Possible QB Recruit?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Possible QB Recruit?

Post by tjtlja »

Country Day is having a great year in football. They have a very raw 6-5 QB by the name of Justin Ibieta. I heard Houston and Tulane are interested. Didn’t we have a baseball player with that same last name? If so, is this his son?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Possible QB Recruit?

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Thanks Gerry. Have you seen him play?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:Thanks Gerry. Have you seen him play?
Just watched some of his football videos. Most are from last year. He's still only a junior. As I posted above, his sister is on our volleyball team. Dad is Juan, who pitched for us in early 90s. Mom played volleyball at LSU. He also appears to be a decent basketball and baseball player (for his level anyway). 24/7 shows Houston, LSU, and us as interested, but then they show Cuiellette, Brantley, Bradwell and someone named Godfrey as QBs on our roster (and no Banks).
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

This is a tough one to gauge because Country Day plays at such a low level. He's bigger than pretty much every o-lineman on his team. Below average runner/athlete for a D1 recruit (7.8 60 yd dash in baseball...that is big catcher slow). He'd have to blow me away on tape and at camp to justify an offer...and he doesn't do that on tape. He's got something to work with size wise, though. You don't see him let it fly much because of his receivers, but if he has the RPMs, there could be something there... especially for a team that wants to spread it out and throw a ton. However, I'd not that his baseball pitching velocity is in the 80-83 range...which is not indicative of a kid with a real strong arm right now. In a year, that could be much different with more weight/strength training, which I doubt he'd get at CD.
This one belongs to the Wave.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TU23 wrote:This is a tough one to gauge because Country Day plays at such a low level. He's bigger than pretty much every o-lineman on his team. Below average runner/athlete for a D1 recruit (7.8 60 yd dash in baseball...that is big catcher slow). He'd have to blow me away on tape and at camp to justify an offer...and he doesn't do that on tape. He's got something to work with size wise, though. You don't see him let it fly much because of his receivers, but if he has the RPMs, there could be something there... especially for a team that wants to spread it out and throw a ton. However, I'd not that his baseball pitching velocity is in the 80-83 range...which is not indicative of a kid with a real strong arm right now. In a year, that could be much different with more weight/strength training, which I doubt he'd get at CD.
Yeah, that level is tough to judge. Don't/didn't we have a couple local walk on QBs from similar schools? Preferred walk on maybe.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Definite preferred walk-on. Probably more of a baseball player, though. He'd be able to get up to 88-90 mph with some real weight training, but I doubt he'll ever develop the kind of speed/athleticism to play QB at the D1 level.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Small school would play a 6'5" student on every team including the girl's VB team with a ponytail wig if they could get away with it. Even if he is slow, I'm sure he is athletic or he wouldn't be an all sports player. I'd guess the family bleeds green right now with sis playing VB.

Considering his school, he looks like a prototypical Div 3/Ivy League player if above projections are correct. We'll see what happens.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Jack Mashburn of St. Paul's also looks like a good preferred walk-on candidate.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

ml wave wrote:Jack Mashburn of St. Paul's also looks like a good preferred walk-on candidate.
Definitely....and he could also play LB if he gets a little bit bigger.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Ibieta Metro Area Player of Week 13

https://www.nola.com/sports/2018/11/cou ... 23-24.html
Victory is never permanent
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

That is some sort of performance. I noticed a Mmahat won player of the week from Brother Martin. I presume that is another former Greenie’s son.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

OGSB wrote:Ibieta Metro Area Player of Week 13

From a very good source. LSU has been recruiting him for a while now. We finally started recruiting him as of last week.
We deserve so much better
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

wavedom wrote:
OGSB wrote:Ibieta Metro Area Player of Week 13

From a very good source. LSU has been recruiting him for a while now. We finally started recruiting him as of last week.
Like lsu has so much luck with their locally recruited QB's...
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wavemania wrote:Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU
You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by Big EZ Wave »

Pretty sure he's going to be recruited for D1, it's just a question of how high his offers get. He's an drop back QB, not much of a threat to run. If you want to watch him, the video of the playoff game on Friday they lost 57-54 is up on the Crescent City website.

By the way he and his family were at a few of our baseball games last year. Pretty sure they were there for another Country Day athlete, Grant Matthews who hit like .400 for us down the stretch last year and finished at in the mid .300s and should be in the middle of our lineup this year.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wavemania wrote:Just shows how bad Tulane recruiting is locally.Just starting to possibly recruit him- pitiful. Man, I hope he doesn't end up at LSU
You really are a miserable soul, aren't you? Does anything about Tulane make you happy?
Tulane winning and playing high caliber teams.
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Its amazing how little this staff is trying to get local recruits. Its like they bought into the Scelfo philosophy.
The last staff only tried for local recruits, how’d that workout?
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people care where the players come from
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
For the life of me, I don’t understand why people care where the players come from
So they can extend their local high school love another four years? :-D
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

VM, Local players and students for that matter strengthen local ties between Tulane and New Orleans. When it works, good for all. In an analogous situation, Hardaway seems to be digging a recruiting moat around Memphis. We'll see if it works for UM MBB in a couple of years.

But as you note, get the winning players where you can. If locals don't want to come, so be it.

However I am a man of sentiment and to me and some others, it would be fun if the local son and sister of Tulane athletes were able to continue the tradition with the Wave. I'm rooting for Ibieta to earn and merit it.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I agree. I don’t care if they come from Mars if they can play. I think the notion of needing local kids is that it creates more local fans that want to come watch the players. Know what people like watching more? Winners.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

https://www.nola.com/expo/sports/g66l-2 ... otbal.html

Ibieta is NOLA's Metro Area Small School POY. Congrats. He is also listed as only 215 pounds which means on a 6-5 listed height, he is presumably muscular and lean. Sort of like McMillan's build.

Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations. Regardless of whether he is a potential Fritz recruit or not, I'm always happy when greenish folks enjoy success.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations.
I hope he doesn't have the poor adult guidance (actually, being a peer of his dad at Tulane, I know he doesn't) and make the ridiculously poor decisions in his life that cause him to merit 20 pages.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Since he is only a junior we have a year or so before early signing date next season to see if we can hit 20 pages for a quarterback with very green relations.
I hope he doesn't have the poor adult guidance (actually, being a peer of his dad at Tulane, I know he doesn't) and make the ridiculously poor decisions in his life that cause him to merit 20 pages.
The amazing thing about the Lindsey Scott thread is that it isn't even the original thread. It's from when he decided to transfer a year and a half ago