Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm
Posts: 204
2 basketball recruits in the class of 2020 who are expected to reclassify in 2019. They are twins and considered a packaged deal. They are down to Tulane, Pitt, and Rutgers, with them visiting presumed favorite Pitt this weekend. Justin is the higher rated of the two and is a borderline top 100 player in class of 2020.

My question is if they intend to reclassify to 2019, does that essentially eliminate Tulane?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25178
Location: New Orleans
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm
Posts: 143
These guys are at Bishop Laughlin in NYC - right in Coach Chiles' sweet spot.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/justin-champagnie
https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/julian-champagnie

Tulane not listed here, but who knows what's happening with other scholarship players after this train wreck of a season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20455
Location: New Orleans
at least they'll know that a promise of early playing time isn't a bunch of smoke :-D

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:40 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm
Posts: 204
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

Okayyyyyy?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 3010
Location: Destin, FL
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

You can never have enough of those. How many top 200 recruits do we have on roster right now. I would imagine we'll have attrition

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm
Posts: 143
Donny Z wrote:
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Sounds like a guy who doesn't feel that his job his in doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm
Posts: 204
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 3010
Location: Destin, FL
Looks like our 4-star 2020 commit, Elijah Wood, is one of the visitors this weekend.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/stat ... 48416?s=21


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:28 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 3010
Location: Destin, FL
angrywavedad wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Sounds like a guy who doesn't feel that his job his in doubt.


Sure does. And this ESPN article today outlines a case for keeping him - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21196
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Donny Z wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Sounds like a guy who doesn't feel that his job his in doubt.


Sure does. And this ESPN article today outlines a case for keeping him - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay
If you consider "Tulane shouldn't hope for any better than the cellar of the AAC" as a case for keeping a coach.

I don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10234
PeteRasche wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Sounds like a guy who doesn't feel that his job his in doubt.


Sure does. And this ESPN article today outlines a case for keeping him - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay
If you consider "Tulane shouldn't hope for any better than the cellar of the AAC" as a case for keeping a coach.

I don't.

He didn't say a good case, lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6229
Location: Gretna, LA
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
Donny Z wrote:
Last night on the Coach's show, I was told that Coach Dunleavy stated we have 4 top-150 recruits in this weekend and in 1-2 years he expects us to be like Houston. Did anyone listen?


Sounds like a guy who doesn't feel that his job his in doubt.


Sure does. And this ESPN article today outlines a case for keeping him - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay
If you consider "Tulane shouldn't hope for any better than the cellar of the AAC" as a case for keeping a coach.

I don't.

He didn't say a good case, lol.

When did Rick Dickson get a job writing fluff articles for ESPN?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 3207
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

Okayyyyyy?


At this point, we are starting from rock bottom. All positions should be open and who is coming and going should all be known. This is no different than the first year under Perry Clark. How many games did that team win?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 1090
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Maybe I'm misreading it but the listing posted above had both as two stars.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
wavedom wrote:
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Maybe I'm misreading it but the listing posted above had both as two stars.

Not sure where "verbalcommits.com" came from, but:
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Cha ... -46055233/
https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Cha ... -46055232/
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183345
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183346

And they're apparently visiting Pitt this weekend

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 1090
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Maybe I'm misreading it but the listing posted above had both as two stars.

Not sure where "verbalcommits.com" came from, but:
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Cha ... -46055233/
https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Cha ... -46055232/
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183345
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183346

And they're apparently visiting Pitt this weekend


Thanks. So one service has them as four stars, one as three stars and one as two stars. Plus from what those that follow it closely tell us is that one is clearly better than the other so we have to use two slots up to get the one people really want. If the good one was five star I might see doing that but not based on these rankings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Maybe I'm misreading it but the listing posted above had both as two stars.

Not sure where "verbalcommits.com" came from, but:
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Cha ... -46055233/
https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Cha ... -46055232/
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183345
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183346

And they're apparently visiting Pitt this weekend


Thanks. So one service has them as four stars, one as three stars and one as two stars. Plus from what those that follow it closely tell us is that one is clearly better than the other so we have to use two slots up to get the one people really want. If the good one was five star I might see doing that but not based on these rankings.

And we know they if they committed to us, their rankings would go down anyway

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7402
Location: Dripping Springs
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
EagerBiever wrote:
long green wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up but why could you not mention what positions they play?

They are wings/small forwards. That we have.

4 star, nationally ranked, borderline top 100 players? Na, Tulane doesn't need any of those.


Maybe I'm misreading it but the listing posted above had both as two stars.

Not sure where "verbalcommits.com" came from, but:
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Cha ... -46055233/
https://247sports.com/Player/Julian-Cha ... -46055232/
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183345
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183346

And they're apparently visiting Pitt this weekend


Thanks. So one service has them as four stars, one as three stars and one as two stars. Plus from what those that follow it closely tell us is that one is clearly better than the other so we have to use two slots up to get the one people really want. If the good one was five star I might see doing that but not based on these rankings.

And we know they if they committed to us, their rankings would go down anyway


Yeah, but not their talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5356
Location: Wichita
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/kansas ... t-lottery/

Interesting little article that talks about a player on Kansas and how his ranking jumped 200 spots purely based on his commitment to Kansas and how the rankings are based on schools offering.

Quote:
Agbaji is an example of how a talented prospect can simply fall through the cracks by not playing into the recruiting services and AAU culture. There are not 300 better freshman basketball players in the country, and there weren’t 300 better high school seniors when he was doing this last year.

Agbaji is also evidence of how much the scouting services are influenced by offers: In the two months after committing to Kansas, Agbaji’s 247Sports composite ranking (a compilation of main recruiting service rankings) jumped from No. 339 to No. 117 purely based on the fact that he chose Kansas.

Just like that.

That’s how arbitrary recruiting rankings can be — not every analyst or scout can watch every player. So, when a player happens to live in a city not known for producing basketball talent, doesn’t embrace the AAU circuit and grows two inches before his senior year, you get an overlooked recruiting profile like Agbaji

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:57 pm
Posts: 1343
Location: New Orleans, LA
Bishop Laughlin played in New Orleans in the Allstate Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic in January. They won the tournament. I've been told Pitt's head coach and top assistant were there to watch them play. Here's a link to the video of the championship game, which was live streamed by Crescent City Sports.
https://crescentcitysports.com/bishop-loughlin-holds-off-dunham-for-sugar-bowl-national-bracket-title/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3119
Location: New Orleans
Here is an Advocate story from that time about the twins' domination on the court during Bishop Laughlin's January game vs.Walker HS
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... e27e0.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6399
Teams from that tournament regularly attend Tulane MBB games during winter break. Obviously they are not hard to spot in a sparsely filled gym. Two or three years ago I spoke with the Loughlin coach (or perhaps it was another Catholic HS from Brooklyn or Queens) and his team walking back to the Loyola garage after an AAC game. Nice folks. They may have been staying at a Loyola dorm during winter break.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3119
Location: New Orleans
The twins visited Pitt last weekend but are not committing there at this time; they may not commit anywhere til sometime next month after their hoops season ends. Pitt is still in the running for their services but they will take other visit(s). Not known if Tulane will get an official visit prior to signing day.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group