Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

G-wave wrote:
Wanted to do it front of players and classmates and pick his school from a bunch of hats. But remember signing is still a month away and things can change.

I especially like those signing parties when the player is signing with Delgado or Eastern MS CC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:52 am 
Coach Level

G-wave wrote:
Hodges did not sign he said he wanted to sign with teammates in the late period. Every site has him as a hard commit.

Well then Rivals has it wrong. They show on their site that Hodges signed with Tulane, just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 am 
President's Circle

djh, our press release does not mention him. It would be a violation to report someone who has not signed. Until Tulane realease it, I will consider Hodges as unsigned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:48 am 
Coach Level

I do not believe it is a violation to fail to report someone who is signed. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:52 am 
Navigator Level

CT Wave wrote:
Maybe he did sign to reserve his spot in our class, but requested it not be announced until February for the reasons stated here.

Correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 pm 
President's Circle

True, but that would be a first!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:18 pm 
Navigator Level

It's what happened. So we have a first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
It's what happened. So we have a first.

Actually, how we would know it is a "first"? Last year inaugurated the early signing period and it could have happened then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am 
Navigator Level

Names please. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

I'm not saying it's definitive independent verification of this but if he doesn't take any other visits official or unofficial and he's not mentioned in updated recruiting posts by "reliable" sources for other schools then odd as this is, we should take it at face value.

Perhaps it's as simple as his school said we do one ceremony for all folks signing and obviously decided to wait until it will be officially over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:29 pm 
Coach Level

wavedom wrote:
Names please. :-D

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of this happening before. Just saying if it did happen last year how would we know?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm 
Riptide Level

Well, let's assume that Hodges is either in or will sign. That would leave us with four spots available. It seems to me that we need another OL who can play next year (unless one of the men on the roster can take over the other vacant OG spot) and a QB. The other two spots should go for the best players available. If that's Scott and Lewis, then that's our four.

As for QB, if we don't get Matocha, then we need to come up with the next best available HS senior who fits our offense (whatever that will be next year). One of my friends saw Matocha play both as a sophomore and as a senior. He said that, as a sophomore, Matocha was a really good running QB, but his passing was mediocre. He saw him this year in the TAPPS state championship game (which St. Thomas lost). He said that Matocha's passing had improved significantly. He was still an outstanding runner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm 
President's Circle

With McMillan and the S Miss QB transfer, Tulane can let it slide on getting a QB if there isn’t a decent one left. I’m hoping they are looking at the Curtis QB , Guggenheim, that will be a Sr this coming year. Can run and pass and comes from a winning HS program

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wavemania wrote:
With McMillan and the S Miss QB transfer, Tulane can let it slide on getting a QB if there isn’t a decent one left. I’m hoping they are looking at the Curtis QB , Guggenheim, that will be a Sr this coming year. Can run and pass and comes from a winning HS program

Funny, you spelled "Chandler Fields" wrong and he's a senior this year

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 pm 
Coach Level

I think we need to reserve a couple of spots (if that is necessary) for grad transfers...instant starters in key places. While thinking about it, I decided that Tulane ought to come up with a graduate school program that a transfer could take that would be useful...like sports management, or athletics administration or something like that. We could even have part of it on-line so they could take it "asynchronous" so as not to interfere with practice and games and they could take it at their own pace. They would end up with a Tulane degree and have something useful to do. Maybe we do that already, but that is my latest brilliant idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

Considering how bad this coach has recruited QBs, Fields couldn't do any worse than what was on this roster before McMillan came aboard. In fact, had he gotten Chase Fourcade, this would have been Tulane's 3rd winning season in a row with him starting. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wavemania wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

Considering how bad this coach has recruited QBs, Fields couldn't do any worse than what was on this roster before McMillan came aboard. In fact, had he gotten Chase Fourcade, this would have been Tulane's 3rd winning season in a row with him starting. :mrgreen:

You gotta be doody me. The fourcade thing has been put to bed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:

QB should be (have been?) our biggest recruiting priority, failing to sign (what looks to be) a decent one would not be good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:07 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

You gotta be doody me. The fourcade thing has been put to bed

So has Fields, who signed with ULL. But you’re the one who keeps bringing it up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

Go crawl back under your rock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:37 pm 
President's Circle

who asked your opinion, numbnuts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 pm 
President's Circle

Wavemania wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:

I did

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 pm 
President's Circle

Been away a while for Christmas, but I have some info. Peyton Matocha is scheduled to visit on the first weekend. Unless his grades came up a lot, I think the Lance LeGendre ship has sailed. If what I'm hearing is correct (and I believe it is), he's in danger of not qualifying.

I would be really surprised if Tyrone Lewis end up at Tulane since he didn't sign in the early period. I have no idea what happened to Tyler Scott. He's radio silent.

We're looking at a ton of DE's and put out a couple of new offers today.

I think we want:

1 QB
1 DL
1 Playmaker (WR/RB)
1 Grad Transfer...possible o-line, possible LB/DE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

Getting Lance would have been BIG for us. Thanks for the update TU23 I've had a hard time getting a handle on this class