Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 am 
Riptide Level

"Tulane's Mike Dunleavy Sr + assistant were also in tonight for 2020 five-star Earl Timberlake, a source told Stockrisers and Prep Hoops.

Tulane recently picked up top-100 junior Elijah Wood.

@PrepHoops @stockrisers"

While the product on the court this year has been undeniably poor, in defense of Dunleavy, there is no way in Earth that Tulane is even having conversations with these upper tier recruits if he isn't the coach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 am 
Emerald Circle

I've seen an uptick in recruiting for sure, last year's class was ranked 5th in the AAC by Rivals (highest ranking to date I believe), we signed the kid from Wisconsin who was ranked as the top recruit in Wisconsin, the Elijah Wood commitment, etc. The question can he mold them together into a team that can win some games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
I've seen an uptick in recruiting for sure, last year's class was ranked 5th in the AAC by Rivals (highest ranking to date I believe), we signed the kid from Wisconsin who was ranked as the top recruit in Wisconsin, the Elijah Wood commitment, etc. The question can he mold them together into a team that can win some games.

Yeah, ya think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:11 am 
Emerald Circle

Dunleavy likes to run the program like the NBA, so hire a smart guy to be COO (e.g. coach Xs and Os) while he stays CEO (gladhanding, recruitment closer, face of the program).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

and that was supposed to be Stewart. Just don't know why it hasn't "clicked"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

EagerBiever wrote:
"Tulane's Mike Dunleavy Sr + assistant were also in tonight for 2020 five-star Earl Timberlake, a source told Stockrisers and Prep Hoops.

Tulane recently picked up top-100 junior Elijah Wood.

@PrepHoops @stockrisers"

While the product on the court this year has been undeniably poor, in defense of Dunleavy, there is no way in Earth that Tulane is even having conversations with these upper tier recruits if he isn't the coach.

Wait, are we having conversations, or are we just watching his games?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Dunleavy likes to run the program like the NBA, so hire a smart guy to be COO (e.g. coach Xs and Os) while he stays CEO (gladhanding, recruitment closer, face of the program).

? That's much more the college model than the NBA, where there's no gladhanding or recruiting to be done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:

? That's much more the college model than the NBA, where there's no gladhanding or recruiting to be done.

Call it what you may. Right now it’s not work8ng.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:54 pm 
Coach Level

Earl Timberlake is a really big time prospect. He will make an impact as a freshman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

Kid from Wisconsin is a stud according to the Wisconsin folks I talk to at work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

Kid from Wisconsin is a stud according to the Wisconsin folks I talk to at work.

Scouting reports seem to indicate that Days is an excellent rebounder and defender that needs to work on his offense. We are in dire need of a guy with those skills. It’s a great signing.

He is also a terrific student.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 am 
Crest Level

I posted elsewhere that assistant coaches Stewart and Chiles have legitimate basketball networks and recruiting bona fides, especially in the northeast. They seem to be gaining some traction with recruits but do they have any impact between the lines? Stewart, for example, spent 6 years at Oregon State with Craig Robinson, running the Princeton offense. Definitely haven't seen any aspects of that with the Green Wave this season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:30 am 
Emerald Circle

maybe this year will act as a wake up call for MD in that he may need to reevaluate a lot of the things he's doing. I've suspected that Fritz's first year in the AAC opened his eyes to the quality and level of talent he would face and he responded accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:18 am 
Cornerstone

Maybe...you said maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:21 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Maybe...you said maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 am 
Emerald Circle

I honestly don't know. Financially losing his job woudn't worry him. It wold be an battle over his ego: admit you guessed wrong on how to do this on so many levels and revamp your path forward or stick to your guns and chance the embarrassment of being fired after a dismal 5 plus years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:06 pm 
Regent's Circle

Lots of pro coaches have done well in college jobs. So far, MD is the most spectacular miss (and may it change. Game ain't over.)

Musselman has been a spectacular success at Nevada from day one. His pro HC record was a losing one and he never made the playoffs. If Musselman had been named HC at Tulane, all we would have heard was world class whining from some about hiring a mediocre NBA coach whose last job was an assistant at LSU. Now it's no way Nevada can keep him after this season (or so the "experts" say.)

Meanwhile MD is Tulane coach. I'm rooting for him to succeed but I won't deny it could be a textbook case of wishful thinking. It starts with Temple game at Devlin Saturday. Come join me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

sure but our history with HC's who came to us from professional sports hasn't been very good. Wally English, Curtis Johnson and now MD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm 
Cornerstone

Awful comparisons. CJ wasn’t a good choice but he got us into a bowl and left us in better shape (yes, this is relative) than English, Davis, and Toledo. English was a d@mn sociopath who Hindman Wall wanted to fire after one year. Unlike those two, Dunleavy was a very defensible hire who has overseen perhaps the worst hoops team we’ve ever had in his third year, when almost every coach worth a lick has got it together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Awful comparisons. CJ wasn’t a good choice but he got us into a bowl and left us in better shape (yes, this is relative) than English, Davis, and Toledo. English was a d@mn sociopath who Hindman Wall wanted to fire after one year. Unlike those two, Dunleavy was a very defensible hire who has overseen perhaps the worst hoops team we’ve ever had in his third year, when almost every coach worth a lick has got it together.

This

also limiting it to "our" history and offering a sample size of 3 (across two sports) Is a bit myopic. History says a lot of pro coaches can win in college, and others can't

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 am 
Emerald Circle

i think it is pretty common at better programs to have all the assistants do the coaching. we could let mike recruit and teach and have guys more oriented to the college game handle that facet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 am 
Navigator Level

I don't believe that to be common at all. The reality is quite the opposite. Plus his recruiting isn't going that great. As to developing players he had one a year his first two years that made a noticeable jump. It hasn't led to winning.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am 
President's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
i think it is pretty common at better programs to have all the assistants do the coaching. we could let mike recruit and teach and have guys more oriented to the college game handle that facet.

Coach K sure does a lot of gesticulating for a guy who doesn't coach. So does Calipari. But all have assistants have roles. But I question your initial sentence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am 
Emerald Circle

fine, the assistants do all the coaching in practices. the head coach has to put on a show for the game, but they don't put in the X's and O's during the week that make the team function. it might not be the majority, but i know of a couple big time programs that pretty much do exactly what i am describing (out of the mouths of some former players).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:07 am 
Navigator Level

So you're talking about Pete talking about Perry. Exception to the rule.