Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by randymc »

Galin Smith, big man transfer from Alabama, is going to Maryland.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane among 13 schools in the early mix with Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year, Johnathan Lawson, 6-7 G/F, four-star player. Memphis, Tulane, Ark., USC, Oregon, Indiana, Syracuse, Alabama, Vandy, Iowa St., Missouri, LSU and Nebraska are mentioned in this article.
https://stockrisers.com/2020/05/12/four ... -hardaway/
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

KJ’s little brother
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Also says he has a brother at Oregon
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Arizona State PF Romello White is transferring to Ole Miss
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

St Johns leading scorer, redshirt JR 6-6 SG L J Figueroa is transferring for his final year of eligibility. This is a big time transfer
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

with the one time transfer rule getting punted until next year (at the earliest) what are the chances of any of our transfers successfully appealing to play this season a la Ibby Ali and Hightower last year?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

doc wrote:St Johns leading scorer, redshirt JR 6-6 SG L J Figueroa is transferring for his final year of eligibility. This is a big time transfer
He also said he hasn't ruled out returning to St. Johns, going to the NBA, or going overseas.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 3* 2021 6-5 200# SF Robbie Armbrester. He is from Atlanta,GA, but is currently attending Wasatch Academy in Utah. He also holds offers from Houston, GA Tech,Xavier, Murray State, Texas A&M, and College of Charleston.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 6-7 220# Wing Daniel Nixon from New York, New York. His recruiting has really taken off. He has offers from Georgetown, Temple, ECU, Penn State, Iona, Lasalle and others.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Trevon Reddish is a 6-5 freshman PG transferring from the College of Charleston. He played sparingly as a freshman. He is from Carrollton, Georgia, and he was offered by HC Hunter at Georgia State while in high school. He was also offered by Temple and Murray State.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 6-5 170# 2022 SF Dorian Finister from George Washington Carver HS in New Orleans, LA.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 2022 6-8 PF Kyran Ratliff from Booker T Washington HS, New Orleans, LA. He has already been offered by Houston and Georgetown.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane also has offered 2023 PG Layden Blocker of Little Rock, Ark., Christian Academy, stockrisers says on Twitter.
https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/202 ... nt-adds-p/
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 2022 6-0 PG Isaiah Foster from Houston Texas.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

While I do not know specific details or how anything will pan out, I can say that the current coaching staff is making an unprecedented effort to reach out to former players. Last week we had a Zoom call with former basketball letterwinners, which was an absolute blast - so good to see many of my former teammates and many older guys who I'd met while player but haven't seen in like 25+ years, as well as to get to speak to the current staff.

Why does this matter on the recruiting board? Because quite a few of the players from the 1990s are now coaches of very successful AAU programs and have some top national players. Tulane coaches had never reached out to them before despite them indicating they'd have been willing to encourage their players to look at Tulane. Personally (my uninformed opinion only) I think a lot of our former coaches were determined to "set their own course" and not feel the influence of "Tulane people". But in avoiding former Tulane players in order to show that they knew how to do it themselves, they did a great disservice in overlooking these guys coaching AAU. Our guys don't think the prior coaching staffs (all post-Perry Clark) even knew any of their names or that they'd played at Tulane. One indicated kids would occasionally get offers from Tulane without the coaches ever even talking to him and finding out he'd played there.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Pete, just another reason why Hunter is going to be successful here or wherever he goes. I’d like to say it’s business development 101 but if it were so apparent everyone would be doing it and we know they are not.

Back in the days of Rolodexes which even predated me, it was said that every week you needed to call a handful of people you haven’t talked to in awhile. Not because you needed or wanted anything, but to keep relationships alive. It may or may not “pay off” in terms of professional or personal referrals but at the very least you will feel better. And I know from experience that a 3rd hand referral helped me more than once in my professional goals.

Hunter is opening up the lines because one never knows where the next help will come from. Plus, he is so damn gregarious that I bet he just enjoys the banter.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

John Kelly, a 6-7 F, from Crescent City Christian, one of the top teams in the state in its smaller school classification (and they play up in class even against 5A clubs with success) says he plans to visit Tulane, Texas and LSU. He is a 2023 recruit.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:21 am While I do not know specific details or how anything will pan out, I can say that the current coaching staff is making an unprecedented effort to reach out to former players. Last week we had a Zoom call with former basketball letterwinners, which was an absolute blast - so good to see many of my former teammates and many older guys who I'd met while player but haven't seen in like 25+ years, as well as to get to speak to the current staff.

Why does this matter on the recruiting board? Because quite a few of the players from the 1990s are now coaches of very successful AAU programs and have some top national players. Tulane coaches had never reached out to them before despite them indicating they'd have been willing to encourage their players to look at Tulane. Personally (my uninformed opinion only) I think a lot of our former coaches were determined to "set their own course" and not feel the influence of "Tulane people". But in avoiding former Tulane players in order to show that they knew how to do it themselves, they did a great disservice in overlooking these guys coaching AAU. Our guys don't think the prior coaching staffs (all post-Perry Clark) even knew any of their names or that they'd played at Tulane. One indicated kids would occasionally get offers from Tulane without the coaches ever even talking to him and finding out he'd played there.

I think Hunter just wanted to rub elbows with a Hall of Famer.

Besides the obvious of wanting Tulane to be successful, it is just hard not like him. He just gets it. It remains to be seen if the match up zone can work in the AAC, but I believe him in more than any basketball coach we have had in a long time.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:41 amI think Hunter just wanted to rub elbows with a Hall of Famer.
Quite a few, actually. From our HOF team we had me, Carlin Hartman, Kim Lewis, Greg Gary, Carter Nichols, and David Whitmore. Johnny Arthurs was on the call too and he's already in the HOF, so that's 7! Three of four more guys would have been on the call but had AAU practice that night at the same time...
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:59 am
NJwave wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:41 amI think Hunter just wanted to rub elbows with a Hall of Famer.
Quite a few, actually. From our HOF team we had me, Carlin Hartman, Kim Lewis, Greg Gary, Carter Nichols, and David Whitmore. Johnny Arthurs was on the call too and he's already in the HOF, so that's 7! Three of four more guys would have been on the call but had AAU practice that night at the same time...
And I'm willing to bet they got calls or notes from Hunter afterwards....
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Washington Huskies Center Bryan Penn-Johnson, 6-10, has entered transfer portal after two years with Washington, one of which was a redshirt year as a frosh after an injury. He'd come in as a redshirt soph at his next landing spot. The big man who was a 3-star coming out of high school was recruited and offered by Tulane and a bunch other schools at the time.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Tulane has offered 2023 6-5 PG Drew Steffefrom Frisco, Texas.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:24 pm Tulane has offered 2023 6-5 PG Drew Steffefrom Frisco, Texas.
Son of Matt Steffe, former star player at Air Force back in my era. The same Matt Steffe who started D1 DFW AAU, a team which has been #1 in the nation (regularly top ten annually) at like the middle school level for quite some time... The other coach of which is... wait for it... Michael Christian, former Tulane guard and teammate of mine. Michael really wanted to be on our call last week but was busy coaching his team's practice that evening.

.... And so it begins... I hope...

At least some services have him 4-star, top 40 in his class. :shock:
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Reaching out to former players, especially those from successful regimes, is always a good signal about a coach. It shows a lot of confidence and open-mindedness.