Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Justin Ibieta
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:48 am 
President's Circle

Justin Ibieta, QB from Country Day, appears to have visited Kentucky this past weekend. It also looks like we may have offered. Anyone close to the situation knows what sport or sports Justin will play in college?

Last edited by tjtlja on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Juan Ibieta
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 am 
Emerald Circle

Football?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:06 am 
Cornerstone

Justin

Post subject: Re: Justin Ibieta
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 am 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
Justin

Can we fix that BA's? Tks.

Last edited by sr on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am 
Regent's Circle

He's a decent pitcher too I recall us discussing I think maybe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:53 am 
President's Circle

sr wrote:
long green wrote:
Justin

Can we fix that BA's? Tks.

Sorry about that you’ll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 am 
President's Circle

eSports

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:57 am 
Emerald Circle

And while you're at it, remove the apostrophe from "Visitor's". Thanks.
:jerry:

Tangent on this tangent: I kid you not, the headline scroll on the local news here this morning was referring to something going on at a local university and referenced the plural of the male Greek groups as "Fraternity's". So not only are people incorrectly adding apostrophes EVERY-FRIGGIN-WHERE these days, but some adult, whose job is to write news headlines to scroll on TV, doesn't even understand the plural usage of "-ies". My third grade daughter had that in school a month or two ago and she understands it completely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:38 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
And while you're at it, remove the apostrophe from "Visitor's". Thanks.
:jerry:

Tangent on this tangent: I kid you not, the headline scroll on the local news here this morning was referring to something going on at a local university and referenced the plural of the male Greek groups as "Fraternity's". So not only are people incorrectly adding apostrophes EVERY-FRIGGIN-WHERE these days, but some adult, whose job is to write news headlines to scroll on TV, doesn't even understand the plural usage of "-ies". My third grade daughter had that in school a month or two ago and she understands it completely.

I was going to be the jerk who pointed that out :)
In fairness, the word replacement software on Therese (these) phones can get kinda won't (wonky).
(Original words left for emphasis)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
In fairness, the word replacement software on Therese (these) phones can get kinda won't (wonky).
Is that you, Prof? 8)

For Christmas one of my stocking stuffers was a T-shirt with the caption “I am silently correcting your spelling, punctuation, and grammar.” And yes, I am a devotee of the Oxford Comma.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Is that you, Prof? 8)

For Christmas one of my stocking stuffers was a T-shirt with the caption “I am silently correcting your spelling, punctuation, and grammar.” And yes, I am a devotee of the Oxford Comma.

I saw cartoon that showed a grave marker saying "Here lies the inventor of Autocorrect; may he restaurant in peaches."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:38 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Justin Ibieta, QB from Country Day, appears to have visited Kentucky this past weekend. It also looks like we may have offered. Anyone close to the situation knows what sport or sports Juan will play in college?

JUAN, his dad, was the best athlete growing up in Chalmette. Even as a 8-12 year old in summer camp you could tell he was going to be something more than just a kid playing sports. He was ALWAYS the first pick in any sport, when picking teams. I'm not sure Brockhoff really used him effectively, but not criticizing.

Justin seems to be just in that mold, and to boot, his mother Julie Stempel (CD volleyball coach) was equally a high school and college star athlete.

And from what I've heard, sis Jenna did well as a freshman for the Wave, but not sure of her exact stats.

Let's hope the family connection and legacy of a Tulane education has some sway!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:56 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
He's a decent pitcher too I recall us discussing I think maybe

He can hit too

Post subject: Justin Ibieta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:29 pm 
President's Circle

Check this out -

https://twitter.com/justinibieta13/stat ... 65697?s=12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 pm 
Regent's Circle

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52284

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 pm 
Regent's Circle

talented guy. Tulane is recruiting him very hard with reasonable chance of success. Obviously we are a long way to finish line.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 am 
President's Circle

I say this with peace and love [Ringo Starr voice]...Ibieta is a BIG project. That's not a knock on him, either. It's a product of playing so many sports and a lack of strength and conditioning program.
He's only played two years of football and is a long way from competing physically. It's a testament to the kid's natural talent that he's been able to be this good at all 3 sports. He's going to need time to develop his body to the point where he can take a pounding, improve his arm strength and improve his speed. Not to mention, he's going to need time to learn more about playing the QB position. You're accepting his signature knowing he likely won't be a factor for 2 years or more. If you take him, you also have to take another kid (either via transfer or another freshman) who can be ready to play immediately if necessary. This is a HUGE year for QB recruiting and we need 2 (if not 3) preferably with staggered levels of experience (i.e.- 1 grad transfer, 1 undergrad transfer and a HS QB).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:00 am 
Regent's Circle

TU23 wrote:
I say this with peace and love [Ringo Starr voice]...Ibieta is a BIG project. That's not a knock on him, either. It's a product of playing so many sports and a lack of strength and conditioning program.
He's only played two years of football and is a long way from competing physically. It's a testament to the kid's natural talent that he's been able to be this good at all 3 sports. He's going to need time to develop his body to the point where he can take a pounding, improve his arm strength and improve his speed. Not to mention, he's going to need time to learn more about playing the QB position. You're accepting his signature knowing he likely won't be a factor for 2 years or more. If you take him, you also have to take another kid (either via transfer or another freshman) who can be ready to play immediately if necessary. This is a HUGE year for QB recruiting and we need 2 (if not 3) preferably with staggered levels of experience (i.e.- 1 grad transfer, 1 undergrad transfer and a HS QB).

Well I look forward to all the posts about Ibieta's strengths and why he earned his four stars if and when LSU offers him. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am 
President's Circle

There's a lot to like about him for sure. Great size, smart, doesn't panic when play breaks down, accurate on the run. Almost all of his deficiencies can be solved by more experience, more time in the weight room and more coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 pm 
President's Circle

He's worth a scholarship in football, especially if he can pitch for the baseball team. Hope he doesn't start after a red-shirt year like a certain someone who CJ was enamored over. Although, he could run out of trouble and throw the ball. :green wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 am 
Cornerstone

It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
It is by no means certain that this kid is worthy of a priceless (for us, this year, at QB) scholarship. Not yet, anyway. Anyone saying he is is just talking out of his hat. I would go so far as to say that getting him on campus this summer should be a priority, along with several other QB prospects, including some other local guys. Oh, and baseball ability should play NO PART WHATSOEVER in evaluating any QB prospect. Should it be disqualifying? No.

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:

Sorry but why shouldn't being a potentially decent multi-sport athlete matter? That's what I respect about Fritz. He clearly is within reason willing to use his relatively larger football resources to help other sports at Tulane.

One other issue here: Tulane football is recruiting Ibieta very hard. Some of us here are rooting for it to succeed because Ibieta is a local Tulane athletic legacy on multiple levels. Regardless of that, why is Fritz pursuing him so hard if this guy is such a project? This isn't being driven by the fans. It's coming from Wilson building.

Your starting QB has to be a full time FB player, it's too important a position. Same goes for a guy needing experience...he'll get that experience in spring practice.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:

Your starting QB has to be a full time FB player, it's too important a position. Same goes for a guy needing experience...he'll get that experience in spring practice.

So says Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:

So says Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston, Russell Wilson...
If Ibieta is that good, he can play whatever he wants and just show up on Saturdays. Though even Kyler Murray, Heisman Trophy winner and #1 overall NFL draft pick, didn't play baseball last summer after signing with the A's. Anyway, I'm operating under TU23's post that he needs a lot of work...that's not going to happen if he's playing baseball. Not to mention the inevitable TJ surgery if he pitches.