Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 pm 
Cornerstone

Quote:
You keep saying he "interviewed". All I ever saw reported was that he had spoken to a couple schools about their opening. Nothing reported on what was said. Can anyone confirm an actual attempt to land another job?
Nope

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:05 am 
President's Circle

Per Guerry -

“Dannen publicly guaranteed him a contract extension on Sunday night.

Arkansas reportedly interviewed Fritz last Sunday before hiring Sam Pittman, the associate head coach and offensive line coach at Georgia. Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports wrote Missouri had Fritz on its short list, too, but the Tigers reportedly were finalizing a deal with Appalachian State coach Eliah Drinkwitz on Monday.”

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:05 am 
Regent's Circle

Quote:
Per Guerry -

“Dannen publicly guaranteed him a contract extension on Sunday night.

Arkansas reportedly interviewed Fritz last Sunday before hiring Sam Pittman, the associate head coach and offensive line coach at Georgia. Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports wrote Missouri had Fritz on its short list, too, but the Tigers reportedly were finalizing a deal with Appalachian State coach Eliah Drinkwitz on Monday.”
while I am relatively certain that information is accurate because it appears Guerry may have chatted with Dannen before posting the story... but as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't recommend using anything written by Guerry Smith to bolster my argument with anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:25 am 
President's Circle

When I posted part of the article, I knew the authors credibility would be brought into question.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:37 am 
Regent's Circle

Quote:
When I posted part of the article, I knew the authors credibility would be brought into question.
just the nature of the game with Guerry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:42 am 
Cornerstone

The real issue is that it all hangs on “reportedly.” That’s not Guerry being unreliable, that’s Guerry being generous to a rather thin “sources say” report online. Was there at least some contact? Almost certainly. Not the same thing as a full on interview and/or being offered the job.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:50 am 
Emerald Circle

Quote:
These young men who sign tomorrow will become football players and represent Tulane University. They are the future. They become part of the family through the recruiting process. While stupid to others, some of us really enjoy the process. You can’t tell us we are idiotic, exceedingly stupid, and worry warts because you don’t care to follow this. Recruiting is no different than the draft. Keep your derogatory comments for something else like football helmets and uniforms.

And there is a direct correlation with winning and losing. The proof is the W’s and L’s. Look at our record and look at Alabama or Clemson. The correlation applies to 80% of the teams that play D1.
I enjoy and follow recruiting. Fritz is our coach and whether he did or did not interview with other schools has no effect on recruiting and it's silly to think otherwise. If our coaches can't convince some 18 year old to ignore some extremely vague reports that another school or two might have been interested in Fritz, schools that have long since already hired someone mind you, then we need to start over with a whole new coaching staff. Lincoln Riley has been linked to the Cleveland Browns job for months, is Oklahoma's recruiting in the tank?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 am 
Emerald Circle

Quote:
These young men who sign tomorrow will become football players and represent Tulane University. They are the future. They become part of the family through the recruiting process. While stupid to others, some of us really enjoy the process. You can’t tell us we are idiotic, exceedingly stupid, and worry warts because you don’t care to follow this. Recruiting is no different than the draft. Keep your derogatory comments for something else like football helmets and uniforms.
There is a third path which I am happy to travel every year. I highly appreciate the work long green, TU 23, doc, baywave1, and many others put in each year to keep the rest of us apprised. It’s an inexact science to be sure and there are bound to be blindside blocks and occasional personal fouls. If it were easy anyone could do it. We are talking about 18 year olds, not much different that herding cats.

I’m lazy in the fact that I really don’t pay much attention until the two-deep is published a few days before the first game. That does not take away from my enjoyment. I understand that many folks consider how they got there to be even more important and I am thankful for their insights—after all, everyone here probably has a day job. So keep on keeping on and know that you are appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 am 
President's Circle

Let's list the schools who aren't recruiting against the "that coach isn't going to be there" argument:

Clemson (but they'll get it if Saban appears close to retirement)
Alabama (except Saban's getting old)
LSU (wouldn't have made the list last year)
Ohio State (though their previous coach suddenly retired)
Navy??
Texas A&M for a few more years?

Everyone else is either looking to move up or on some sort of hot seat if things go awry.

That's not to say there shouldn't be concern about recruiting, but I struggle to think "coach is going to leave" would be the cause of it. Fritz could say the exact same thing of any coach he's recruiting against.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 am 
Regent's Circle

Quote:
Quote:
There is a third path which I am happy to travel every year. I highly appreciate the work long green, TU 23, doc, baywave1, and many others put in each year to keep the rest of us apprised. It’s an inexact science to be sure and there are bound to be blindside blocks and occasional personal fouls. If it were easy anyone could do it. We are talking about 18 year olds, not much different that herding cats.

I’m lazy in the fact that I really don’t pay much attention until the two-deep is published a few days before the first game. That does not take away from my enjoyment. I understand that many folks consider how they got there to be even more important and I am thankful for their insights—after all, everyone here probably has a day job. So keep on keeping on and know that you are appreciated!
+1. I'm right there with you TUPF.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 am 
President's Circle

Quote:
Quote:

TUPF, and GretnaGr, thank you!

Last edited by tjtlja on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:09 am 
President's Circle

Quote:
Quote:

And there is a direct correlation with winning and losing. The proof is the W’s and L’s. Look at our record and look at Alabama or Clemson. The correlation applies to 80% of the teams that play D1.
I enjoy and follow recruiting. Fritz is our coach and whether he did or did not interview with other schools has no effect on recruiting and it's silly to think otherwise. If our coaches can't convince some 18 year old to ignore some extremely vague reports that another school or two might have been interested in Fritz, schools that have long since already hired someone mind you, then we need to start over with a whole new coaching staff. Lincoln Riley has been linked to the Cleveland Browns job for months, is Oklahoma's recruiting in the tank?
I hear what you are saying, but we aren’t Oklahoma. As a middle weight, we don’t absorb the blows that a heavyweight can.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hear what you are saying, but we aren’t Oklahoma. As a middle weight, we don’t absorb the blows that a heavyweight can.
Oklahoma is recruiting against other heavyweights, so it's still relevant. They were just an example, but as MattK pointed out, it's everywhere. Since it's everywhere, it's not that big of a deal.