2020 Football Commitments

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2020 Football Commitments

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:Slade Nagle just Roll Waved for some reason.
For us non-close-followers, who is Slade Nagle?
He's our TE's coach.
Heh... oh yeah.
My mind was so locked on thinking about recruits and all the names I've seen on this board that it didn't even register! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

My very uneducated guess would be Friloux.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:Slade Nagle just Roll Waved for some reason.
For us non-close-followers, who is Slade Nagle?
He's our TE's coach.
Heh... oh yeah.
My mind was so locked on thinking about recruits and all the names I've seen on this board that it didn't even register! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I figured that was what happened as people's minds are trained on recruits names in this particular forum.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tjtlja wrote:My very uneducated guess would be Friloux.
I know it's a DB but do you think Coach was referring to the FSU transfer?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Yes. A really nice pickup. Besides QB, the DB position is next in the pecking order.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I have updated the very first page with the latest signings. With one week left to signing day, I think we will add some quality players.

My guess is we get -

DT Adonis Friloux
OL Trey Tuggle
DE Elijah Champaigne (provided he is healthy)

The final one or two (if Champaigne doesn’t sign) will either be a QB/RB/WR/DB.

Regardless of how we finish, this is the best class we have ever signed in my opinion. From 1 through 21, this class is loaded with talent. The only pieces missing is that QB that can compete right now, and a RB (I know we are deep at that position, but I like to get one in every class).

Give WF a raise. Excellent job!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

transfer QB. c'mon baby!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If recruiting classes were rated including the previous star rating of transfers, I'd be curious to see how our rating changed. Our score would certainly go up by adding these former 4-star guys, but I imagine many others' ratings would go up as well.
Last edited by PeteRasche on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

There will come a time when the transfer portal is part of the rating. There is certainly enough information on these guys to justify the high school rating.

If I were to rating our three transfers, I would say -

1. LB Kevin Henry - Oklahoma State - 3 star out of high school - I would still have him as a 3 star because he has played a lot as his career has progressed and been a solid contributor.

2. WR Mykel Jones - Oklahoma- 4 star out of high school - I would downgrade him to a 3 star based on lack of production - we know he has been hurt, but attendance is part of the grade - on the flip side he garners 3 stars because he got on the field so early in his career and that is saying something if you are WR at Oklahoma

3. DB Kyle Meyers - Florida State - 4 star out of high school - I would keep him a 4 star based on his production at a marquee school - should be a huge contributor for us next year
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Baywave1 wrote:
Maybe....but Meyers tagged McClesky and Fritz in his tweet and not Nagle.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Saintgreenie wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Maybe....but Meyers tagged McClesky and Fritz in his tweet and not Nagle.

Hmm. Good homework. So perhaps Mr. Nagle is referring to Mr. Friloux? That would make tjtlja very prescient and give most of us recruiting hot stove folks some more good news to digest. We'll know in a week or less.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

[quote/] Hmm. Good homework. So perhaps Mr. Nagle is referring to Mr. Friloux? That would make tjtlja very prescient and give most of us recruiting hot stove folks some more good news to digest. We'll know in a week or less.[/quote]

Friloux appears to be an upgrade to prior commit Narcisse.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Getting Friloux is big. Terrific motor, plays in a tough district, and a staggering 58 sacks in his high school career.

I have us at 22 right now. The final 2-3 will be very interesting. Maybe TU23 or FTW can let us know if we expect any visitors on this final weekend. I know Sydney Williams visits Ole Miss this weekend. I guess whether or not Champaigne signs now or next semester will play a big role on us signing anyone else. And there has been nothing from the Tuggle camp. Is he visiting anyone this weekend? Also what is going on with Jalen White’s recruitment? Have we been eliminated, or did we just move on? White visits Florida this weekend.
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I still guess Fritz tries to bring in an experienced QB whether now or even in late summer like a JM. Otherwise he is showing enormous trust in his frosh signees.

This is about depth at most important position on field not that Howard can't do it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think we take a QB either next week, or perhaps more likely after spring ball plays out. At that time, a new crop will be entering the portal.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

tjtlja wrote:I think we take a QB either next week, or perhaps more likely after spring ball plays out. At that time, a new crop will be entering the portal.
I doubt we take one until after Spring if we take one.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I think we’re hunting for a grad transfer QB with 2 years left. Many of those guys will graduate in May or early summer. We want someone who can be an experienced backup and/or challenge Howard. It would be a big plus if that player had 2 years left.
This one belongs to the Wave.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TU23 wrote:I think we’re hunting for a grad transfer QB with 2 years left. Many of those guys will graduate in May or early summer. We want someone who can be an experienced backup and/or challenge Howard. It would be a big plus if that player had 2 years left.
Chase Brice has 2 years and has reportedly looked at Duke and Vandy and has interest in 5 or 6 schools. Maybe we're one?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
rolgreen
Head Trainer

Post by rolgreen »

What type of quarterback is Chase Brice, drop back, pocket passer, RPO guy, and where did he play last year and how much did he play, If anyone knows any info on him, inquiring fans want to know.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

rolgreen wrote:What type of quarterback is Chase Brice, drop back, pocket passer, RPO guy, and where did he play last year and how much did he play, If anyone knows any info on him, inquiring fans want to know.
Trevor Lawrence's back up at Clemson
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

rolgreen wrote:What type of quarterback is Chase Brice, drop back, pocket passer, RPO guy, and where did he play last year and how much did he play, If anyone knows any info on him, inquiring fans want to know.
https://www.google.com/m?q=chase+brice
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

This is simply a reminder that as frustrating as the Duffey matter was, there are other experienced/talented QBs Fritz can recruit with the right profile to compete with Howard. I know we'd like him on campus now but if he shows up in June that could work well.

No prediction on who Fritz brings in but I'm confident it won't be a practice body. If he can't find the right person then I guess he'll just rely on Pratt/Ibietta. Who knows maybe Daniels could do something now too?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Chase Brice is the guy in the news because he has made his announcement but there will be others. When and if Alabama makes their decision on a starter someone could shake loose there, like Mac Jones.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

There will be a lot of options. Every year (as lg hints), more and more QBs declare for the portal the minute they are relegated to 2nd- or 3rd-string as an upperclassman. Justin McMillan wasn't an outlier, he was just at the start of what's becoming the new normal.

The frustration expressed here was at a boiling point purely because of the desire to have said QB available for Spring practice. Now that the window is closed for that, I'm betting we find someone who will make the fanbase happy.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I've heard Brice is likely to go to Duke, but we'll see.