Billy Wiles reports two different kinds of offer

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Billy Wiles reports two different kinds of offer

Post by gerryb323 »

GSx wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:01 am After this year, Pratt shouldn’t scare anybody off. Next year you can tell a quarterback that you can redshirt a year, and then be on the active roster when Pratt is a senior and then he’ll have three years to be the guy.
Presuming Ibieta is a capable quarterback, which I understand he is, we should be OK
Pratt still has 4 years, so maybe 2 years from now? Or is that the class you're talking about?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am
GSx wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:01 am After this year, Pratt shouldn’t scare anybody off. Next year you can tell a quarterback that you can redshirt a year, and then be on the active roster when Pratt is a senior and then he’ll have three years to be the guy.
Presuming Ibieta is a capable quarterback, which I understand he is, we should be OK
Pratt still has 4 years, so maybe 2 years from now? Or is that the class you're talking about?
I think he was assuming that Pratt won't use the free year due to COVID. But if he does, you are correct... and the next two years sans QB sniffs would freak out a lot of people here... 8)
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He means next class, signing next December and Feb. '22. Should have no problem finding interested candidates.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:31 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 am All is well gentlemen. We're holding steady and waiting for Arch to graduate Newman.
The odds that Arch Manning ends up at anything other than an SEC school are about 100,000,000,000,000,000:1.
I can't count that high....is it a googol?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 am All is well gentlemen. We're holding steady and waiting for Arch to graduate Newman.
The odds that Arch Manning ends up at anything other than an SEC school are about 100,000,000,000,000,000:1.
You could almost put those odds on him being at Ole Miss, but he could follow his Uncle’s footsteps to Tennessee. I don’t think the Manning’s care for the school upriver too much so they are likely out of the race.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I suspect his recruitment will be of the level where schools will hire coaches just because they think those coaches can bring him in.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:47 am
I can't count that high....is it a googol?
Way, way less than a googol. Say 10 to the 83rd power less.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:11 pm I suspect his recruitment will be of the level where schools will hire coaches just because they think those coaches can bring him in.
Cue David Cutcliffe...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 pm
ml wave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:29 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:12 pm ODU didn’t play this year so I don’t know what their depth chart looks like vs running the dummy O in practice at Clemson with the potential for one of the 5 star recruit QBs in front of him earning a championship ring for the team, including him. Or come here and potentially start in 3 years.
"Potentially start in 3 years" isn't really that much different than "running the dummy O in practice" if you think about it.
Would you rather run the dummy O for for 4 years or have a chance to start for 1 or 2 of them?
Sorry, if you want to play then "wait 3 years and hope that you don't get recruited over" isn't much of a pitch.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I don't think Cutcliffe will be coaching too much longer. Duke is 12-30 in the ACC over the last 5 years.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:46 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:11 pm I suspect his recruitment will be of the level where schools will hire coaches just because they think those coaches can bring him in.
Cue David Cutcliffe...
Crossed my mind... 8) Who was the OC at Ole Miss when Cooper was recruited? The head coach at the time (Brewer) is deceased...
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:30 am
You could almost put those odds on him being at Ole Miss, but he could follow his Uncle’s footsteps to Tennessee. I don’t think the Manning’s care for the school upriver too much so they are likely out of the race.
I'd think he wants a Natty. Something his uncles hadn't achieved. Clemson or Bama.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wiles officially signs with Clemson as a PWO
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

waverider wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 pm Wiles officially signs with Clemson as a PWO
I just can't think of his angle. Clemson has an entrenched starter for the next two years in Uiagalalei, signed a QB to a full ride in this class, and will certainly be out to find Uiagalalei's replacement in 2021 (they're favored to get the current #2 dual threat in that class).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Billy got hurt a lot by the pandemic. His school didn’t play and any offers that he could’ve generated as a senior never materialized. He also lost out on several opportunities in the FCS ranks by committing to Tulane (spots filled up). He got an offer from Old Dominion (who also didn’t play) off his 7 on 7 video he posted on Twitter. Hall had 2 QBs lined up at USM already so that wasn’t a possibility. Tulane’s interest in him dimmed a lot with no film this year. We would’ve probably signed him to fill a need but I doubt he would’ve played. I think he just chose the experience of being on a contender and probably not ever playing a meaningful snap versus playing at a lower level. If he wants to coach eventually, this was probably a good move.
This one belongs to the Wave.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU23 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:59 am Billy got hurt a lot by the pandemic. His school didn’t play and any offers that he could’ve generated as a senior never materialized. He also lost out on several opportunities in the FCS ranks by committing to Tulane (spots filled up). He got an offer from Old Dominion (who also didn’t play) off his 7 on 7 video he posted on Twitter. Hall had 2 QBs lined up at USM already so that wasn’t a possibility. Tulane’s interest in him dimmed a lot with no film this year. We would’ve probably signed him to fill a need but I doubt he would’ve played. I think he just chose the experience of being on a contender and probably not ever playing a meaningful snap versus playing at a lower level. If he wants to coach eventually, this was probably a good move.
If he sticks it out and his family can pay for it, there's a legit chance that in those four years he'll get a big fat ring for his efforts. Or at least some ridiculous swag bags from high-level bowl game participation (PS5, Beats headphones, all the goodies).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

in re education quality, he's going to a top 75 school... HOWEVER, paying out of state tuition at Clemson isn't going to be cheap... I will wager he's hoping to earn a scholarship at some point... but if Tulane had stayed true on its offer, that's a virtually free education versus paying over 200K.

I find it mildly hilarious that the valedictorians at Dorian Williams' HS generally go to Clemson (or a lower ranked school) and here is a "jock" going to a higher ranked educational institute than the top kid in his class and previous classes.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 amI find it mildly hilarious that the valedictorians at Dorian Williams' HS generally go to Clemson (or a lower ranked school) and here is a "jock" going to a higher ranked educational institute than the top kid in his class and previous classes.
Yeah, it's almost like we should be selling that concept to these kids or something...

Seriously though, it's not really funny, it's more a shame that the kids can't see this.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:46 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 amI find it mildly hilarious that the valedictorians at Dorian Williams' HS generally go to Clemson (or a lower ranked school) and here is a "jock" going to a higher ranked educational institute than the top kid in his class and previous classes.
Yeah, it's almost like we should be selling that concept to these kids or something...

Seriously though, it's not really funny, it's more a shame that the kids can't see this.
We see it but for a kid who comes from a family where no one has ever gone to college it's all a muddle. There is no shared family memory of what to do, where to go, who to turn to. You don't know what you don't know and are easily swayed through peer pressure not to finish high school, or go to a particular college for the flimsiest of reasons.

I volunteer at the local high school and mentor a bunch of at risk freshmen and sophomores and most have never seen a family member get a high school diploma much less attend college. It may be different in your local high schools but I find most guidance counselors are retired on the job, next to useless, and the kids they engage are the kids who self select and already know what their paths should be. Counselors literally just help out with applications but as for guidance, not much.

Education begets education. It is difficult to get that first in a generation kid to start with hopefully some kindly and non-self serving advice. Once a parent, a family member, mentor, or friend paves the way it's a whole lot less overwhelming.
Last edited by TUPF on Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:22 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:46 pm

We see it but for a kid who comes from a family where no one has ever gone to college I know firsthand how it's all a muddle. There is no shared family memory of what to do, where to go, who to turn to. You don't know what you don't know and are easily swayed through peer pressure not to finish high school, or go to a particular college for the flimsiest of reasons.

I volunteer at the local high school and mentor a bunch of at risk freshmen and sophomores and most have never seen a family member get a high school diploma much less attend college. It may be different in your local high schools but I find most guidance counselors are retired on the job, next to useless, and the kids they engage are the kids who self select and already know what their paths should be. Counselors literally just help out with applications but as for guidance, not much.

Education begets education. It is difficult to get that first in a generation kid to start with hopefully some kindly and non-self serving advice. Once a parent, a family member, mentor, or friend paves the way it's a whole lot less overwhelming.
Thanks for taking the time to do that for those young students.
We deserve so much better