Final 2019 Football Recruiting Rankings

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Final 2019 Football Recruiting Rankings

Post by tjtlja »

Per 247 -

94th overall
8th in AAC
4th in the state

Per Rivals -

88th overall
8th in AAC
3rd in the state
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Final 2019 Football Recruiting Rankings

Post by Yankeewave »

balloon popped! let's hope they are wrong
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Balloon popped? How disingenuous can you be? You were Eeyoring away last December; your balloon should be full.

I wish for more splashes and happy surprises but I won't second guess this staff. We finished one DE short. I don't include an obvious void like QB'S not because we couldn't use one but because we went into this week knowing we weren't getting one out of HS.

As for the roster as is, I would look for a cornerback (We're okay but insurance wouldn't hurt), or a young itchy-footed QB who'd sit 2019 out.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

long green wrote:Balloon popped? How disingenuous can you be? You were Eeyoring away last December; your balloon should be full.

I wish for more splashes and happy surprises but I won't second guess this staff. We finished one DE short. I don't include an obvious void like QB'S not because we couldn't use one but because we went into this week knowing we weren't getting one out of HS.

As for the roster as is, I would look for a cornerback (We're okay but insurance wouldn't hurt), or a young itchy-footed QB who'd sit 2019 out.
when i look at where we are ranked, it is disappointing. the ranking system is flawed, but we were all thrilled with it last year when we were ranked higher. like most people on here, i tend to get caught up in the excitement and we all tend to look at things in a positive light, but seeing where we are ranked nationally and in the American is not good.

disingenuous? I wish I was as perfect as you. as usual the arbiter of all that is good and right at Tulane :roll:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

You tend to look at things in a positive light, you say? Someone should introduce you to yourself.

I wasn't thrilled with last year's class, I was encouraged. I am not discouraged with this class, though I wish we'd addressed another need or two. How many real playmakers did we get? That's the issue and it requires waiting. If we can name three in December we did well. Contributors are not hard to find.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It is disappointing to see us ranked that way. It is especially disappointing to not get a QB. This is why we need to really break through next season and win 10 or more. We can only hope we get two quality transfers in May.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I trust Coach Fritz and I think he has some play makers in this class. With that being said, I am disappointed with the ratings. The numbers usually don’t lie. I really thought this class would be Top 3 in the league, and rank somewhere in the 60’s. The reason I believed this would happen -

1. Winning record and bowl win.
2. Prior years classes - each one has gotten better and better as WF became more familiar with the athletes in the AAC.
3. The number of athletes in Louisiana. The state was loaded this year.
4. I really thought needing four guys in the late signing period would put this class over the top. There were a lot of quality players there for the taking. We did not close the deal and the bowl win certainly had no effect (perhaps it will next year).

I will expect a much better rated class in 2020.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Recruiting rankings don't include transfers, right? We probably picked up one of the better guys in the entire league in McCleskey. Yeah, he's one year, but I'll worry about that next recruiting season.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:Recruiting rankings don't include transfers, right? We probably picked up one of the better guys in the entire league in McCleskey. Yeah, he's one year, but I'll worry about that next recruiting season.
Is he only 1 year or 2? (I may be thinking of the Va transfer with 2 years). Either way, you are correct. He was ranked the #19 transfer this year but it won’t have an effect the class rating.

I saw one site had Houston ranked 86. They’ve had a lot more recent success than we have plus a multi-million dollar coach.

The solution to help with the problem is the obvious “win consistently”. Every opposing coach likely informed our kids that Tulane was a one-hit wonder this year and never puts back to back winning seasons together, etc.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:I trust Coach Fritz and I think he has some play makers in this class. With that being said, I am disappointed with the ratings. The numbers usually don’t lie. I really thought this class would be Top 3 in the league, and rank somewhere in the 60’s. The reason I believed this would happen -

1. Winning record and bowl win. too late to affect the class much. remember it wasn't until November that we didn't have a losing record. Now we have a winning record and a bowl victory to talk about at summer camps and such
2. Prior years classes - each one has gotten better and better as WF became more familiar with the athletes in the AAC.
3. The number of athletes in Louisiana. The state was loaded this year. Yes this is a bit disappointing considering the amount of other schools that were able to come into LA and get recruits. We do not have a good rep in LA. That needs to change.
4. I really thought needing four guys in the late signing period would put this class over the top. There were a lot of quality players there for the taking. We did not close the deal and the bowl win certainly had no effect (perhaps it will next year).

I will expect a much better rated class in 2020. I agree
I get the impression that our biggest obstacle from getting a good QB out of high school is our reputation as an option team. It has been said before on here. As soon as that changes we should do a bit better.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

We know how these recruiting sites work. There's what, 60-something "P5" schools? Nearly all of them will be higher just based on that. Also, they're averages, correct? So when we are taking full classes every year, they will likely be lower, on average, even if we have a higher top end. The most concerning part of it is the in-state rank. We should always be at least 2.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As noted, transfers aren't included in these rankings. Yet Tulane may have five or so starters/serious contributors ( from among McMillan, Dauphine, McCleskey, Montano, Knutson, Anderson, Howard) who are transfers in 2019 season with maybe more to come this summer plus a walk-on PK (Glover.) That's one-quarter to one-third of the starting lineup or a lot by any definition.

It shows Fritz is agile enough to find players where they are be it HS or otherwise. However great results like ten wins noted above will prove the progress the program is making under Fritz even if his recruiting is non-conventional.

He needs that on field success from the transfers because the rankings are right in that Tulane does not likely pull in enough HS talent today to achieve that without the transfers (or they wouldn't be breaking into the lineup.)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:We know how these recruiting sites work. There's what, 60-something "P5" schools? Nearly all of them will be higher just based on that. Also, they're averages, correct? So when we are taking full classes every year, they will likely be lower, on average, even if we have a higher top end. The most concerning part of it is the in-state rank. We should always be at least 2.
For whatever reasons (which have been spanked here ad nauseum), there is obviously a "town-gown" issue here where Tulane is underappreciated by too many Louisiana recruits who then look elsewhere. Fritz is getting equivalent recruits from other states where he doesn't have to overcome that. So at least he's not sitting on his hands while he works longterm to fix/improve LA. recruiting results.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

As I said, on rivals the first "G5" team appears at 55 (UCF)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Transfers also don't count in these rankings. We picked up the #19 transfer in McClesky. We picked up a starting OL, and another OL who will help. If those did count towards rankings, our rankings would be better. McClesky is the equivalent of a 4-star WR, for example.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Curious which OL you assume will start? UVA or Ivy? Was assuming guy from ivy starts. Will be interesting if a guy ftom a “P5” who didnt start comes here right away amd slots in. I read he was behind 2 upperclassmen, we also have less depth this year do could be a number of things besides talent disparity
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Transfers don't get counted in these rankings. However it is not unconventional to recruit those transfers anymore. It is now mainstream. So it's hard to know if our ranking would improve or not. McCleskey will be a standout for us. Anderson will help at LB. Montano will likely start. Knutson looks like he'll end up being more like Knighton than Fisher. We'll see.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

There's going to be another wave of transfers later this spring when teams complete spring practice. Some guys won't like where they sit on the depth chart and look to move on. A growing trend in college football is the mid year high school enrollee. Alabama has 15 kids that enrolled in January. Practically their entire 2019 roster is already in school ready for spring practice. That's a huge advantage. I think Tulane has two high school kids that enrolled for the spring semester.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Wave Revival wrote:There's going to be another wave of transfers later this spring when teams complete spring practice. Some guys won't like where they sit on the depth chart and look to move on. A growing trend in college football is the mid year high school enrollee. Alabama has 15 kids that enrolled in January. Practically their entire 2019 roster is already in school ready for spring practice. That's a huge advantage. I think Tulane has two high school kids that enrolled for the spring semester.
2 HS kids, 1 JC transfer and 2 Grad transfers -
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

wavedom wrote:Transfers don't get counted in these rankings. However it is not unconventional to recruit those transfers anymore. It is now mainstream. So it's hard to know if our ranking would improve or not. McCleskey will be a standout for us. Anderson will help at LB. Montano will likely start. Knutson looks like he'll end up being more like Knighton than Fisher. We'll see.
Then there's a lot of unnecessary angst on this site as Tulane is mainstream in recruiting (just unrecognized) and not an outlier which seems to be the tone of many of these posts. To quote the proverbial Brigade Commander, "I don't care how you take that hill. Just do it." We'll see if Tulane wins. I like Fritz's chances because he worked the problem instead of howling at the moon.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Yankeewave wrote:Curious which OL you assume will start? UVA or Ivy?
I believe Montano (Ivy) is the plug in at Center allowing Dublin to move to G.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

These are meaningless. As noted above, they don't count transfers or JUCOs and we have (and seem to consistently get under this staff) multiple impact transfer players. They also penalize you for not signing 25; I would rather hold a couple of schollys for the spring transfer market than sign some marginal high schooler the staff isn't sold on to boost these artificial rankings.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote:Transfers don't get counted in these rankings. However it is not unconventional to recruit those transfers anymore. It is now mainstream. So it's hard to know if our ranking would improve or not. McCleskey will be a standout for us. Anderson will help at LB. Montano will likely start. Knutson looks like he'll end up being more like Knighton than Fisher. We'll see.
Then there's a lot of unnecessary angst on this site as Tulane is mainstream in recruiting (just unrecognized) and not an outlier which seems to be the tone of many of these posts. To quote the proverbial Brigade Commander, "I don't care how you take that hill. Just do it." We'll see if Tulane wins. I like Fritz's chances because he worked the problem instead of howling at the moon.
Actually what has been said is that Tulane was doing something that others weren't and therefore gaining an advantage. It was you that said that. That's simply not the case. The angst is that the HS recruiting took a step back this year. The transfers do give some hope. That said you build a PROGRAM on HS recruiting.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Montano will start. McClesky will start, and be one of the best WRs we've had in a long time.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

wouldn't be surprised if Nick Anderson doesn't start as well or see some pretty significant playing time.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.