Weekend visitors, 1/25

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
long green
Cornerstone

Weekend visitors, 1/25

Unread post by long green »

Jack Mashburn, the QB from St Paul's in Covington, says he is coming in for an official visit this weekend. When and if I hear of other possible visitors I'll put it here.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Weekend visitors, 1/25

Unread post by sr »

long green wrote:Jack Mashburn, the QB from St Paul's in Covington, says he is coming in for an official visit this weekend. When and if I hear of other possible visitors I'll put it here.
Hudl -

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9029313/Jack-Mashburn
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Mashburn also played some WR in 2017. Anyone can share any information on him? Speicifically his stats for 2018. Looks like he has a good arm on film. How accurate is he? He certainly moves pretty well. Could not find him on 247.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

tjtlja wrote:Mashburn also played some WR in 2017. Anyone can share any information on him? Speicifically his stats for 2018. Looks like he has a good arm on film. How accurate is he? He certainly moves pretty well. Could not find him on 247.
17 rushing TD's.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

After looking at his Hudl tape, I have two guesses. First guess is that Mashburn is the type of QB that Hall wants, a mobile passer, and he was on Hall's radar. Second guess, Matocha is gone.

I know these tapes are suspect in that they can make anybody look good, but this kid looks really good to me as a QB--especially for Tulane. Reminds me of a very physical Roch Hontas. Maybe someone can illuminate us out-of-towners with the quality of competition he faced.
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

We have been recruiting him for a while, well before Hall. Don't think we've offered him though, unless it happened recently. Some circumstances at St. Paul's which led to him not really showing up on the radar screen plus he didn't really hit the summer camp circuit.
long green
Cornerstone

St. Paul’s is a 5A school that plays in a good solid district (not elite, solid). His final regular season stats are:

136 completions in 243 attempts for 1,611yards with 6td’s and 3 ints while rushing for 718 yards and 16 td’s on 129 carries. He missed some time late with an injury. He threw for over 600 yards and had just under 300 yards receiving as a junior. He took over at QB from a guy who I thought might be prospect earlier in his career but didn’t progress from there.

He visited here for the Nicholls game in September. Aside from district competition he is shown playing against Jesuit, Curtis, and Edna Karr.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Matocha is going to be a tough pull, but he is supposed to visit this weekend from what I'm told. He visited Texas A&M last weekend and could be offered before signing day. His sister goes there and is on the track team. There is also talk that he might get a Florida State offer. We'll see what he's all about if/when he visits. We supposedly had a really good in-home visit with him that impressed his family.

Mashburn is a serious project. I think he's a better prospect at other positions (Linebacker...possibly WR/H-Back). Really good athlete without a position.
This one belongs to the Wave.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Other visitors for this weekend:

Dalmont Gourdine, 6'6 270 DE from South Carolina. Visited UConn last weekend, Rutgers the weekend after us.

Jacquez Norman, 6'0 190 RB/S from Antioch, TN- No Tulane offer. Could be a walk-on visit. Has an offer from Southern Miss and several FCS schools. I like his defensive tape better.

*Mashburn also has no offer and could be a walk-on visit as well.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Strike that. No Matocha this weekend. He’s visiting Miami.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Scratch Matocha. We are likely not to get a visit at all. No QB in this cycle is so disappointing. You should have one in every class.

Nevertheless, let’s finish strong. There are a lot of good players that we are involved with to make this a very strong class. Any nrews on the kid from Baton Rouge?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

TU23 wrote:Strike that. No Matocha this weekend. He’s visiting Miami.
We'll get him when he transfers after next season. Or someone else.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I don’t think relying on transfer QB’s is a good thing. Building a foundation from the ground up with your QB is something I think is important to long term success. I love what Coach Fritz is doing with the program, but signing high school QB’s has been a disaster through three years. I am hoping that Christian Daniels has improved so much that a freshman QB is not a necessity in this cycle (even though one is needed in every cycle). On the other hand, I am hoping a good friend of the program is still right when he told me in December that we have our guy and he will sign late.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

I hope your friend is correct. Extremely long odds on Daniels. He was moved to WR last season for a reason. That was with very little depth at QB.
We deserve so much better
Rotorooter
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:I don’t think relying on transfer QB’s is a good thing.
We're not "relying" on transfer QBs--we are actively recruiting high school QBs. We have just whiffed on them since about 2010. We are fortunate that the "market" for QBs has changed and we have a viable fallback--transfers, which have greatly increased in numbers over the last several years. And I don't see that market doing anything but increasing. Bottom line is, what you want is 4-5 D1-capable guys vying for the starting QB position every spring--however you get it. I was half-joking about Matocha, but there is truth in what I said.

Until we start winning consistently, we will be relying on transfers and JUCOs until we become a more desirable destination--there is just too much competition for playmakers at QB than there are studs coming out of HS. They will be hunting for the top P5 schools until they find out they don't play, then come a-hunting for the places where they can play immediately--Viola! Tulane.

Get used to it. Worked for Rick Jones.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

McMillan should be our Poster Child for highly recruited QB's who fell for the P5 allure and then found themselves on the bench lost in a position loaded with talent. For the right QB Tulane can be a great destination. Also clearly we lacked good talent evaluation, maybe Hall can help us there. We've had too many misses at QB.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Your poster needs work, Backer. McMillan was not highly recruited. Any high rating he may have had came well after he committed to LSU.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

True apparently he was only a 2 Star recruit(!) according to Rivals. Then perhaps he can serve as a Poster Child for those QB's mired on the bench because of scheme, coaching preference, luck, etc but who feel that if they could have an opportunity to show what they can do in a different environment that they could contribute.......that TU might be a good option.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

long green wrote:Your poster needs work, Backer. McMillan was not highly recruited. Any high rating he may have had came well after he committed to LSU.
Eh, today's transfers that we're recruiting don't know that :wink:
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

One thing that cannot be said enough is that our change in philosophy and OC late in the season was too late to entice QBs who were already deep into their recruitment with other schools. 2020 is where we should see a change. We've already offered more than a handful of 2020 QBs. We can't compete with Miami/FSU/Texas A&M for the last couple of decent QBs left. We're going to have to get our man during the early signing period. If we would've offered Matocha a month earlier and he could have visited in December, I am confident he would've signed in December. We got on him too late.

The other thing we are going to have to do is develop the QBs on our roster. QBs tend to get better when they throw more. If we throw 30 passes a game, we're going to see better QB play overall. I have no doubt about that. I love what I see from Hall's play design from his past at West Georgia. He sets his QBs up to succeed unlike our last OC. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I can also see Dane Ledford producing at some point in the next couple of years. I think he's better than people realize. I don't think Daniels is destined to stay at QB. I think he moves permanently to WR where he could see the field as early as this year.
long green
Cornerstone

If Ledford has it in him, the “it” required is just turning into a viable backup and the when can wait until next year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Why wasn’t Matocha pursued earlier in the process? Fritz had to know for some time that a change in philosophy was inevitable. Timing is everything.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

tjtlja wrote:Why wasn’t Matocha pursued earlier in the process? Fritz had to know for some time that a change in philosophy was inevitable. Timing is everything.
"don't worry, we're firing the OC" isn't exactly something you can tell a recruit.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Why wasn’t Matocha pursued earlier in the process? Fritz had to know for some time that a change in philosophy was inevitable. Timing is everything.
If he wasn't someone that we were actively recruiting/offering a scholarship to, I doubt Fritz had any idea that he existed.
long green
Cornerstone

MattK wrote:
"don't worry, we're firing the OC" isn't exactly something you can tell a recruit.
Matocha is being inflated by virtue of his very late suitors. It happens. Clearly this staff had other guys more highly rated.