Spring Football 2017

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Spring Football 2017

Post by waverider »

There's an employee at Tulane who criticized the lack of sports information coming out of Tulane and offered to help in her spare time with getting info out to the media. She was told "no thank you". This person worked in the media before and understands the business.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Letting employees in other parts of Tulane do that kind of thing, particularly after they have been critical, may not be the best idea. You want control of message.

The problem is internal. Either 1) what they want, isn't what we think they should do OR 2) they are understaffed

If it's #1, extra "help" isn't going to fix it. If it's #2, then we need to hire another person, and if we can't afford that, that says we have bigger problems than we think.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I honestly thought that Tulane's media relations dysfunction was a Rick Dickson thing, but I guess its cultural. We sure don't have crackerjack "Beat Writers" right now and instead of making it as easy as possible for them to get Tulane sports news out there.............we make it as hard as we can. Which seems silly on our part.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I don't think she expressed criticism to anyone at Tulane (it was expressed to fans that had the same complaint). It was more of an offer to help in that area. Perhaps the offer to help was taken as being critical of the job they were doing. Regardless, they expressed that they didn't need her help.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Tulane's media dysfunction (and general athletic department internal dysfunction) has sadly persisted much longer than Rick Dickson. It was there in my day.

That said, being competent in media relations should be much easier now, too. In those days there were hand typed letters sent to outlets, either by snail mail or fax, and individual phone calls to let media know of events like press conferences. Now a couple of clicks and you've notified dozens, if not hundreds of thousands, with the same amount of effort. Granted there is a much higher level of expectation from society today to be informed about everything instantly and in a dozen different methods... But it's still way less legwork.

The curious part is that the TD era started with complete transparent communication in everything and it's since withered into virtually nothing.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

FWIW athletics told me season ticket renewals for football will be at least (maybe more) 1 month late this year because of moving to a new system and problems they've been having. Those things happen, but they seem to happen to us more than average
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Tulane OL Hunter Knighton 'very fortunate' for second chance with Green Wave

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

very little out there so I take what I can. I don't know why but I feel like Hunter will be starting at some point.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GreenieBacker wrote:I don't know why but I feel like Hunter will be starting at some point.
Because you've watched our O line the past 8 years?
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Will Guillory tweeted today that he was impressed with both Stephon Huderson & Corey Dauphine.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Any word (guess?) if Tulane keeps practicing in morning next fall? Very few teams have done/do this (is Arizona still one of them?) but WF seemed to be locked into it after CJ based on players' class schedules.

I'm agnostic on it other than I think it's harder on the team's potential night owls which I assume is a good thing.

Argument against it will always boil down to who likes to get up at 5am?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

nice report on spring practice on the official site... CWF is thrilled with the progress from year 1 to year 2.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Man, the silence coming out of our practices (I'm assuming we're still having practices) is deafening. Meanwhile stories (with photos1) of what LSU is up to are on every day.

For a program that desperately needs to reconnect with fans and generate some noise, these closed practices are a big mistake.

<end of rant>
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:Man, the silence coming out of our practices (I'm assuming we're still having practices) is deafening. Meanwhile stories (with photos1) of what LSU is up to are on every day.

For a program that desperately needs to reconnect with fans and generate some noise, these closed practices are a big mistake.

<end of rant>
Best way to reconnect. Win some frick games.

<start pink>
If a Trumpian sized wall of silence gets us over the border to the promised land of bowling I'm all for it. I expect the best this year. Huge improvements. I expect Tulane football to be great again. <end pink>
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:Man, the silence coming out of our practices (I'm assuming we're still having practices) is deafening. Meanwhile stories (with photos1) of what LSU is up to are on every day.

<end of rant>
This was an unfortunate post. There is no silence coming out of our practices because we have not been practicing for several days now. Tulane is on Spring Break. Spring practice will pick back up by the end of the week, I'm guessing. Keep your powder dry or, better yet, ask someone before you rant again.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I'm sure the world will keep turning, even after one of my rants :lol:

so I'll look forward to the blizzard of stories that will inundate us after practices start up again.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

there certainly hasn't been enough news to suit me but I have been pleased to hear the following things:

- that the mid-termers all look like helping this year. Huderson could give us a fifth back in the 2017 rotation though he might wind up higher in the pecking order than fifth. Last year we got through the year with four. That's thin in a run-heavy offense; we put two backs on the field a lot of the time. I'll also be very keen to see how Darius Bradwell looks as the new bruiser between the tackles. Guerry Smith said that Louisville offered him as a running back.

- that Corey Dauphine looks good. We still need a couple of RB's in the next class but if we don't have to rely on a new guy to make a big impact in 2018 that would be great.

- that Keyshawn McLeod has been mentioned as a contender for serious playing time. He played out of position last year at center, now he's playing his natural position of OT. He doesn't have to turn into an all-AAC player this year, becoming a backup OT that the coaches can trust to hold his own on the field will be enough for 2017. That could give us 8 such OL's coming out of spring, which is more than we had this time last year. If just one of the incoming freshmen can do what Tyler Johnson did for us last year we'll be in okay shape.

- that Willie Fritz says Braynon Edwards has continued to lose a lot of weight. Coach Fritz said Edwards "looks like a different guy." If Braynon could give us something like what Corey Redwine gave us two years ago that would really help the DL.

I was also encouraged to see Jacob Robertson's name atop the depth chart at the X position (that usually means split end). If he's ready to take on a big load of PT that will make a difference going into the fall. Encalade is a proven solid player and Mooney should make a move in Year Two; two more good guys in Robertson and Clewis (we have others, too) will put us well ahead of last year at WR, too.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

All of that which lg mentions and the other bits that Fritz mentions all sound good. But I really want to hear that Banks (or someone?) looks good at QB - like something from WF implying, if not outright saying, that the offense is going to function a million times better this year because we have a QB who is a great fit and can do everything needed. I kinda get that impression from WF's general tone in the article linked above, but there is no specific mention of QB play. If I hear that, I'll feel a lot better about the upcoming season.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Find me anyone saying the QB's actually look bad and I'll feel worse. Glen is limited but experienced, Brantley is experienced, a good runner, and we'll see if he can throw with a healthy shoulder, and those who have seen Banks this spring testify that he is an explosive runner. "Looks good at QB?" I'll take AAC league average, thank you very much. We'd have gone bowling easily with that level of QB-ing.

Fritz has said that he'd like to name a starter as early as he can. I think in fact that he'd like to avoid alienating his most experienced guy by telling him he's been replaced. We already know that at worst someone other than Glen is going to play a lot early, but his experience will make him a valuable backup if he is beaten out like most expect (and most hope).
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

WF has said (and I'm paraphrasing) that Banks has looked very good when he recognizes the play he's supposed to run, but is tentative and prone to mistakes when he's confused. Which tells me the key to how well Banks can do this year ties directly on how quickly he gets comfortable with the playbook. And I still wouldn't count out Brantley, I think he has the skill set we need and he probably knows the offense pretty well by now, it'll be interesting to see how he performs now that he's healthy.

It also looks like outside of Diaz and Leglue, the OL starting spots are still up for grabs.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:
Fritz has said that he'd like to name a starter as early as he can. I think in fact that he'd like to avoid alienating his most experienced guy by telling him he's been replaced. We already know that at worst someone other than Glen is going to play a lot early, but his experience will make him a valuable backup if he is beaten out like most expect (and most hope).
This. And saying what Pete wants him to say, even if it's true (don't know if it is), would be counterproductive.

That said, don't we all remember negative grumbling coming out about QB play this time last year? We all tried to not focus on them and hope for the best. This year, no such rumblings. Silence. Only heard positive (just not as positive as Peye wants)
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:It also looks like outside of Diaz and Leglue, the OL starting spots are still up for grabs.
we have two guys who have started multiple games competing for two of the three "vacant" spots on the OL. I think a full offseason is going to do Tyler Johnson a world of good. I also have high hopes for John Washington who played a lot as a sixth OL/TE last year. He's starting to bulk up again. I think he's going to win Chris Taylor's spot at LG.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

How has Banks looked as a passer? Is he accurate? Arm strength? Reading defenses? Any news other than he can run?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

he's looked great as a passer when he recognizes the right play to run. When confused his passes look tentative/prone to interception. The key for him seems getting comfortable/understanding this offense and what he's supposed to do.