Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
Coach Level

Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by doc »

Two local HS players are getting big-time interest. 2023 6-5 PG Chris Lockett,Jr, Isidore Newman HS, has received offers from Vanderbilt, Baylor, and Houston. 2022 6-8 PF Kyran Ratliff, Booker T Washington HS, has received offers from Georgetown and Arkansas.

doc
Coach Level

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by doc »

Tulane may have some interest in 2021 HS 6-1 PG Jordan Boston of Sophie B Wright HS. Boston is reportedly a solid prospect who is thin but should fill out and get bigger and stronger.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Sion James, the 6-4 PG that Tulane signed in the fall, scored 23 points to lead his Lanier HS team to a quarterfinal win and into the 6A Georgia semifinals in their high school hoops playoffs. He had 14 points in the 4th quarter and OT in a 2-point win; also a key steal and assist toward the game's end.

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Thanks for that update.
Here we come!

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Tulane offers 2022 6-7 PF Kendall Campbell from Douglasville, GA

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane to get a visit Friday and Saturday for (hoops match vs Memphis) from 6-6 G Andy Barba (a 2021 recruit) who plays for International Sports Academy in Ohio. He is also getting interest from Dayton, Texas A & M, Loyola (CHI) and others.

Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

randymc wrote:Tulane to get a visit Friday and Saturday for (hoops match vs Memphis) from 6-6 G Andy Barba (a 2021 recruit) who plays for International Sports Academy in Ohio. He is also getting interest from Dayton, Texas A & M, Loyola (CHI) and others.
Was recently offered by Washington State.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

How many kids will we take in the late signing period? We lose Thompson, Thomas, and Lawson. We add guards James and Coleman. With the two additions, we currently sit at 11 scholarships. Is anyone expected to transfer? Will we look to the portal? Has anyone committed yet? Who are our main targets for next year? Will we sign a couple of big guys?s

We have heard a lot about James. What about Coleman?

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Coleman is a deep shooter

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tjtlja wrote:How many kids will we take in the late signing period? We lose Thompson, Thomas, and Lawson. We add guards James and Coleman. With the two additions, we currently sit at 11 scholarships. Is anyone expected to transfer? Will we look to the portal? Has anyone committed yet? Who are our main targets for next year? Will we sign a couple of big guys?s

you have to think Koka is gone... smaller role guys that haven't had a sniff of the court like Tylan Pope might look elsewhere. I hope Charlie Russell and RJ McGee decided to stick it out because they both have potential. If I am right about Pope and Koka, then with 4 scholarships, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hunter go after another 3 grad transfers and bring in 1 more freshman signee... especially since 2 of my projected scholarships probably won't open up until after signing day 2.0.

Doc or Randy may know if we are hot on the trail of other high school kids for spring signing day.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:How many kids will we take in the late signing period? We lose Thompson, Thomas, and Lawson. We add guards James and Coleman. With the two additions, we currently sit at 11 scholarships. Is anyone expected to transfer? Will we look to the portal? Has anyone committed yet? Who are our main targets for next year? Will we sign a couple of big guys?s

Lawson technically has another year if he wants it (assuming medical redshirt for his freshman year)
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I cannot imagine Lawson returning; and I cannot imagine Pope leaving...since Pope wasn't eligible this year until mid-terms, I believe 100 percent he is being red-shirted.

mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Post by mandevillewave »

I remember reading or hearing Hunter say he planed to redshirt Pope. He is a big bodied guy who could really help us down low over the next 4 years. Hopefully he has good athleticism for his size.

Someone posted before Lawson is married ( with a child I think ).
More than likely he needs to play professionally some where to earn a pay check.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

update on PG recruit Sion James. James led his Lanier (Ga.) HS team to the state 6A finals (first time ever for that school) with an OT win over a 28-3 opponent (South Cobb I believe). James scored 17 of his 26 pts (also had 11 Rebs) in fourth period and OT alone.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

6-6 SG Andy Barba was offered by Tulane on his visit this past weekend (see randymc previous post) Barba is a great shooter according to reports.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

we need a 6 10+ guy with a sturdy frame to feed down low and guard the rim.. I'm guessing a player like that will have to come from the transfer portal?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:we need a 6 10+ guy with a sturdy frame to feed down low and guard the rim.. I'm guessing a player like that will have to come from the transfer portal?
Listening to Hunter on Allegretta's podcast, he really couldn't be bothered to try to get big guys. He's happy just having a bunch of 6-5 to 6-7 guys.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

gerryb323 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:we need a 6 10+ guy with a sturdy frame to feed down low and guard the rim.. I'm guessing a player like that will have to come from the transfer portal?
Listening to Hunter on Allegretta's podcast, he really couldn't be bothered to try to get big guys. He's happy just having a bunch of 6-5 to 6-7 guys.
I'll take a 6'7" guy who can rebound and defend. Reaching for a stiff won't help us rebound.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
I'll take a 6'7" guy who can rebound and defend. Reaching for a stiff won't help us rebound.
Yep. He said he'd like a bunch of Christian Thompsons
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Listening to Hunter on Allegretta's podcast, he really couldn't be bothered to try to get big guys. He's happy just having a bunch of 6-5 to 6-7 guys.
Which won't work at the AAC level, but what do I know...

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Listening to Hunter on Allegretta's podcast, he really couldn't be bothered to try to get big guys. He's happy just having a bunch of 6-5 to 6-7 guys.
He said other teams seem to play down to our size to match up with the quickness. Also said there aren't many skilled big guys and those that are out there aren't coming here!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
If you have good enough players it’ll work. It’s working in the NBA for the Rockets right now.
Plus 6’7 is plenty big enough to be a good big man. I’d definitely take a David Gomez or even a Robinson Louisme right now.

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I wish we had 5 Christian Thompson's. He plays so hard and is very productive. We got destroyed on the boards all year and our opponents with good big men scored at will inside. There are some teams in our league with really good big men such as Memphis and Tulsa. I can't disagree more about not getting a good center or at the very least a power forward type that is a beast on the boards. We get almost no second chance points which puts us in a hole.

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

No one is suggesting we shouldn’t sign one. I for one only suggested we shouldn’t reach for one. Posting that someone here or that Hunter does not want a 4 or a 5 who would be a “beast on the boards” is false and mildly irresponsible.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

So y'all really think we can win in the AAC against teams with some legit big men, with a bunch of quick, athletic, 6'7 guys? Memphis and Tulsa were mentioned above but need I remind you that it doesn't even take a super-athletic or super-strong or super-huge guy to dominate us inside? Cincinnati has a "solid but serviceable" big man (Vogt) who killed us inside all day (career-high 21 points on 9/11 FG) and we only beat them because their guards fell apart under pressure while still figuring out Brannen's system and playing on the road. They'd beat us 5 out of 5 times now, two months later, and will beat us for as long as Hunter sticks with his plan, as will any other teams in our league who make it a point to have good (not necessarily great) big men. We are simply not going to win the AAC without several decent players who are a reasonable college center height. History is littered with examples of people and plans failing due to absolute stubborn resistance to adapt and change. Hunter saying he doesn't think we can get a good big man and that he just wants good players in the 6'5-6'7 range (which he's said numerous times) is exactly this. It's purposely refusing to adapt (as is his refusal to play anything but his match-up zone, but that's another discussion).
visualmagic wrote:If you have good enough players it’ll work. It’s working in the NBA for the Rockets right now.
How'd that whole "works in the NBA, it will work in college" plan go for Dunleavy? Hint: the combined skill level (and what you therefore can and can't do) of an NBA starting five and that of an AAC team is a HUGE difference. HUGE.