2021 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
President's Circle

2021 Football Recruiting

Post by tjtlja »

At the half way point of our 2021 class, we have 13 commits. 247 has us with 1 four star and 10 three star recruits. That is good for 71 in the country, and 7th in the conference. Memphis and Cinncy are dominating the conference ratings. Rivals has us with 14 commits, 1 four star, 5 three stars, which puts us 66 nationally and 7th in the conference.

What stands out is the number of quality recruits that Memphis and Arizona have from the state of Louisiana. Especially Memphis since they are starting to separate themselves from the AAC. Fritz cannot let this happen. It is difficult to understand, and only one commit from New Orleans. Why the cold shoulder when we clearly have momentum? I expected us to be top 3 in the league and putting together another strong effort in the city. I don’t see that happening unless we can flip some of these kids. On the positive side, we have never had the success we are having in Mississippi that we are currently having. We could end up with 4-5 top 20 kids in that state. Recruiting is crazy.

Donny Z
President's Circle

Re: 2021 Football Recruiting

Post by Donny Z »

We have 14 commits. 247 hasn’t added Williams yet. If he was added we’d be less than 1 point out of 4th best class in the conference. For whatever reason Ragland (who has a ton of offers) and our new kicker commit (who is ranked 4th in the county by kohl’s kicking) have not been rated yet. Eugene has not been rated until earlier this week. When they’re add we’ll definitely jump into top 4. Due to the lack of camps this year (covid) it’s taking longer for rankings to be updated on some prospects. This is a top 4 possibly top 3 class right now. This is a very good class and is on pace to be as good, or better, than last year. On top of that we have years of history showing Coach Fritz always closes strong. We’ve never been ranked this high this earlier. Just sit back and enjoy the ride because this is going to be an amazing class.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Louisiana Recruiting -

Looking at the TOP 50 players in Louisiana according to 247, the recruiting breaks down as follows -

1. LSU - 2 commits - #4, #7 in state
2. Alabama - 1 commit - #6
3. Miss State - 1 commit - #8
4. Kansas - 1 commit - #9
5. Memphis - 6 commits - #12, #20, #21, #22, #26, #35
6. Fla State - 1 commit - #13
7. Arizona - 4 commits - #14, #32, #34, #37
8. Baylor - 1 commit - #15
9. Stanford - 1 commit - #16
10. Notre Dame - 1 commit - #17
11. Vandy - 1 commit - #18
12. Northwestern - 1 commit - #21 (Memphis also has #21 - i guess there is a tie, even though the number rating doesn't reflect this)
13. LA Tech - 5 commits - #23, #24, #29, #47, #48
14. Texas - 1 commit - #25
15. Arizona State - 1 commit - #27
16. TULANE - 4 commits - #28, #44, #49, #50
17. Arkansas - 1 commit - #30
18. ULL - 3 commits - #36, #38, #45
19. New Mexico State - 1 commit - #42
20. South Alabama - 1 commit - #43

By my count, the following are not committed - players ranked #1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 19, 31, 33, 39, 40, and 41. It appears we have a chance at #'s 33, 39, and 40.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Looking at 247 & Rivals, the following recruits seem very interested in us -

Xavier Franks - WR - MS
Barylre Davenport - DE - Alabama
Keenan Landry - DT - Jennings, LA
Andrew Canelas - OT - VA
Brylan Lanier - CB - Alabama
DeMeric Strong - LB -MS
Maddox Kopp - QB - Houston
Caleb Spann - CB - John Curtis
Lynaris Elpheage - ATH - Carver
Y'Quann Townsend - TE - John Ehret
Elinus Noel III - DT -John Curtis
Tyvoris Cooper - DE - MS
Chandler Pittman - ATH - MS
Da'veawn Armstead - CB - Central, LA
August Banks - ATH - Karr
Breylon Charles - DE - Sophie B. Wright
Dylan Simmons - S - Country Day

Does anyone know where we stand with the kids listed above? Do we take a 3rd QB in this class if Kopp wants to come? Are there any players that should be added to the list?
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

Davenport is from Chickasaw, AL while Keenan Landry is from Jennings

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Billow, thanks

Any info on recruits? Any observations?

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Where does Elijah Champaigne fit into this year's class (assuming he still does)?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Champaigne is still expected to sign in December.

As far as needs go from where we are I’d add one more receiver, one more OL, one Joker (edge guy), one DL (any slot), one ILB, one more DB (any slot).
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Memphis is a problem...5 recruits ranked ahead of our top rated in state?

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Memphis also just got an LSU transfer qb

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm not bothered by Memphis doing well nearby. We're doing okay in Tennessee. Also, we did just fine in local recruiting the class before. This staff doesn't put it's eggs in one basket.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'll say the obvious. Memphis and Tulane aren't necessarily recruiting the same players. Also as LG noted, we're working Tennessee productively. I do hope the Memphis recruits thrive (except for one game per year!) because it helps the conference.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We are recruiting Mississippi better than we ever have. Far better than TN.

And both Memphis and Arizona are problems in LA. Ask the coaches.

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:03 pm
I'll say the obvious. Memphis and Tulane aren't necessarily recruiting the same players. Also as LG noted, we're working Tennessee productively. I do hope the Memphis recruits thrive (except for one game per year!) because it helps the conference.
Clearly we're not recruiting the same players, as they have 5 commits ranked higher than our highest. That's the whole issue. We'd be turning cartwheels if we had 6 of the top 35 in state...when was the last time that happened? And while it's nice, I wouldn't call getting the #25 and #35 ranked players in TN (a state that historically has less talent than LA) any kind of tradeoff. Memphis has commits from the #s 18, 27, and 33 players in TN, so it's not like we're beating them there either.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Look at LA Tech’s haul from LA. It just doesn’t make any sense after two consecutive bowl wins. What is causing the cold shoulder treatment?

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I’m so glad you mentioned Tech. You see that and ask “why the cold shoulder treatment?” I look at the prominence of Tech and Memphis among those ranked players and ask “what’s up with 247?”

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Something wrong with Rivals too I guess. Top 40 LA commits: Memphis 4, La Tech 3, Tulane 2.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

If you are questioning 247, then you really must be questioning our class. Three stars are thrown around by 247 as the patented two star is thrown around on Rivals. You look at some of our guys and you must wonder how 247 ranks them as a three star when looking at the schools offering them. Results is the bottom line, and Memphis has made a huge leap on the field, coupled with recruiting in roads in LA. Same can be said for Arizona and LA Tech as far as recruiting goes in LA.

Our recruiting class will hinge on what we do in Mississippi. We have something building with the coaches in that State. Our coaches were smart enough to look elsewhere - quickly. Nevertheless, Memphis, a conference member, should not be out recruiting us in LA by a huge margin. Something is wrong, and WF needs to fix it.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

I have no idea if this is the case but when I hear about LA Tech outrecruiting us in the state, my first thought is academic limitations (as in, we have them and they don't).

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Grades could be an issue on a couple of kids. What I don’t understand is Memphis. Pete, you have been there - it is a not good school.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:55 pm
What I don’t understand is Memphis. Pete, you have been there - it is a not good school.
Memphis is easy to understand. 10-3, 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 8-6, 12-2. Six straight bowls (including a NY6 last year) and three straight AAC West titles. Former BCS member who has maintained at least one good program (either football or basketball) since and thus has perception by most national pundits as one of the top 3 or 4 G5 programs and an almost shoo-in to get promoted if the P5s expand. If anyone looks under the hood they see some of the bad we see, but the national media doesn't, and recruits only care what the national media says.

Moreover, Tulane is viewed as a school full of rich white Yankees, and I'm sure that's a huge angle for outside (but still southern) schools when recruiting in Louisiana.

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 am
tjtlja wrote:
What I don’t understand is Memphis. Pete, you have been there - it is a not good school.
Memphis is easy to understand. 10-3, 9-4, 8-5, 10-3, 8-6, 12-2. Six straight bowls (including a NY6 last year) and three straight AAC West titles. Former BCS member who has maintained at least one good program (either football or basketball) since and thus has perception by most national pundits as one of the top 3 or 4 G5 programs and an almost shoo-in to get promoted if the P5s expand. If anyone looks under the hood they see some of the bad we see, but the national media doesn't, and recruits only care what the national media says.

Moreover, Tulane is viewed as a school full of rich white Yankees, and I'm sure that's a huge angle for outside (but still southern) schools when recruiting in Louisiana.
Has Memphis been in a BCS league? They missed the Big East I think
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

memphis looked like they were on a different level talent wise last year. of course, we looked like we were on a different talent level the year before. However, Memphis was really good. Penn State could not stop their offense in their bowl game.

Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Quit with the academic BS. The problem is really simple. Need more local coaches who have contacts. Imagine if we still had a Lionel Washington recruitiing the River Parishes. Could also get Jerry Phillips in here to recruit- Local HS coach who went to Tulane.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:55 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 am
tjtlja wrote:

Has Memphis been in a BCS league? They missed the Big East I think
My bad, I was thinking they'd gotten one year in the Big East... Google tells me they were in fact invited (earlier than Tulane) but never got that year. UCF, Houston, SMU, Boise State and SD State all had the same fate. Anyway... No denying their success as a reason for their recruiting.