Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3825
Country Day is having a great year in football. They have a very raw 6-5 QB by the name of Justin Ibieta. I heard Houston and Tulane are interested. Didn’t we have a baseball player with that same last name? If so, is this his son?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6589
Location: Wichita
https://tulanegreenwave.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4598
Google is your friend

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3825
Thanks Gerry. Have you seen him play?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6589
Location: Wichita
tjtlja wrote:
Thanks Gerry. Have you seen him play?

Just watched some of his football videos. Most are from last year. He's still only a junior. As I posted above, his sister is on our volleyball team. Dad is Juan, who pitched for us in early 90s. Mom played volleyball at LSU. He also appears to be a decent basketball and baseball player (for his level anyway). 24/7 shows Houston, LSU, and us as interested, but then they show Cuiellette, Brantley, Bradwell and someone named Godfrey as QBs on our roster (and no Banks).

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2815
This is a tough one to gauge because Country Day plays at such a low level. He's bigger than pretty much every o-lineman on his team. Below average runner/athlete for a D1 recruit (7.8 60 yd dash in baseball...that is big catcher slow). He'd have to blow me away on tape and at camp to justify an offer...and he doesn't do that on tape. He's got something to work with size wise, though. You don't see him let it fly much because of his receivers, but if he has the RPMs, there could be something there... especially for a team that wants to spread it out and throw a ton. However, I'd not that his baseball pitching velocity is in the 80-83 range...which is not indicative of a kid with a real strong arm right now. In a year, that could be much different with more weight/strength training, which I doubt he'd get at CD.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6589
Location: Wichita
TU23 wrote:
This is a tough one to gauge because Country Day plays at such a low level. He's bigger than pretty much every o-lineman on his team. Below average runner/athlete for a D1 recruit (7.8 60 yd dash in baseball...that is big catcher slow). He'd have to blow me away on tape and at camp to justify an offer...and he doesn't do that on tape. He's got something to work with size wise, though. You don't see him let it fly much because of his receivers, but if he has the RPMs, there could be something there... especially for a team that wants to spread it out and throw a ton. However, I'd not that his baseball pitching velocity is in the 80-83 range...which is not indicative of a kid with a real strong arm right now. In a year, that could be much different with more weight/strength training, which I doubt he'd get at CD.

Yeah, that level is tough to judge. Don't/didn't we have a couple local walk on QBs from similar schools? Preferred walk on maybe.

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2815
Definite preferred walk-on. Probably more of a baseball player, though. He'd be able to get up to 88-90 mph with some real weight training, but I doubt he'll ever develop the kind of speed/athleticism to play QB at the D1 level.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6988
Small school would play a 6'5" student on every team including the girl's VB team with a ponytail wig if they could get away with it. Even if he is slow, I'm sure he is athletic or he wouldn't be an all sports player. I'd guess the family bleeds green right now with sis playing VB.

Considering his school, he looks like a prototypical Div 3/Ivy League player if above projections are correct. We'll see what happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:38 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10787
Jack Mashburn of St. Paul's also looks like a good preferred walk-on candidate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2815
ml wave wrote:
Jack Mashburn of St. Paul's also looks like a good preferred walk-on candidate.


Definitely....and he could also play LB if he gets a little bit bigger.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16281
Ibieta Metro Area Player of Week 13

https://www.nola.com/sports/2018/11/country-days-justin-ibieta-is-named-metro-area-player-of-week-13-nov-23-24.html

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3825
That is some sort of performance. I noticed a Mmahat won player of the week from Brother Martin. I presume that is another former Greenie’s son.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 1645
OGSB wrote:


From a very good source. LSU has been recruiting him for a while now. We finally started recruiting him as of last week.

_________________
Here we come!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7981
Location: Dripping Springs
wavedom wrote:
OGSB wrote:


From a very good source. LSU has been recruiting him for a while now. We finally started recruiting him as of last week.
Like lsu has so much luck with their locally recruited QB's...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:49 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm
Posts: 2946
Location: metairie, La
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:18 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 22663
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Wavemania wrote:
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU

You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:35 am
Posts: 10928
Location: The Big EZ
Pretty sure he's going to be recruited for D1, it's just a question of how high his offers get. He's an drop back QB, not much of a threat to run. If you want to watch him, the video of the playoff game on Friday they lost 57-54 is up on the Crescent City website.

By the way he and his family were at a few of our baseball games last year. Pretty sure they were there for another Country Day athlete, Grant Matthews who hit like .400 for us down the stretch last year and finished at in the mid .300s and should be in the middle of our lineup this year.

_________________
The Tulane University of Louisiana


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:40 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm
Posts: 2946
Location: metairie, La
PeteRasche wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU

You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?

Tulane winning and playing high caliber teams.
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:09 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 3022
Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU

You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?

Tulane winning and playing high caliber teams.
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.


The last staff only tried for local recruits, how’d that workout?
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people care where the players come from


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19741
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU

You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?

Tulane winning and playing high caliber teams.
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.


The last staff only tried for local recruits, how’d that workout?
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people care where the players come from
So they can extend their local high school love another four years? :-D

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6988
VM, Local players and students for that matter strengthen local ties between Tulane and New Orleans. When it works, good for all. In an analogous situation, Hardaway seems to be digging a recruiting moat around Memphis. We'll see if it works for UM MBB in a couple of years.

But as you note, get the winning players where you can. If locals don't want to come, so be it.

However I am a man of sentiment and to me and some others, it would be fun if the local son and sister of Tulane athletes were able to continue the tradition with the Wave. I'm rooting for Ibieta to earn and merit it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22039
Location: North Kenner
visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU

You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?

Tulane winning and playing high caliber teams.
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.


The last staff only tried for local recruits, how’d that workout?
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people care where the players come from

I agree. I don’t care if they come from Mars if they can play. I think the notion of needing local kids is that it creates more local fans that want to come watch the players. Know what people like watching more? Winners.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:49 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6988
https://www.nola.com/expo/sports/g66l-2 ... otbal.html

Ibieta is NOLA's Metro Area Small School POY. Congrats. He is also listed as only 215 pounds which means on a 6-5 listed height, he is presumably muscular and lean. Sort of like McMillan's build.


Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations. Regardless of whether he is a potential Fritz recruit or not, I'm always happy when greenish folks enjoy success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 22663
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Baywave1 wrote:
Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations.

I hope he doesn't have the poor adult guidance (actually, being a peer of his dad at Tulane, I know he doesn't) and make the ridiculously poor decisions in his life that cause him to merit 20 pages.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible QB Recruit?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:58 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6589
Location: Wichita
PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations.

I hope he doesn't have the poor adult guidance (actually, being a peer of his dad at Tulane, I know he doesn't) and make the ridiculously poor decisions in his life that cause him to merit 20 pages.

The amazing thing about the Lindsey Scott thread is that it isn't even the original thread. It's from when he decided to transfer a year and a half ago

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group