Asst. HC Atkins staying at Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Asst. HC Atkins staying at Tulane

Unread post by SomeBiz »

Really not big on citing rumors, but this one caught my attention this afternoon:

https://twitter.com/Nick_Burgess/status ... 5042017282

It reminded me of another tweet that I can't find now about New Mexico Offensive Coordinator Bob DeBesse being cut loose. Someone predicted DeBesse would end up at Tulane. Dismissed it at the time because there wasn't any opening at his level with the Wave. If the tweet above is correct, DeBesse may indeed be a candidate at Tulane. DeBesse was HC Willie Fritz's offensive coordinator at Sam Houston State, 2010-2011.
Last edited by SomeBiz on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane class of '79
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Report: Asst. HC Atkins returning to Georgia Southern

Unread post by long green »

As far as I can find out, DeBesse has not coached OL in his career. If Atkins leaves - I wish he'd stay, but I'm confident Fritz will find a good replacement - he leaves a very specific hole that has to be filled.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

The question is has Ruse coached the OL before?
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

"Fritz wanted the SMU job"

news to me. Still bitter over there I see.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Who the hell is Nick Burgess?!

Fritz wanted the SMU job?! Huh?

Losing Atkins is a tough blow, I kind of liked his attitude. But why would you go back to GSU to be OL coach when you're the Asst HC and OL in a better conference?

Some things just cannot be explained.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Adkins would be the OC (no OL) at Ga Southern if he took the job. So moving from position coach to coordinator.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Donny Z wrote:Adkins would be the OC (no OL) at Ga Southern if he took the job. So moving from position coach to coordinator.
Ah, I see that. Makes more sense, then. Hopefully, we can fill AA's spot with a good OL coach. Congrats to AA.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Donny Z wrote:Adkins would be the OC (no OL) at Ga Southern if he took the job. So moving from position coach to coordinator.
Indeed.
I thought he did an excellent job here, but it's a promotion
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I really, really liked Atkins but you can't fault him for taking this opportunity another big step toward a HC job one day.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:"Fritz wanted the SMU job"

news to me. Still bitter over there I see.
You're letting him off easy. He said "Fritz wanted the SMU job. You know how he is."
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

I thought our OL made palpable improvement, without a palpable influx of talent. Atkins can coach and will be tough to replace....OL coach hasn't exactly been a strength at Tulane over the years. Remember CJ's OL coach....
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Yes. Anyone who says we didn't improve should go look at the first half of the OU game. And in general most every game. Held their own for the most part. Big loss, but WF has been in the business for a long time. If he doesn't know a good OL coach, no one will.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

This may be premature anyway...anyone but Georgia Southern fans report this.

As an aside, this staff should be a raise this year. We need to show the love before they are in play (which they will be next year). They've done a great job building a foundation for this program.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Unread post by SomeBiz »

Rotorooter wrote:Who the hell is Nick Burgess?!

Losing Atkins is a tough blow, I kind of liked his attitude. But why would you go back to GSU to be OL coach when you're the Asst HC and OL in a better conference?

Burgess covers Georgia Southern and the Sun Belt. I noticed he took down the original tweet cited to start this thread. He was questioning his own information earlier this evening since no announcement was made today. My radar says there's definitely smoke there.

A more recent tweet:

https://twitter.com/Nick_Burgess/status ... 0884283392

Which I'm repeating here in case it, too, disappears:

"The December 20-22 is making this coaching search a bit more tricky than in years past. Frayed relationship between TK and Fritz could be a factor as well. Be patient Eagle Nation. Everything will unfold as it should. We'll be back real soon."

TK is a reference to Georgia Southern AD Tom Kleinlein.

After doing some more Twitter mining, I found this rumor has been kicking around for almost a week. Personnel issues are hell, but I hope we're able to hold the team that Fritz wants as well. The improvement was significant this year and the program's future hasn't looked this good in a long time.
Tulane class of '79
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

SomeBiz wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Who the hell is Nick Burgess?!

Burgess covers Georgia Southern and the Sun Belt. I noticed he took down the original tweet cited to start this thread. He was questioning his own information earlier this evening since no announcement was made today. My radar says there's definitely smoke there.

A more recent tweet:

https://twitter.com/Nick_Burgess/status ... 0884283392

Which I'm repeating here in case it, too, disappears:

"The December 20-22 is making this coaching search a bit more tricky than in years past. Frayed relationship between TK and Fritz could be a factor as well. Be patient Eagle Nation. Everything will unfold as it should. We'll be back real soon."

TK is a reference to Georgia Southern AD Tom Kleinlein.

After doing some more Twitter mining, I found this rumor has been kicking around for almost a week. Personnel issues are hell, but I hope we're able to hold the team that Fritz wants as well. The improvement was significant this year and the program's future hasn't looked this good in a long time.
I wonder if there's a money issue. OC is a promotion, so I could understand him leaving, but maybe CWF has chiseled out the money to keep him in a lower role (which would mean probably raises for the OC, at least, too)? Pure guesswork, but Ga Southern has burned themselves by being cheap in the very recent past....
long green
Cornerstone

Personel issues aren't hell, they're just part of the business.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

GretnaGrn wrote: I wonder if there's a money issue. OC is a promotion, so I could understand him leaving, but maybe CWF has chiseled out the money to keep him in a lower role (which would mean probably raises for the OC, at least, too)? Pure guesswork, but Ga Southern has burned themselves by being cheap in the very recent past....
TD should be carving out raises for the entire staff. They've done a great job building this program from the inside.

If Ga So offers him OC, it's hard to turn down.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

So is Atkins leaving or not? And is Fritz going too? I am confused by that tweet about negotiations with "TK".

I am not sold about the flirtations with SMU, but whatever, he came here because of money and SMU has deep pockets, he has roots in Texas. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

I hope that Dannen has a good lead list as most decent ADs in this country tend to have.
long green
Cornerstone

It has happened. SMU made their hire.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

yes, I know! the La Tech guy.

But Fritz was in Texas very recently, so it is plausible he was on their list too.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

DrHullabaloo wrote:So is Atkins leaving or not? And is Fritz going too? I am confused by that tweet about negotiations with "TK".

I am not sold about the flirtations with SMU, but whatever, he came here because of money and SMU has deep pockets, he has roots in Texas. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

I hope that Dannen has a good lead list as most decent ADs in this country tend to have.
Fritz didn't come here for money, he came for stability. He was offered a 6 year deal at Tulane as opposed to a 1 year deal with Ga Southern.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Fritz is not and never would consider going back to GSU. Ain’t happening. The quote that is confusing Dr H has to do w/ the OL coach. My guess is that the twitter dude thinks that the announcement is on hold until after the early signing date per Fritz’s request but the GSU AD may mix the offer cause he doesn’t want to wait and none of this is helped by the bad blood between fritz and their AD

I know nothing about the SMU rumor except to say if it were a real rumor we wouldn’t ONLY be hearing it from a GSU guy
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

FWIW, Fritz in his presser today said he thought he would have no turnover in his staff. Who knows?
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:FWIW, Fritz in his presser today said he thought he would have no turnover in his staff. Who knows?
I'll side with CWF - as to his thoughts. Looking forward to this weekend and if it's anything like this past weekend - helll yeah! Roll Wave.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Georgia Southern hired New Mexico's former OC. Atkins is staying.
This one belongs to the Wave.