LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Post by visualmagic »

TUPF wrote:Southern: I attended one of our final games in the Superdome and seem to recall their fans represented very well, if not out and out outnumbering us. Great band too.

RPI didn’t matter much in those days. Maybe going forward.
We’re talking baseball here. Southern isn’t bringing the band to the baseball stadium and they have no baseball fans. RPI does matter, very much so.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:Sorry but Rice isn't what it was. So we're talking midweek baseball. The pickings are slim if we are going to have a real conversation. There's no way to replace LSU mid-week.
Of coarse there is no replacing LSU, but that wasn't part of the equation.

The only way to stop incremental shafting is to stand your ground and force them respect you or walk. Sometimes that means them walking. It has an effect on how others will treat you. We don't want to become a doormat for SEC teams.

WHy not replace it with 1 for 1 with South Alabama.

With the WPC we are only losing one game. Replace it with Southern at home. So the result would be two games in NOLA and none in BR. Who gets the shaft now?
Us because Southern draws zero fans and they are terrible for RPI purposes
No shiitake samurai. You want to sit by LSU fans let them tell you how you bowed down to them and should be thankful they play at our little stadium. Afterwards you thank them graciously for giving us our only sellout and helping our RPI.

Winning will take care of our RPI. Winning will take care of attendance. Yes, not playing LSU sucks, but cowering is just pathetic.
No shiit? You’re the guy that asked the bad question, I just answered it.

There was no cowering necessary. Make the common sense decision to put the game on TV and the series would have probably continued the way it had been.

Winning would be nice but I’m not sure the guy Dannen hired is capable of that.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

This should be the key year, for baseball. New pitching coach, which a lot of people were blaming (fair, or not fair), and his 3rd recruiting class.

We had multiple guys drafted, so we have talent, it’s just getting the talent to develop, to the maximum ability, day in and day out. We played well at times last year, but then just absolutely bomb.

We get some injured pitching back this year, so hopefully that will be a position of strength this year.

Losing 2 LSU games sucks, RPI wise. It won’t even be a blip for LSU, as the tilted RPI for being in the SEC will cover any drop the get with replacing us. It sucks, but we have to move on.

I also have to say - if you are in, or near, New Orleans, come by Let’s Talk Football - at Boomtown, this Thursday. Troy and Fritz willl be there, and are accessible.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
Winning will take care of our RPI. Winning will take care of attendance. Yes, not playing LSU sucks, but cowering is just pathetic.
What a novel concept too bad there are people here who are too obtuse or agenda driven to acknowledge that.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

noladave wrote:, RPI wise. It won’t even be a blip for LSU.
Their RPI got smoked this year when they lost to us
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:Sorry but Rice isn't what it was. So we're talking midweek baseball. The pickings are slim if we are going to have a real conversation. There's no way to replace LSU mid-week.

The only way to stop incremental shafting is to stand your ground and force them respect you or walk. Sometimes that means them walking. It has an effect on how others will treat you. We don't want to become a doormat for SEC teams.

With the WPC we are only losing one game. Replace it with Southern at home. So the result would be two games in NOLA and none in BR. Who gets the shaft now?
No shiitake samurai. You want to sit by LSU fans let them tell you how you bowed down to them and should be thankful they play at our little stadium. Afterwards you thank them graciously for giving us our only sellout and helping our RPI.

There was no cowering necessary. Make the common sense decision to put the game on TV and the series would have probably continued the way it had been.

[Redacted]
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
What a novel concept too bad there are people here who are too obtuse or agenda driven to acknowledge that.
I think we all acknowledge that. I also acknowledge that I just witnessed two of the worst baseball seasons in school history, so I’m not exactly confident that the winning is coming soon.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

[Redacted]
Too scared to say what you want to say?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I think we all acknowledge that. I also acknowledge that I just witnessed two of the worst baseball seasons in school history, so I’m not exactly confident that the winning is coming soon.
Which is immaterial to LSU nixing the series
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

[Redacted]
Too scared to say what you want to say?
No but I've been led to believe eviscerating (using big words is not a personal attack) people's positions may constitute a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

There's no shame in being the one to let the back-and-forth just stop.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Roller wrote:There's no shame in being the one to let the back-and-forth just stop.
You’re right Roller. I’ll be the bigger man here.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Winning doesn't take care of RPI, winning makes RPI exponentially more important as you are, ideally, fighting for regionals/hosting/seeding. When you're not winning, RPI is irrelevant (see baseball for the last two seasons or basketball for the last ~20).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:Southern: I attended one of our final games in the Superdome and seem to recall their fans represented very well, if not out and out outnumbering us. Great band too.

We’re talking baseball here. Southern isn’t bringing the band to the baseball stadium and they have no baseball fans. RPI does matter, very much so.
My apologies. This poop storm has gone on so long that I forgot what we were talking about. :angel:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

My apologies. This poop storm has gone on so long that I forgot what we were talking about. :angel:
If only there were a title or something that could clear up this kind of confusion... :-)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

If only there were a title or something that could clear up this kind of confusion... :-)
Yeah, you’d think. Eleven page diatribes usually stay on topic.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Well we did veer off into a discussion about Bread Pudding in there somewhere. Which I thought was the most illuminating part of this whole topic :lol:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Having LSU, which tradititionally has kept a top 20 RPI, twice on the schedule, was a very good boost to our RPI. Had we been on the bubble, it could make the difference of getting in, or being out, of the NCAA field.

If we end up playing 2 teams in the 150 - 300 RPI range, then they are absolutely must win games, you can’t slip up. We have enough of those teams already.

Once the announce the schedule, we will have a more informed reason to be “the sky is falling” or “it’s not THAT bad” or “great job”. I know where my bet is.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

noladave wrote:Having LSU, which tradititionally has kept a top 20 RPI, twice on the schedule, was a very good boost to our RPI. Had we been on the bubble, it could make the difference of getting in, or being out, of the NCAA field.

If we end up playing 2 teams in the 150 - 300 RPI range, then they are absolutely must win games, you can’t slip up. We have enough of those teams already.

Once the announce the schedule, we will have a more informed reason to be “the sky is falling” or “it’s not THAT bad” or “great job”. I know where my bet is.
The last two seasons are evidence that we can put together a very good schedule even without LSU.
What we can’t replace is the crowd it brought. You can suggest whatever opponent you want, essentially all of our sellout crowds have been against LSU.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

noladave wrote:Having LSU, which tradititionally has kept a top 20 RPI, twice on the schedule, was a very good boost to our RPI. Had we been on the bubble, it could make the difference of getting in, or being out, of the NCAA field.

RPI is about "who you play," as much (or more) as winning the games. You can win against a very week team and actually have your RPI go down. Likewise, the loser could actually increase their RPI based on the mere fact of taking the field against you.

This encourages the strong teams to not schedule weak teams, and it serves to restrain the ability for "weaker" teams to improve their lot.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

visualmagic wrote:

The last two seasons are evidence that we can put together a very good schedule even without LSU.
What we can’t replace is the crowd it brought. You can suggest whatever opponent you want, essentially all of our sellout crowds have been against LSU.
I agree with the schedule, but the rest is a tenuous statement. Your emphasis on holding on to 'one sellout night' is extremely short sighted. Explain how does the sellout benefit us so significantly beyond a single night. This is a long game battle between ADs. RD's years of kowtowing to Joe Alleva changed the Tulane LSU relationship. TD is finally standing up. The baseball series is just site that this struggle is unfolding.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Roller wrote:

RPI is about "who you play," as much (or more) as winning the games. You can win against a very week team and actually have your RPI go down. Likewise, the loser could actually increase their RPI based on the mere fact of taking the field against you.

This encourages the strong teams to not schedule weak teams, and it serves to restrain the ability for "weaker" teams to improve their lot.
Still what we are talking about is playing LSU one less time, not two. South Alabama finished with a 51 RPI.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote:
Roller wrote:

Still what we are talking about is playing LSU one less time, not two. South Alabama finished with a 51 RPI.
It’s going to be two less times this year according to the Ed Daniels report. We won’t play them in 2019, Wally Pontiff Classic in 2020. It’s unclear what will happen after that. Some have said we’d rotate into the WPC every few years.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

I agree with the schedule, but the rest is a tenuous statement. Your emphasis on holding on to 'one sellout night' is extremely short sighted. Explain how does the sellout benefit us so significantly beyond a single night. This is a long game battle between ADs. RD's years of kowtowing to Joe Alleva changed the Tulane LSU relationship. TD is finally standing up. The baseball series is just site that this struggle is unfolding.
How does it benefit us more than one night? It makes the baseball program a lot of money and potential recruits want to play in the rivalry given that type of atmosphere.
In what way did RD kowtow to Alleva? How is TD standing up to Alleva?
Agreeing to play against LSU at Zephyr field when they are refusing to play at our park is the exact opposite of standing up to Alleva.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

How does it benefit us more than one night? It makes the baseball program a lot of money and potential recruits want to play in the rivalry given that type of atmosphere.
- Yes is helps with money, but not as much as you think. The price and amount isn't like selling football tickets its less than a 6 figure difference.
- The recruiting point is overstated. Again they will still be playing LSU

In what way did RD kowtow to Alleva?
-RD botched the football series. When LSU wanted to move the game he gave in, when LSU wanted move again he gave in again,. Then when they wanted out he agreed to a $700k for one game there(when Arky state got 1 mil for going to va tech) and accepted an IOU which he failed to even schedule before retiring. The IOU has now vanished.
How is TD standing up to Alleva? By not giving in
Agreeing to play against LSU at Zephyr field when they are refusing to play at our park is the exact opposite of standing up to Alleva. He has also stated openly about wanting to play LSU, but not as a payday game.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy