and how it's being played these days with the early recruiting period.

Then I get my spelling corrected then a sarcastic/passive aggressive comment. Guess it's time for me to take a break from here.

Losing is enough to make it difficult to be a Tulane fan, then one has to deal with self-righteous pretentious a$$e$.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

There is a pretty tight lid on information this year. There have been several official visits in the past two weeks, many more than have been reported in the media and on twitter including some pretty high profile guys. As far as commitments are concerned, I think its fair to say that Keshon Williams committed this weekend based on the change in his twitter profile to "Tulane commit." There are a handful of players who played in State Championship games this weekend on campus right now on officials that started yesterday.

Remember this as well, Fritz has asked that certain players not announce their commitments in the past for fear of poaching. For instance, Marvin Moody and Cam Sample are two who were definitely encouraged not to say anything until their names were on the dotted line.
This one belongs to the Wave.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I didn’t know y’all/ya’ll had a proper spellin’. 8)

Some folks here would not have lasted 24 hours in the military. :coolshades:

Like ADM Rickover used to say, if I can make you squeal in 20 minutes, what’s going to happen when you are up to your donkey butt in alligators?

OTOH, it’s good natured give and take that passes the time. Out and out bullying will get you a blanket party.
Last edited by TUPF on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:I didn’t know y’all/ya’ll had a proper spellin’. 8)

You all or ya all? I go with the former.
Wavery, go back to bed, get up on the other side, have a better day!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

News from recruiting weekends usually doesn’t come out until the visitors get home. Commitments are going to start dribbling out soon. Well, probably.
Last edited by long green on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I think this is very much by design. We had about 8-10 visitors a week ago and another 12-15 this past weekend. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are nearing 15-20 commits. If we have been burned a couple of times by players announcing early, then this is the way to go. It will all come out in the open within the next week. I think we are going to have an excellent class and as TU23 said, this has happened in the past, but on a much smaller scale.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:... this has happened in the past...
We've only had one year since they created the early signing option, and I don't know that one year is enough to form an opinion. But it certainly is the hope, as last year it worked out well. Last year we had a bunch of guys commit early, and the class did not look very promising, but then quite a few decommitted and a bunch of good pickups occurred at the last minute. A few of the decommits were good players who earned P5 offers during their senior years and decided that was a better path, but most of them were, or at least appeared to be, "mutual parting of ways", or, frankly, "we've found someone better than you and are pulling your offer" (just being honest, this is a cutthroat biz).

This year started off the same way and things look to potentially be swinging the same way at the end as well, let's hope that is indeed the case.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:

You all or ya all? I go with the former.
Wavery, go back to bed, get up on the other side, have a better day!
Youse guys
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:... this has happened in the past...
We've only had one year since they created the early signing option, and I don't know that one year is enough to form an opinion. But it certainly is the hope, as last year it worked out well. Last year we had a bunch of guys commit early, and the class did not look very promising, but then quite a few decommitted and a bunch of good pickups occurred at the last minute. A few of the decommits were good players who earned P5 offers during their senior years and decided that was a better path, but most of them were, or at least appeared to be, "mutual parting of ways", or, frankly, "we've found someone better than you and are pulling your offer" (just being honest, this is a cutthroat biz).

This year started off the same way and things look to potentially be swinging the same way at the end as well, let's hope that is indeed the case.
The lackluster early commits that were jettisoned was two years ago. Last year's class was clearly a step up from the beginning.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I was going to post that myself. Quite so.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Maybe it has changed things, but it may be the same all over. I know that Wisconsin likes to puff their chest out over every little thing, but they sure keep 'traps shut' when it comes to the game of recruiting.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

We are also dealing with Bowl prep this year. That’s not normal for us! lol
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

On a positive note...
Our tops rated recruits (4 of top 5 per 247) have all come this month. so we are on a definite upswing. We needed it. we are still rated in the 90's nationally and 9th in the AAC. Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote:Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.
And that despite having a lot of academic restrictions to fight through when recruiting over there... oh, wait... nevermind.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

How could it not? While grammar (like expression) is inherently social, arbitrary, and fluid, all expresion has a code/grammar.

To quote my roommate from VMI: The best way to tell a yankee is if they try to write ya'll :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote:
And that despite having a lot of academic restrictions to fight through when recruiting over there... oh, wait... nevermind.
Pete, the state of Louisiana is very deep this year and USL is having a great year in the state. I would expect the same for La Tech when recruiting concludes.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Poseidon wrote:On a positive note...
Our tops rated recruits (4 of top 5 per 247) have all come this month. so we are on a definite upswing. We needed it. we are still rated in the 90's nationally and 9th in the AAC. Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.
As LG noted a few days ago, we had four players make all AAC second team defense and every one of them was a two star recruit.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Wavery -

Hope you noticed the uptick in commitments.

All I can say, is that there are plenty of people visiting. This particular coach, and his fellow coaches, and staff, view recruiting as a "close to the vest" situation.

Unlike previous administrations, where someone would "accidentally leak" the information on visits, this group does not do that.

I am 100% behind that. I understand the natural curiosity of fans, but what some fans might not realize, is that some of these visits are best kept quiet. When he is ready, a recruit can announce his visit, and his commitment.

#RollWave
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Pete, the state of Louisiana is very deep this year and USL is having a great year in the state. I would expect the same for La Tech when recruiting concludes.
That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making.

Unless you want to opine on the quality of this years' recruits academically.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.