Article on Message Boards

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Article on Message Boards

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:Not having locals on staff has been a problem as far back as I can remember
Every town has some level of a "protect their own" ideal, where they only want to deal with other locals, keep everything local, and not hire any "outsiders" who might "shake things up" or "do things different from how we do them around here". New Orleans has a HIGH level of that compared to most cities.

There's a fine line there between having locals who want to do "the same old thing" that local fans are comfortable with (even when, sometimes, the rest of the world is passing it by), vs. having all outsiders whom locals refuse to work with/listen to/accept. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Tulane should have all outsiders... I don't know how the mix should be. It takes the right people. Personally I like when locals get a job somewhere else where they do things well, and then come back home and can pass on those ideas but can do it using a "locals" acceptance level - I'm thinking of the guy who just came back to Tulane after having been at Stanford for a while.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Well said, Pete. The adage “doing the same thing and expecting different results” applies. It’s true most places. Here on the Maryland Eastern Shore you are either a “from here” or a “come here”.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
double d
Coach Level

Unread post by double d »

Rotorooter wrote:I would imagine that there is an employee in every Athletics Dept. that is in charge of social media "intell." If I ran an Athletics Dept., I know I would have one. I would be shocked if TD, as savvy as he is with Twitter, doesn't have his pulse on YOGWF and gotula.net. But, as we all know, yogwf is the one with all of the good ideas. :wink:
You might be surprised at the number of coaches or their informers that read these type boards.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

double d wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:I would imagine that there is an employee in every Athletics Dept. that is in charge of social media "intell." If I ran an Athletics Dept., I know I would have one. I would be shocked if TD, as savvy as he is with Twitter, doesn't have his pulse on YOGWF and gotula.net. But, as we all know, yogwf is the one with all of the good ideas. :wink:
You might be surprised at the number of coaches or their informers that read these type boards.
You're right. Many do read them. It's funny how were told about all those long hours they put in but they have time to keep up with all of this.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
ALERT!!!

Yeah, well, how do we know you are the Real Pete Rasche???

SARCASM!
Well, now... You don't, do you?!? :lol: :lol:

I'll tell ya what, approach the 6'10" guy at the Ohio State tailgate who is wearing the "Pete Rasche" name tag and tell him your YOGWF screen name, and if he says, "what are you talking about?", then you'll know I'm an imposter. :lol: :lol: (hint: chances are he's gonna be glad to meet you and know what you are talking about :wink: )
The prank potential is outstanding for this
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
ALERT!!!

SARCASM!

I'll tell ya what, approach the 6'10" guy at the Ohio State tailgate who is wearing the "Pete Rasche" name tag and tell him your YOGWF screen name, and if he says, "what are you talking about?", then you'll know I'm an imposter. :lol: :lol: (hint: chances are he's gonna be glad to meet you and know what you are talking about :wink: )
I'm well aware.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
ALERT!!!

SARCASM!

I'm well aware.
Yeah, but how many 6'10" guys do you know that you could get to stand in for you?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

noladave wrote:Troy Dannen’s greatest strength - he’s not from this area - Iowa.
Troy Dannen’s greatest weakness - he’s not from this are - Iowa.

Let me explain - he understands that Football is the money maker. It’s also the “Face” of Tulane from a National sports point of view. Basketball can also be a money maker, but you have to make the tournament. I’ve seen tremendous improvement in the number of people in the Ahletic department, and professionalism in how they run things.

HOWEVER (or feel free to use a big BUT), the vast majority of people being hired, don’t understand (not sure if they care, or not) local “customs” or colloquialisms. The uniqueness of being Tulane.

That is where we, as fans, can assist. .
So when I mentioned this last year when the Newest New Hire sent out an email wherein the very first line was proclaiming his Newness to New Orleans and that he wasn't even living IN the city limits but rather another enclave on the Northshore (which could be anywhere USA), everybody piled on me. I do not see all the "Newness" as 100% positive. Is it possible to hire NEW and LOCAL? Can we add a NEW and LOCAL person to the mix?

I'm just saying that we have had some GOOD local people who worked in the Athletic Department - I'm thinking people like Dylan Champagne, who left and moved on. These types of people are gold in New Orleans - they know everybody, their lineage goes way back. Having a good network should count for a lot of stock. Or even just keeping Tulanians in the fold too. Rick Jones has hinted around that he wants to be put to good use. What is so wrong with bringing Tulane people on board, even if just to fill in the holes on who is who, bridging history, keeping ties to our diaspora of alumni and fans. I feel like with the OOT'ers we are reinventing the wheel instead of building upon a foundation.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:...and yes, I'm seeing a creeping anti-Dannen drumbeat coming out of the baseball first and foremost fans. You're starting to see it here as well.
Two or three kvetchers on speed dial does not make a drumbeat. To use an au courant description, it’s Dannen Derangement Syndrome—nothing he does is right. Yes, we’d love not to have seen the problems under Jewett but Dannen has put the emphasis where things need to be in 2018: football, football, men’s basketball, and yes, football. He is so far ahead of RD and Sandy Barbour before him, it’s not funny. And I believe Jewett is on Dannen’s hot seat in 2019: right the ship or you are gone. I love that Dannen has a pair. RD was a castrati.
Based on what we know now about Cannizaro from that ESPN article about how Mississippi State righted the ship once they got rid of him, his stock completely dropped and I hope that it silences some of the complainers. We can't definitively say that he could maybe have transitioned better here and not gone off the rails, but the consensus was that he was in over his head as a head coach there. My personal opinion is that head coaching jobs in the SEC are actually easier than jobs at places like Tulane because you are shooting fish in a barrel. You have none of the academic, financial, facilities, recruiting constraints and all of the upside. Yes, the game may be faster - but if you can coach and not have to worry about all of the other things that come with leading a department it's a whole lot easier to focus on wining games and recruiting good players - especially when prospective players are knocking down your door to play at your school.

But regardless of any of this, the fact is Jewett is what we have today. So I REALLY hope that it is indeed true that Jewett is being given a short leash this season because we cannot afford to have another "wait and see" situation going in to 2020.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

GreenieBacker wrote:that other board does us a public service, it keeps the nutjobs all in one place :-D

and yes, I'm seeing a creeping anti-Dannen drumbeat coming out of the baseball first and foremost fans. You're starting to see it here as well.

I opined sometime back that it would have helped RD and his dysfunctional Athletic Department to post here and answer questions/give us their POV, but there was no way that was going to happen. I don't think I've ever seen an AD who hated mingling/talking to the fan base more than that guy. Oh, and I think JtS said Cowen also had some flunky as well monitoring what was being said here. I would have LOVED to hear those conversations! :lol:
GB, do you really think that some of the posters here are not there also? Of course they are, but under a different username. :whistle:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
windywave
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
noladave wrote:Troy Dannen’s greatest strength - he’s not from this area - Iowa.
Troy Dannen’s greatest weakness - he’s not from this are - Iowa.

Let me explain - he understands that Football is the money maker. It’s also the “Face” of Tulane from a National sports point of view. Basketball can also be a money maker, but you have to make the tournament. I’ve seen tremendous improvement in the number of people in the Ahletic department, and professionalism in how they run things.

HOWEVER (or feel free to use a big BUT), the vast majority of people being hired, don’t understand (not sure if they care, or not) local “customs” or colloquialisms. The uniqueness of being Tulane.

That is where we, as fans, can assist. .
So when I mentioned this last year when the Newest New Hire sent out an email wherein the very first line was proclaiming his Newness to New Orleans and that he wasn't even living IN the city limits but rather another enclave on the Northshore (which could be anywhere USA), everybody piled on me. I do not see all the "Newness" as 100% positive. Is it possible to hire NEW and LOCAL? Can we add a NEW and LOCAL person to the mix?

I'm just saying that we have had some GOOD local people who worked in the Athletic Department - I'm thinking people like Dylan Champagne, who left and moved on. These types of people are gold in New Orleans - they know everybody, their lineage goes way back. Having a good network should count for a lot of stock. Or even just keeping Tulanians in the fold too. Rick Jones has hinted around that he wants to be put to good use. What is so wrong with bringing Tulane people on board, even if just to fill in the holes on who is who, bridging history, keeping ties to our diaspora of alumni and fans. I feel like with the OOT'ers we are reinventing the wheel instead of building upon a foundation.
I don't know if you are a native New Orleanian or not, but you sound like one. The Old New Orleans way has seen banking, energy, and trade move to other cities leaving New Orleans a ghost of its past glory. As to why Tulane needs new blood, see our athletics record for the past century
#cousins don't count
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

I am not a native New Orleanean. New Orleans has always had a turnover of people since the beginning. That's not the point.

The point is that we need an anchor of tradition somewhere to balance out some decisions.

I can understand both sides of the point of people being upset at Dannen for killing the baseball game, and I can see the side where we need to be hard a$$es in negotiating on our terms.

There is a lot to say about deciding to drive the final stake into a rivalry.

I'm sure that there was also a contingent of people who thought Herbert Longenecker was a genius for negotiating our exit from the SEC. It was exhausting being a doormat and we desperately needed some control over the decision making of our own schedule. Who would have thought back then that television rights 50 years into the future would inflict the damage that it has?

This said, I am not anti Dannen. I'm just pro-hiring some local people, because they aren't irrelevant.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I am not a native New Orleanean. New Orleans has always had a turnover of people since the beginning. That's not the point.

The point is that we need an anchor of tradition somewhere to balance out some decisions.

I can understand both sides of the point of people being upset at Dannen for killing the baseball game, and I can see the side where we need to be hard a$$es in negotiating on our terms.

There is a lot to say about deciding to drive the final stake into a rivalry.

I'm sure that there was also a contingent of people who thought Herbert Longenecker was a genius for negotiating our exit from the SEC. It was exhausting being a doormat and we desperately needed some control over the decision making of our own schedule. Who would have thought back then that television rights 50 years into the future would inflict the damage that it has?

This said, I am not anti Dannen. I'm just pro-hiring some local people, because they aren't irrelevant.
Dr. H., I generally agree with both you and Windy. As concerns the SEC, I would simply note that in 1966, Tulane Board was dominated by locals and it was they and not Longenecker who drove the decision to leave the SEC. Longenecker wasn't even on the Board.
windywave
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote: I'm just pro-hiring some local people, because they aren't irrelevant.
Why, unless you're talking some kind of recruiting function which would be fine.. Almost no top level program hires "local" unless they have proven themselves. Even Frost had to prove himself before his Messianic return.
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:I'm more than happy to bet anyone here that our SOS next year in baseball without LSU will be better than this season with LSU.
Will take this bet 8 days a week.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote: I'm just pro-hiring some local people, because they aren't irrelevant.
Why, unless you're talking some kind of recruiting function which would be fine.. Almost no top level program hires "local" unless they have proven themselves. Even Frost had to prove himself before his Messianic return.
She's talking about staff in the AD, not high profile head coaches. That said, since you brought up Nebraska, two of their three Deputy ADs are alums.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:I'm more than happy to bet anyone here that our SOS next year in baseball without LSU will be better than this season with LSU.
Great. Let's start with today. Let's use preseason SOS after schedule is announced next fall. Two season tickets for baseball in sections 106 or 206. Your choice based on how close you want to be to the field or the concessions. Loser owns the tickets so you're not buying them for me. You'll enjoy going to the games. We're both big fans so we use prime seats here. See you in the fall when the schedule is announced.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Great. Let's start with today. Let's use preseason SOS after schedule is announced next fall. Two season tickets for baseball in sections 106 or 206. Your choice based on how close you want to be to the field or the concessions. Loser owns the tickets so you're not buying them for me. You'll enjoy going to the games. We're both big fans so we use prime seats here. See you in the fall when the schedule is announced.
What was last seasons preseason SOS?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
She's talking about staff in the AD, not high profile head coaches. That said, since you brought up Nebraska, two of their three Deputy ADs are alums.
It’s not just about hiring people from the NOLA area. By “locals”, we need more Tulane people. People that genuinely want Tulane to succeed and care about that success. Over the years I’ve gotten to know a lot of the staff members who have come and gone and while there were some that had Tulane’s best interests at heart, there were almost as many that were just here to pad their resumes so they could get a good job close to home (which I can’t blame) when the opportunity arises.

We need the Tulane people (such as the recent hire) that are gaining valuable knowledge elsewhere but looking to use that knowledge to enhance Tulane’s place in the sports world, when the chance arises.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Seems odd to use preseason SOS...which would be based on what, the previous season's RPI?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Seems odd to use preseason SOS...which would be based on what, the previous season's RPI?
Last season's ending RPI is a perfect thing to use....both ends of the bet use the same set of ratings. Southeastern is southeastern. USM is USM.
The spirit of the bet is whether next season's schedule is intended to be stronger.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

GSx wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Last season's ending RPI is a perfect thing to use....both ends of the bet use the same set of ratings. Southeastern is southeastern. USM is USM.
The spirit of the bet is whether next season's schedule is intended to be stronger.
You could use the preseason SOS and the post season SOS as that can change depending on how the opponents do. This year, if Ole Miss has a really good year, our SOS could be better because we play them one more time than we would have with lsu. Preseason is hard to use since there are often teams expected to be really good that end up having bad seasons.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GSx wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Or is the spirit of the bet to compare what next season's schedule is intended to be with what last season's schedule was intended to be? I feel like you have to use the same comparison point.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Preseason to postseason is apples to oranges, not to mention preseason SOS is irrelevant. Last season our SOS ended up 15th in the country. I am happy to bet that we won't have as high an SOS this year.
windywave
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
They need to bring something more to the table than being local. Being someone's nephew or sister in law is not sufficient
#cousins don't count