Basketball Recruiting Info

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Basketball Recruiting Info

Post by NJwave »

doc wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 pm Amari Davis to Missouri was not surprising. Once Counzo Martin got involved, I thought it would go in that direction. He is a left handed slashing guard who is just learning to shoot from the perimeter. He has a lot of upside if he can develop his shot.
Right now we have one open spot. I believe we still have a few open offers to high school kids. Murphy’s brother in California being one who I believe still holds a Tulane offer. There is a guard from Louisiana at Oak Hill we offered a while ago who I think has still not committed anywhere.

Any word on whether Ali will ever play again? He basically has not played but a handful of games in the last 3 years.

I’m sure there will be a few transfers out as well.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

At this point in time, I believe all new scholarship players on the roster next season will be transfers.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

It’s amazing this far removed from playing that no one has entered the portal. Could be the only school in the country where someone does not transfer. The current group of players either love it hear, or on the other hand realize they may not be offered by anyone else.

I am still stunned to see we are only offering guards, or have been mentioned with former guards in the portal. You need size and length to win. If we don’t bring in a couple of athletic bigs, I don’t see how basketball can escape the cellar of the AAC. This is stupid not to spend remaining scholarship(s) on a power forward/center.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

I think its pretty sad we can't recruit locally. look at some of the players from the N.O. area in the dance. Seems like we didnt even try to get them
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

This is a marathon not a sprint. I believe there are many hundreds of transfers still to be announced. The coaching carousel is just beginning. In the AAC for example, I expect USF HC Gregory to be relieved of his duties, and I would not be at all surprised to see Rick Pitino take over there, despite his buyout at Iona being something like 8 million dollars. There is a friend of Pitino at USF that owns a well known restaurant chain that would gladly put up the money. I guess Iona is still better than his last job, coaching in Greece.

Tulane has to win more to attract the better high school seniors. To do that, transfers are the best route. Even schools like Gonzaga are feasting off of transfers now. The recruiting game is changing. Occasionally you may get a local player like Caleb Daniels. Tulane offered the Jarreau and Gresham duo twice, once out of high school and once before the transfer to Houston. LSU and Will Wade are currently being investigated for allegedly paying 11 basketball players including top Louisiana talent Javonte Smart.

I will say it again. The roster needs to be upgraded for Tulane to take the next step up to the middle of the AAC. I think that is very doable, hopefully next season. These things have a way of working themselves out. I for one am staying tuned, watching and waiting.
Last edited by doc on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Doc, I know I speak for many people on here in thanking you for all the reports. Keep them coming and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Hunter gets some bigger players.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Thank you - I am glad to do it. Hoops recruiting has been an obsession of mine for nearly 30 years. Other than the Houston games, Tulane's kids competed well against every other opponent this past season, despite being young and undersized. Watching Oral Roberts, Loyola Chicago, Abilene Christian, and North Texas this past week makes me believe it is possible with the right kids and the right scheme, despite not having top 50 recruits at every position. I did not see the Ohio vs Virginia upset.

Size in the middle is very important, and I hope we have someone there soon. I don't know Ali's medical status. I had heard he was expected back last December, but obviously that did not work out. Besides size in the middle. length on the wings when you play a zone is vital. Watch Syracuse play zone ---- year in and year out, they always have length.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:44 pm This is a marathon not a sprint. I believe there are many hundreds of transfers still to be announced.
I saw a clickbait article where Vitale was talking about the onslaught of transfers and how this year was going to be insane with COVID giving a free transfer pass to everyone... though in the story he says "I heard 800 were already in the portal" which I believe doc has shown not even close... the story also said some were predicting as many as 1200 transfers (again, I doubt this since the number above is way high). I agree though, we haven't begun to see the real numbers we will see transferring this year.

That said, I could also see a scenario where the whole COVID situation and even this year's NCAA results causes players to just stay put because of the overall uncertainty (meaning, there's no telling what schools are actually good and would therefore be a "preferable" destination for a transfer).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

doc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:07 am length on the wings when you play a zone is vital. Watch Syracuse play zone ---- year in and year out, they always have length.
USC just crushed Kansas using a ridiculously long zone defense as well
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

The transfer number as of this morning is nearly 900 D-1 players. If my memory is correct (which is a big “if”), the total number last year was not quite 1,100.

Teams are allotted 13 scholarships and under normal circumstances a few players on each team graduate and are replaced by freshmen and JC’s. If you divide the number of transfers by 357 which is the number of D-1 programs, you get a sense of how massive the change in the college basketball landscape really is at present.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Doc,
Sorry, I misread your earlier posts and thought the total number who had already declared was still < 100.
So I guess Vitale's quotes were correct.
The article was basically saying that Vitale thinks college basketball is being ruined, or it might have used the clickbait term "destroyed", but it was really "as we know it".
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Malik Lagania is a 6-5 180# JR SG who is transferring from Coastal Carolina. As a Sophomore he started 13 games. He is originally from New Orleans, having attended Crescent City HS.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Tre Williams is a 6-5 195# Soph SG transferring from Minnesota. He was offered by Tulane out of high school. He played about 19 minutes per game last season.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Timmy Allen is a talented 6-6 200# JR SF transferring from Utah. Tulane offered him out of high school.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:01 pm Malik Lagania
I look at his name and see what it actually is but every time I visit this thread and scroll past it I see "lasagna". :lol:
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Duke 6-2 GRAD SR PG Jordan Goldwire who Tulane recruited several years before ending up at Duke is entering the transfer portal. He is originally from Norcross, Georgia.
Last edited by doc on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Talented 4* 6-1 190# Sophomore PG Jordan Rawls is transferring from Western Kentucky. HC Hunter recruited him while at Georgia State.
Last edited by doc on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

5-7 165# SR PG Chris Lykes is transferring from Miami (FL). He averaged 15 ppg in 2019-2020 and 16ppg in 2018-2019. He played little last season because of COVID. Tulane recruited him out of high school. He is from Washington DC and Georgetown is rumored to be involved.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Temple SR SF De’Vondre Perry is transferring.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Noah Gurley, I think with two years eligibility left, is leaving Furman. He is 6-8" Forward, and roughly 15 pts and 6 rebs per game player.
He played HS ball in Georgia.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Noah Gurley is an intriguing prospect. He is extremely athletic and really got better as the season went on, and has shown progress each year at Furman. He is from the Atlanta suburbs. He got little recruiting interest out of high school.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Today the number of transfers this year passed last years D-1 total of 1031.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

doc wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:21 pm Today the number of transfers this year passed last years D-1 total of 1031.
Last I checked there are 347 D-1 basketball teams each with 13 scholarship places for a total of 4511 spots. 22.8% of players transferring and counting. :shock:
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Big AAC news - ECU talented PF Jayden Gardner is transferring.
doc
Coach Level

Post by doc »

Talented Furman F Noah Gurley has not listed Tulane among the schools he is hearing from. He did remark he was looking for a school that has “good dining.” Have you heard that HC Hunter?