shopping list for coach Hunter

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: shopping list for coach Hunter

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:Some of the transfers in the portal must have really interesting stories. Obviously many of the guys are the best player on a team that they can see won't get near the postseason and they are looking to make the jump to get that shot. We've seen that from Daniels back to Josh Davis. But then there's a situation like the number one rated guy, a successful center for Virginia Tech who the article says would be expected to be an all-conference type player wherever he goes... Makes you wonder why he is leaving. I mean, VT isn't the greatest place, but he's playing (and doing well) in the freaking ACC. I suspect many of those stories are off-the-court stuff (not necessarily bad stuff, just not basketball related).
Didn't his coach just leave too?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Some of the transfers in the portal must have really interesting stories. Obviously many of the guys are the best player on a team that they can see won't get near the postseason and they are looking to make the jump to get that shot. We've seen that from Daniels back to Josh Davis. But then there's a situation like the number one rated guy, a successful center for Virginia Tech who the article says would be expected to be an all-conference type player wherever he goes... Makes you wonder why he is leaving. I mean, VT isn't the greatest place, but he's playing (and doing well) in the freaking ACC. I suspect many of those stories are off-the-court stuff (not necessarily bad stuff, just not basketball related).
Didn't his coach just leave too?
Oops (admittedly I forgot that)... but still, that was just a "for instance"... and even in that case, VT is a decent program and postseason isn't out of the picture, so you wonder how the conversation went. I guess it's possible some of those players will literally end up following their old coach (you'd still enter the portal technically, even if you knew where you planned to go, right?), but a lot of times we forget these are college kids and there are human stories going on, not just "business" (I won't use the term "professional") ones. I guess what I'm really saying is that with, what is it, 700? kids transferring, it's not all about coaches and playing time.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Pete, to muse along with you, I think it might be a combination of things. There’s the age old greener pastures thing where any of us can be seduced into thinking it has to be be better elsewhere whether that be a job, a relationship, a home, a town, when in fact it’s usually what’s between the ears that needs an adjustment. I’d say that realization comes with age but only if it comes with wisdom too.

And it wouldn’t be a discussion board without beating on “these kids today”. Most of these star athletes have had praised heaped on them since they could pick up a ball so to suddenly not be Numero Uno on a Numero Uno team, they job hop just like their peers do in the business world. It’s always the other guy’s fault. Where’s my trophy?

Plus, with the portal and the tractor trailer size loopholes the NCAA has allowed its relatively easy to test the market. So, every year now it will be a Turkish Bazaar (go to Istanbul if you ever get the chance) of hundreds of disgruntled, put upon, anywhere but here, players. Price negotiable.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

I think the "grass is greener" theory is very on point. I'm sure there are plenty of non-athlete freshmen and sophomores at Tulane and other universities who would be very happy to switch schools if it was as easy as it was for athletes.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

between the one and done nonsense, this "transfer portal" goofyness and the sea of under the table cash to buy the top athletes.......MBB seems like its in freefall.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

angrywavedad wrote:I think the "grass is greener" theory is very on point. I'm sure there are plenty of non-athlete freshmen and sophomores at Tulane and other universities who would be very happy to switch schools if it was as easy as it was for athletes.
The difference for normal students is what we called in the marketing world, barriers to entry. If a student is miserable at his/her school, it’s on them and possibly the parents to go through the labyrinthine process of transferring. It’s like starting all over again as a high school senior. Transferable credits, finances, availability of housing are just a few of the considerations. What I’ve seen as the most likely cause is homesickness or separation from a beau. For a transferring athlete there is an entire infrastructure which smooths the process far easier than for a normal student. Like everything in their lives for a star athlete, someone is making your life easier because of your skill with a ball.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:I think the "grass is greener" theory is very on point. I'm sure there are plenty of non-athlete freshmen and sophomores at Tulane and other universities who would be very happy to switch schools if it was as easy as it was for athletes.
The difference for normal students is what we called in the marketing world, barriers to entry. If a student is miserable at his/her school, it’s on them and possibly the parents to go through the labyrinthine process of transferring. It’s like starting all over again as a high school senior. Transferable credits, finances, availability of housing are just a few of the considerations. What I’ve seen as the most likely cause is homesickness or separation from a beau. For a transferring athlete there is an entire infrastructure which smooths the process far easier than for a normal student. Like everything in their lives for a star athlete, someone is making your life easier because of your skill with a ball.
Except they lose a year of eligibility and the school they're leaving basically has veto power over where they wind up (unless they've graduated).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Except they lose a year of eligibility and the school they're leaving basically has veto power over where they wind up (unless they've graduated).
Both of those seem to have changed this year with the school the athlete is departing unable to block (this is why the transfer portal talk has increased so much this year) and the NCAA approving waivers to the "sit out a year rule" seemingly willy-nilly. So much so, in fact, that there is already talk of revisiting the waiver requirements.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... transfers/
https://www.offtackleempire.com/platfor ... tin-fields
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Both of those seem to have changed this year with the school the athlete is departing unable to block (this is why the transfer portal talk has increased so much this year) and the NCAA approving waivers to the "sit out a year rule" seemingly willy-nilly. So much so, in fact, that there is already talk of revisiting the waiver requirements.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... transfers/
https://www.offtackleempire.com/platfor ... tin-fields
True, the "barriers to entry" are starting to be lowered, thankfully.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

Any news on any other possible recruits?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
randymc wrote:I heard the exact opposite.
If you did then Hunter has done an amazing sales pitch since the day Daniels announced he was entering the portal.
Have seen players say they are going pro and then decide to return to school but I can't think of any who publicly said they were going to explore transferring and then didn't transfer (especially a desirable player like Daniels).
It's happened for football in the transfer portal although now I can't remember the school/player involved. Maybe a PSU player? Anyway it isn't common.
FSU QB, Miami WR (just off of the top of my head in football. I think it's a lot more common.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

FW wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
randymc wrote:I heard the exact opposite.
If you did then Hunter has done an amazing sales pitch since the day Daniels announced he was entering the portal.
Have seen players say they are going pro and then decide to return to school but I can't think of any who publicly said they were going to explore transferring and then didn't transfer (especially a desirable player like Daniels).
It's happened for football in the transfer portal although now I can't remember the school/player involved. Maybe a PSU player? Anyway it isn't common.
FSU QB, Miami WR (just off of the top of my head in football. I think it's a lot more common.
There are new rules involving the portal this year, so there isn't really a history to speak of. History kinda like all of Windy's posts now that he apparently won't be making any more of them.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

with all apologies to Cato the Elder, just add this to your tag line:

ventus non destruatur
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote:Image
For those who are banned:
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

So we’re just going to ruin threads on behalf of someone who ruined countless threads in much the same manner. It is an apt tribute.

I have no idea why he’s not here. I will only say that I have posts on here blaming him for introducing much of what was least admirable on these forums and suggesting that getting rid of him would stop a lot of it. I will unsay none of that. As for this campaign some here have undertaken I would like to say that it is by no means unanimous that we miss him. I don’t. Worse people than him have been kicked off recently and many better than him have been booted as well.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

ThePig wrote:Any news on any other possible recruits?
What is the latest? Anyone have any idea who will be on next years roster? Is it safe to assume -

Walker
Barrett
Zhang
Ajang
Koka
Days
McGee
Ona Embo???
Sehic???
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:So we’re just going to ruin threads on behalf of someone who ruined countless threads in much the same manner. It is an apt tribute.

I have no idea why he’s not here. I will only say that I have posts on here blaming him for introducing much of what was least admirable on these forums and suggesting that getting rid of him would stop a lot of it. I will unsay none of that. As for this campaign some here have undertaken I would like to say that it is by no means unanimous that we miss him. I don’t. Worse people than him have been kicked off recently and many better than him have been booted as well.
So because it's happened to others that we like better, it's ok that it's happening? What is seriously wrong with you people?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Instead of whining about who can post, provide some insight about the subject at hand. Who will be back on the basketball team next year? Are we close to signing any high school or college transfers? Seems more productive than the constant bellyaching.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I will go out on a limb and say your list of 9 above is a good one. Tulane also has a visitor (at least one) coming in this coming weekend. The visitor I have read about is Teshaun Hightower a 6-4 Mt. Zion Prep alum who would be a transfer from Georgia Bulldogs. He'd likely have to sit out a year. If Hightower signs Tulane would have 2-3 more openings.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

according to watchstadium website here is a grad transfer Tulane has interest in who'd be immediately eligible to play:
Camron Justice, 6-3, 180, SG, IUPUI
Stats: 18.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 35% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Skilled and crafty veteran guard who is a confident and aggressive scorer. Has some combo ability, but is most effective playing off the ball. Has deep range.”
Schools: Western Kentucky, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Northwestern, Marshall, Colorado State, Utah State, Tulane, SMU, EKU, Illinois State
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

tjtlja wrote:
What is the latest? Anyone have any idea who will be on next years roster? Is it safe to assume -

Walker
Barrett
Zhang
Ajang
Koka
Days
McGee
Ona Embo???
Sehic???
I would add Daniels??? Under ROE and Sehic. It would not surprise me if any or all of those 3 return. Which does not mean they will of course.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

randymc wrote:according to watchstadium website here is a grad transfer Tulane has interest in who'd be immediately eligible to play:
Camron Justice, 6-3, 180, SG, IUPUI
Stats: 18.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 35% 3-pointers
Scout’s take: “Skilled and crafty veteran guard who is a confident and aggressive scorer. Has some combo ability, but is most effective playing off the ball. Has deep range.”
Schools: Western Kentucky, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Michigan, Northwestern, Marshall, Colorado State, Utah State, Tulane, SMU, EKU, Illinois State
This guy has the exact profile of an ideal Hunter/McCallum recruit. If most/all of the projected nine named above return, the new staff could possibly field a decent team with addition of several talented recruits. For example, I think Koka and Ajang could provide reasonable rim protection in a Hunter intense zone defense. We will simply have to take the rebounding challenges for what they are in exchange for Tulane not giving up continual layups as it did in the previous man defense. Plus Koka and Ajang simply don't have the bulk to manup against a typical AAC post guy with a tight end physique.

Finally I haven't given up on Daniels returning although that's probably up there with wishing our pitching staff would just throw strikes.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Donny Z wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Walker
Barrett
Zhang
Ajang
Koka
Days
McGee
Ona Embo???
Sehic???
I would add Daniels??? Under ROE and Sehic. It would not surprise me if any or all of those 3 return. Which does not mean they will of course.
Hard to imagine Daniels or Sehic returning at this point. Not sure I see ROE transferring but maybe he tries to go pro in Europe?
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Among 2020 recruits that Coach Hunter is after include (according to recruiting analyst Corey Evans):
6-0 PG Chanse Robinson of Grambling, La., the stomping grounds of Jerald Honeycutt.
and...6-10 C Ebenezer Dowuona of the Heritage School in Newnan, Ga.