Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
Coach Level

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by doc »

Recruiting is different now. Kids come in and most want to play a lot right away. Many don’t want to wait their turn.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

article I read yesterday indicates the NCAA board of directors wants to punt the one time no-sit transfer rule until next year, stating how everything is so in flux with this year because of COVID 19... I think that's fair in regard to voting it into a permanent thing.. but there needs to be a special "one year only BECAUSE of COVID 19" waiver for this year and allow kids to play right away in the "sit a year" sports.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

fyi...this was Galin Smith's final 7 when he was getting ready to sign a hoops scholarship out of Clinton MS high school...Galin Smith names final 7: LSU, Alabama, Tulane, Memphis, Kansas State, Ole Miss and UAB (247sports)

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

TUPF wrote:I think this is all good news but here’s a question for all you guys who follow recruiting in depth. At what point does a program need to spend more time on the the old blocking and tackling of recruiting a majority of 4 year (or maybe 3 year if they are that good and leave early) players? Or is this the age of wholesale changes every year, where you keep 2-3 core guys and change the rest each year?

We all know Hunter needed to do something radical inheriting a 4 win team, but is this the new norm?
I think right now we don't have much of a choice but to do it this way. I do worry that the matchup zone takes time to learn and much of perfecting it is based on good communication. Guys were lost finding the open man last year which led to easy looks and we couldn't rebound. Obviously, it is completely up in the air as to practice time and whether the season even starts on time or is played at all.

I believe Murphy is the only player on the team for the upcoming season with only 1 year of eligibility left which bodes well for the future. It does mean that barring more transfers out we won't be doing much from the traditional recruiting sense next year either.

I love what we have done in the way of transfers, but we have to replace almost everybody that contributed last year with the exception of Walker and Days. I actually think Thompson is the guy we will miss the most. He did everything for us and was a clear leader on the team. I'm not sure where that comes from when a junior (Walker) is the most experienced guy coming back.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Hunter has aced the video recruiting course. We'll see if NCAA comes through to make all transfers eligible now or next season (in whatever form it is) will be a developmental one. However a primary rotation of Cross, Watson, James, Murphy, Jancovic, Days, McGee and Walker (or whoever beats any of these folks out like a healthy Ali) could be a very competitive team immediately in AAC even with a steep learning curve of the Hunter system.

On edit: I left Forbes, the Bama transfer out. I'm sure he's looking to crack the lineup too.

I'm guessing Hunter is not finished recruiting. If so, we presumably will see more roster turnover as it appears Tulane is now at 13 schollies plus the PWO (Gold) who announced a few days ago.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Drew Peterson, 6-8 G/F, transferring from Rice said he is no longer gonna go to U of Minnesota and is back on the market looking for a school he can attend and play basketball. Under current rules, Peterson would most likely have to sit out a year (or maybe he could get a waiver to play right away?)

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

randymc wrote:Drew Peterson, 6-8 G/F, transferring from Rice said he is no longer gonna go to U of Minnesota and is back on the market looking for a school he can attend and play basketball. Under current rules, Peterson would most likely have to sit out a year (or maybe he could get a waiver to play right away?)
so, without any waivers.. right now we have 3 transfers that have to sit a year and only 1 who can play right away, correct?

I realize Hunter only plays 8 guys, but unless the one time transfer rule goes through or there is a 1 year COVID waiver, we're going to be pretty thin on the bench with eligible players

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Gabe Watson, Kevin Cross, Jaylen Forbes and O. Jankovic all would have to sit a year unless they get waivers individually or by NCAA blanket action tied to some sort of rule change or COVID sympathy. Ryan Murphy is a grad transfer and can play right away; S. James and J. Coleman are incoming frosh.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

randymc wrote:Gabe Watson, Kevin Cross, Jaylen Forbes and O. Jankovic all would have to sit a year unless they get waivers individually or by NCAA blanket action tied to some sort of rule change or COVID sympathy. Ryan Murphy is a grad transfer and can play right away; S. James and J. Coleman are incoming frosh.
forgot about Forbes.. dang, that's 4 sitting a year if there's no waiver

leaves:
Walker
McGee
Ali
Days
Murphy
Koka
James
Coleman

walk ons
Galic
Zaccardo
Quinn
Callahan-Gold

so one more opening.. need someone who can play right away.. with size!

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

and Tylan Pope will play too; so in order to add 1 more player someone else must depart to make room.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

randymc wrote:and Tylan Pope will play too; so in order to add 1 more player someone else must depart to make room.
thought I put him on that list

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I don’t believe a player should have to sit out if they left because of a coaching change. All 4 transfers played for new coaches last year. While they were not coaching changes for the upcoming season, all the coaches were hired late March/early April, 2019. The freshman would have had to reopen their recruitment at a late date last year and been let out of their Letter of Intents. While Watson played for a new coach last year, he was there the year before. Thus, I don’t think his argument has as much merit.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Zack Crisler is a 6-9 freshman Forward transferring from Rice. He has three years of eligibility left. He played limited minutes this past season. Tulane offered him coming out of high school.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Romello White is a 6-9 240# PF grad transfer from Arizona State University. He averaged 10ppg and 9rbg last season. He is from the Atlanta area and is almost certainly well known to HC Hunter. He is a big-time transfer.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Vanderbilt has emerged as the clear favorite for AZ State transfer Romello White. White played AAU ball for Jerry Stackhouse’s sponsored team.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Dylan Cardwell is a 6-10 225# PF from Georgia in the class of 2020. He is a shot blocker and rebounder. His offensive skills are still developing. He has been under the radar most of this year, but has emerged this spring as he has gotten bigger and stronger. Georgia and LSU have recently offered, and other programs are starting to show considerable interest.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Dylan Cardwell commits to Auburn. That was quick.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Galin Smith, grad transfer F/C from Alabama, tweets that he will release his final 3 possible destinations later on Wed., May 7, in other words later today.

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doc wrote:Dylan Cardwell commits to Auburn. That was quick.
Dylan, we hardly knew ye

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Maryland, VCU and Arizona State are final 3 for Galin Smith, Alabama transfer.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Bo Hodges is a 6-4 200# JR SG transferring out of East Tennessee State University. He averaged 13ppg and 5rbg last year. He may be a grad transfer.

AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

doc wrote:Bo Hodges is a 6-4 200# JR SG transferring out of East Tennessee State University. He averaged 13ppg and 5rbg last year. He may be a grad transfer.
ETSU lost their coach to Wake Forest within the last week; his top assistant was just named his successor yesterday.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Rice transfer, Drew Peterson, is getting interest from Wisconsin.

doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Rice transfer Drew Peterson commits to Southern California.