Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Basketball visitor today
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am 
President's Circle

4-star wing (Rivals Top 35 nationally) Matthew Cleveland out of Georgia is on campus at Tulane today for hoops, recruit analyst Corey Evans confirms via Twitter. He has also visited Cal, Stanford, NC State and Ga. Tech in addition to Tulane.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:55 am 
President's Circle

randymc wrote:
4-star wing (Rivals Top 35 nationally) Matthew Cleveland out of Georgia is on campus at Tulane today for hoops, recruit analyst Corey Evans confirms via Twitter. He has also visited Cal, Stanford, NC State and Ga. Tech in addition to Tulane.

If we get him, then Hunter can recruit his @ss off. He isn't shying away from big recruits, that's for sure.

My bet is that the under-the-table money will get him, sorry to say.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

Which of those other four do you think is throwing out the under the table money?

BTW, I think it should be called a "strong-@ss offer".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Which of those other four do you think is throwing out the under the table money?

Lets make that strong ass offer before he leaves :mrgreen:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

Cal has been known to, as has NC State. GT doesn't need to with the State of Ga's Hope Scholarship.

Frankly, if Stanford offers you a full scholly and you turn it down, you're probably too stupid to go to Stanford. But you have to admit, MBB is more susceptible to graft than any of the other college sports. Especially when you throw in the AAU leagues/coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:47 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:

Frankly, if Stanford offers you a full scholly and you turn it down, you're probably too stupid to go to Stanford. But you have to admit, MBB is more susceptible to graft than any of the other college sports. Especially when you throw in the AAU leagues/coaches.

The old joke my buddy told who graduated from Leland Stanford Junior University fifty years ago is that he attended Stanford University and Plunkett and the Rose Bowl team attended the affiliated Junior College. Brutally frank and unfair but with some merit. At least then, Stanford had a College of Education. I don't know what the "athlete friendly" majors there are today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:44 am 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Frankly, if Stanford offers you a full scholly and you turn it down, you're probably too stupid to go to Stanford.
My junior year of high school I received a "letter of interest" from Stanford for basketball (meaning, you fill it out with your info and stats and they put you in their database and decide whether to continue recruiting you). I did not fill it out because I didn't think I wanted to go to school that far away. Was I stupid? In retrospect you could say that, but the truth is that I was naive, sheltered, and a bit lazy (and it was 1988, pre-internet). I knew nothing of Stanford's reputation overall (I had a vague sense it was a good academic school), my parents were not college educated and they didn't really know anything about Stanford, and I was too lazy to go to the library and look up info about it. Also, Stanford had not been good in sports of any sort for basically the whole time that I was aware of college sports; the only thing I'd *ever* heard about them was that they had a guard named Todd Lichti who was all-conference or maybe even all-American.

Obviously this wouldn't happen today... a couple of clicks and I'd know everything about Stanford, and I would have been sending them that letter as fast as possible...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am 
Emerald Circle

I understand, Pete, for the same reasons. First one to go to college and with the added disadvantage of going to a DOD school overseas where we were even more isolated in the snail mail era. Didn’t even have guidance counselors. “Good colleges” were whatever you heard in casual conversations. Navy guys talked about Annapolis so of course I applied there. Another father talked about Duke—applied there but only vaguely knew they had a good basketball team. I got interested in Tulane because my then girlfriend’s family was from New Orleans and they always talked up the city.

So, here we are 50 years later and the Interweb drastically levels the information playing field—a spectacularly good thing. Would we have made the same college choice now? Who knows, but I am who I am because of those little twists of fate then and wouldn’t have it any other way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Frankly, if Stanford offers you a full scholly and you turn it down, you're probably too stupid to go to Stanford.
My junior year of high school I received a "letter of interest" from Stanford for basketball (meaning, you fill it out with your info and stats and they put you in their database and decide whether to continue recruiting you). I did not fill it out because I didn't think I wanted to go to school that far away. Was I stupid? In retrospect you could say that, but the truth is that I was naive, sheltered, and a bit lazy (and it was 1988, pre-internet). I knew nothing of Stanford's reputation overall (I had a vague sense it was a good academic school), my parents were not college educated and they didn't really know anything about Stanford, and I was too lazy to go to the library and look up info about it. Also, Stanford had not been good in sports of any sort for basically the whole time that I was aware of college sports; the only thing I'd *ever* heard about them was that they had a guard named Todd Lichti who was all-conference or maybe even all-American.

Obviously this wouldn't happen today... a couple of clicks and I'd know everything about Stanford, and I would have been sending them that letter as fast as possible...

John Elway?!?!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:06 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Fine, then. Ignorant instead of stupid. Better?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 pm 
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Similar here. My HS offered no help in finding the school I should choose.

I knew we could not afford for me to pay for a dorm room, so I only applied where I could get free lodging. I applied to Stanford because I had an aunt who lived in Sunnyvale; I applied to Iowa State because I had an aunt in Ames. I applied to USNA because then everything would be paid for, and because my parents had touted the Naval Academy from as long as I could remember. I applied to Tulane because I could get NROTC to pay tuition and books, and I could live at home. I was accepted to all four. Figured the Navy would pay for tuition and books wherever I went. However, in the end, I got an attack of shyness and decided not to ask my aunts about staying with them (I didn't know either of them real well, and I was afraid of "awkward.").

In the end, it came down to TULA and USNA. I met a new girlfriend (later a wife) the day after graduation, so I told my dad that I had decided I wanted "an engineering education, not a ship-driving education." Never regretted it.

My closest childhood friend chose USNA. He played football and baseball for them, but quit after his first year because it was too regimented for him--ended up transferring to Texas A&M, and left there, too; graduated from some small Lutheran school in Texas.

But there really was no ranking system to speak of back in the 60's. Everything was word of mouth, and if you had a crappy guidance counselor, like I did, you were shooting into a dark forest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
John Elway?!?!

1. He graduated when I was 11, I wasn't paying attention to college sports. All I knew were Reds and Bengals. I discovered the NCAA Basketball Tournament around that time, though.
2. I grew up in the heart of basketball country. College football was a nonfactor except for the occasional mention of Notre Dame. Literally the first college football ANYTHING I remember hearing about was Flutie's Hail Mary, and I was like 13. Elway was in the NFL by then. I didn't see the ending of Cal-Stanford until years after it had happened.
3. Because I knew nothing of college football, I knew nothing of where any NFL players had gone to college. I didn't even know the Bengals' Rodney Holman and Eric Thomas had gone to Tulane until I had signed with Tulane. I don't think I knew Elway had gone to Stanford until very late in his career, probably when I was at Tulane (and he was in his first Super Bowl in 1990).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:29 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

Well, one of those things is not like the others academically, and it also happens to be the one with an assistant coach (former, I guess?) embroiled in the recent scandal for paying players so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure this one out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm 
Coach Level

Further threadjack regarding Stamford and a backyard brag a la TUPF.

When I graduated from Tulane and applied for Grad School in Engineering I turned down Stamford.
When my son graduated from Tulane and applied for Grad School in Engineering he turned down Stamford.
When my daughter applied for Law School she too turned down Stamford.

I suggested to our grandkids that Stamford may well have a list of families to reject and we are on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

CT Wave wrote:

When I graduated from Tulane and applied for Grad School in Engineering I turned down Stamford.
When my son graduated from Tulane and applied for Grad School in Engineering he turned down Stamford.

I suggested to our grandkids that Stamford may well have a list of families to reject and we are on it.

Did any of you get offers from StaNford? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

StaMford is a real school, I vaguely remember.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:45 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

You are right, Pete. My daughter lives in Stamford, CT and the school I was referencing was the Stanford Jr. College. HAHA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

You are right, Pete. My daughter lives in Stamford, CT and the school I was referencing was the Stanford Jr. College. HAHA.

There's a Samford

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

There's a Samford
I lived about a 3 minute walk from Samford for a couple of years and drove past it every day for the next four years after buying my first house. Literally last night I was at a meeting at my daughter's school for those volunteering to coach basketball this coming year (yeah... I am...) and the coach of the other team in my daughter's grade just moved to Cincinnati after 12 years in Chicago which was preceded by 17 years in Birmingham, which started when he and his now wife attended Samford. It's a weird small world.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:

There's a Samford
I lived about a 3 minute walk from Samford for a couple of years and drove past it every day for the next four years after buying my first house. Literally last night I was at a meeting at my daughter's school for those volunteering to coach basketball this coming year (yeah... I am...) and the coach of the other team in my daughter's grade just moved to Cincinnati after 12 years in Chicago which was preceded by 17 years in Birmingham, which started when he and his now wife attended Samford. It's a weird small world.

While not quite on the level of Stanford or Tulane, Samford is a perfectly cromulent small regional school. I went to grad school with someone who went there for their undergrad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:50 am 
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:

While not quite on the level of Stanford or Tulane, Samford is a perfectly cromulent small regional school. I went to grad school with someone who went there for their undergrad.

Bingo a very apt Simpsons reference for you bacon lovers reminding me that Homer's most famous quote should not be "DOH!" but rather "The pig is a magical animal."