Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4974
Location: Wichita
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Baton Rouge
PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Interestingly ULL's is ranked 59 and 1st in the SBC.
And that despite having a lot of academic restrictions to fight through when recruiting over there... oh, wait... nevermind.


Pete, the state of Louisiana is very deep this year and USL is having a great year in the state. I would expect the same for La Tech when recruiting concludes.

That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making.

Unless you want to opine on the quality of this years' recruits academically.


So it's easy to recruit to ULL? there are literally 100+ other schools that don't have the supposed academic restrictions we do. Most of them not in the Sun Belt. ULL is on an uptick. This isn't the same program we faced in 2013 just as we aren't the same program. As reference ULL recruiting rankings is the past have been: 2018-105; 2017-117; 2016-106. As much as some people try to dismiss ULL. At this point in our program Tulane is competing with ULL for recruits, not LSU. Regardless of what we fancy ourselves to be. Would you not be pleased with the 59th ranked recruiting class?

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:33 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4974
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4974
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.

I don't think there's a question whether there are players we would take who don't meet our academic standards. I don't think that makes us pretentious any more than another school with similarly or more rigorous academic requirements. Whether they instead go to ULL is probably more of a question.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.

I don't think there's a question whether there are players we would take who don't meet our academic standards. I don't think that makes us pretentious any more than another school with similarly or more rigorous academic requirements. Whether they instead go to ULL is probably more of a question.


As I stated earlier. ULL has been in the 100's as far as recruiting classes go in recent years. Now they are 59 and the first response is "well they take minimum qualifiers." That is just weak. tjtlja's comment is better.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18777
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.
I don’t think it’s that simple, Poseidon. College football in general is right on the precipice. In a lot of schools they don’t even pretend anymore that “student”-athlete is anything but window dressing. Every school, and I mean every school, has a different academic admission standard for athletes. It’s a different academic threshold for a Navy plebe who plays varsity football than it is for your everyday plebe. That’s a fact. I know this because I went through that admissions process—only once in my Navy career did I know a nuclear submariner who came to Annapolis to play football. An athlete at Harvard most likely would not have edged out yet another 5.0 perfect SAT applicant without the ability to provide the 40 year class reunion something to cheer about at Harvard-Yale. So, every school needs to balance admitting someone whose talents are not specifically in the classroom but who brings other talents to the student body. Yet, unless they have gone completely to the Dark Side and have no intent but to warehouse the athlete and lie and cheat to keep them eligible, there has to be at least minimal assurance that the athlete you bring on campus can stay above water academically.

Therein lies the rub. Do the schools who supposedly have higher academic admit standards for the general population at least have some standards for their athletes? If it’s minimum NCAA only (which are laughably low, BTW) how do you legally “coach ‘em up” in the classroom while expecting them to perform in the full time job known as NCAA athletics? ULL, or whatever the hell they call themselves, have a non problem compared to what Tulane has and if that comes off as snobbery, so be it. Unless and until the entire NCAA moneymaker sports stop the charade and just admit they are the farm system for pro sports, every school has to balance its general mission with wanting a winner on the field.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:05 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3001
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.


Poseidon, you make some good points. You try to interact, create conversation, and are told by Gerry you cannot read or comprehend what is being said. If we cannot beat out the Cajuns or La Tech or ULM for an in state player, it must be academics. Just like the sideways remarks about New Orleans schools several weeks ago. It is terrible the way some people will treat you just because. Our perception as a University in New Orleans, LA is so important. I just wish the many who enjoy this board were able to come here and express an opinion without being humiliated. I know quite a bit about our athletic department and I know they fight this perception battle daily from recruiting to marketing. Is it really “perception” when someone tells you that you cannot read?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 275
Location: River Ridge
I wouldn't get too hung up on the national ranks just yet. Especially comparing ULL(21 commits) to Tulane (12). We'll both probably end up in the same range by signing day when we fill out our class. Maybe a bowl win pushes us over them in the end? One can hope so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 954
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not



We can and we do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 am 
Online
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3481
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
I just wish we could have one thread that didn't evolve into talking about U-La-La

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 1504
Ok cut out the Ulala stuff...... does anyone have or can speculate on what recruit(s) will be next in line to commit to Tulane. What QBs or still on the list along with RBs, OLs, WRs, DLs, LBers and DBs. I feel Tulane has taken the allotment of TEs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3001
Krewe, this isn’t really a ULL post, it is a post about Tulane athletic recruiting. This hammering of Louisiana academics is not right. Has anyone looked at the master list in detail. Look at the schools we are beating out for most of our recruits. They are primarily teams from the Sunbelt and CUSA with a sprinkle from other conferences. They are from all over the south and most of these institutions would not be considered elite academic schools. As I have mentioned, this is considered to be a deep and very good class in LA this year. Everyone in the State should do well. Yet, we will probably get the majority of our kids out of state. Why? Reputation, relationships, perception, or academics as some would suggest. When I look at who we are recruiting against and where we are recruiting, it tells me this is not about academics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4974
Location: Wichita
tjtlja wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Sorry for misinterpreted your post. Nevertheless, the state of LA is very deep this year and most will qualify academically in accordance with NCAA guidelines. I think that convers your point.

He's saying they can and do take minimum qualifiers while we cannot or do not


Sure that's the only reason ULL could ever do anything better than Tulane.

I'm not making any argument, just clarifying since some seem to not read too good


It appears that it is subtly implied that the players they have committed are minimum qualifiers and we would have scooped them up if not for our better standards. Then we wonder why ULL fans think Tulane fans are pretentious snobs.


Poseidon, you make some good points. You try to interact, create conversation, and are told by Gerry you cannot read or comprehend what is being said. If we cannot beat out the Cajuns or La Tech or ULM for an in state player, it must be academics. Just like the sideways remarks about New Orleans schools several weeks ago. It is terrible the way some people will treat you just because. Our perception as a University in New Orleans, LA is so important. I just wish the many who enjoy this board were able to come here and express an opinion without being humiliated. I know quite a bit about our athletic department and I know they fight this perception battle daily from recruiting to marketing. Is it really “perception” when someone tells you that you cannot read?

HE told you that wasn't what he was saying. I'm just here to help

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 am 
Online
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3481
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
tjtlja wrote:
Krewe, this isn’t really a ULL post, it is a post about Tulane athletic recruiting. This hammering of Louisiana academics is not right. Has anyone looked at the master list in detail. Look at the schools we are beating out for most of our recruits. They are primarily teams from the Sunbelt and CUSA with a sprinkle from other conferences. They are from all over the south and most of these institutions would not be considered elite academic schools. As I have mentioned, this is considered to be a deep and very good class in LA this year. Everyone in the State should do well. Yet, we will probably get the majority of our kids out of state. Why? Reputation, relationships, perception, or academics as some would suggest. When I look at who we are recruiting against and where we are recruiting, it tells me this is not about academics.

where did I say this was a ULL post? I said I wish we could have a thread that didn't evolve into talking about ULL which is what every fr!cking thread the past few days has turned into.

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20969
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
Krewe, this isn’t really a ULL post, it is a post about Tulane athletic recruiting. This hammering of Louisiana academics is not right. Has anyone looked at the master list in detail. Look at the schools we are beating out for most of our recruits. They are primarily teams from the Sunbelt and CUSA with a sprinkle from other conferences. They are from all over the south and most of these institutions would not be considered elite academic schools. As I have mentioned, this is considered to be a deep and very good class in LA this year. Everyone in the State should do well. Yet, we will probably get the majority of our kids out of state. Why? Reputation, relationships, perception, or academics as some would suggest. When I look at who we are recruiting against and where we are recruiting, it tells me this is not about academics.


The walk on kicker is from an elite an academic school

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 275
Location: River Ridge
Billow wrote:
Ok cut out the Ulala stuff...... does anyone have or can speculate on what recruit(s) will be next in line to commit to Tulane. What QBs or still on the list along with RBs, OLs, WRs, DLs, LBers and DBs. I feel Tulane has taken the allotment of TEs.

QB is the one position I'm most worried about. I haven't seen much about potential QB signees. We seem to be ok for next year, but we need to sign at least 1, probably 2, this year.

We're light on commitments at other positions, but I don't think that will carry through signing day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Baton Rouge
Saintgreenie wrote:
Billow wrote:
Ok cut out the Ulala stuff...... does anyone have or can speculate on what recruit(s) will be next in line to commit to Tulane. What QBs or still on the list along with RBs, OLs, WRs, DLs, LBers and DBs. I feel Tulane has taken the allotment of TEs.

QB is the one position I'm most worried about. I haven't seen much about potential QB signees. We seem to be ok for next year, but we need to sign at least 1, probably 2, this year.

We're light on commitments at other positions, but I don't think that will carry through signing day.


I think we need 1. Get two if you can get 2 quality ones. No need to reach on a second. Next year we would have 5 on scholorship with the addition of just 1. I'm not so sure Ledford goes back to WR next year with all the WR's we have coming in.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3001
From a QB perspective, I think we are in the battle for Legendre. Also, per 247, we have a shot at Jakson Thomson. I also think we are looking at some kids very hard in the Houston area. I feel confident we will get a good one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 pm 
Online
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3481
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Fear the Wave tweeted that they've heard there's another commitment out there that hasn't been announced yet

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3001
Some notes:

Nate Clifton received an offer from Vandy and will be visiting there this weekend.

Zane Heemsoth entertained one Buddy Teevens last night.

Tyrone Lewis Jr. had a great visit. Would be a huge get. Iowa State has offered.

Kevin Hester Jr. also had a great visit.


Last edited by tjtlja on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2691
I don't know if this is what Fear the Wave was talking about, but Christian Montano, an OL from Brown University will transfer to Tulane as a grad transfer. Montano would have been a 4 year starter had he not gotten hurt early this season. He took advantage of the new transfer rule to sit out and transfer to a D1. He was All-Ivy league in 2017. He has 1 year left and can play all positions on the line but has significant experience at center and guard.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20969
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
Some notes:

Tyrone Lewis Jr. had a great visit. Would be a huge get. Iowa State has offered.


Has he been to Ames?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm
Posts: 281
Another coming today :green wink:

_________________
- Twitter: @fearthewaveblog
- Fear the WaveCast Streaming
- The Perfect Wave: Audio Documentary on 1998


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group