Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm 
President's Circle

TU23 wrote:
In a perfect world, Camel could use the new redshirt rule to play 4 games and sit the rest of the season. Get his feet wet in game action (hopefully not anything meaningful) and then come back ready to play next year. I think it's too much to expect him to be ready this year after never having played corner.

It is an interesting strategic question. I think you play a bunch vs Nichols(if the game is in hand) or Ohio state(if the game is out of hand) and the rest you save for the last four of the year for depth or as needed for injuries. The same goes for QB. You save Daniels in case Banks gets dinged up for a game or something. Plus by end of the year they will better prepared.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm 
Emerald Circle

Advocate: Unknown leader: Tulane offensive lineman Dominique Briggs speaks for entire team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:

This is great. When was the last time Tulane had a VERBAL offensive lineman? Attitude!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

Chuck Pitcock.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
Chuck Pitcock.

I had moved out of state when he was playing for Tulane and have no memory of him but found this comment -
Quote:
Mr. Pitcock was nicknamed "Pit Bull" or "Wild Man" because of his passionate, punishing style at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds. Friends say his greatest feature was his heart.

Sadly, Chuck Pitcock passed away in 2016 way before his time. RIP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 am 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:

If this story doesn't get you pumped, nothing will.

Let's hope it's not just talk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 am 
Emerald Circle

really enjoyed reading the article. What I found a little surprising is that the new guy, transfer Fischer, was slotted into the Left Tackle position (the marquee slot on the OL) and everyone else moved around to make that happen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am 
Navigator Level

I know we like to look down on the Sunbelt and rightfully so but it tells you how bad our line has been.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Maybe the Sunbelt in general, but not for specific talented players.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:34 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
I know we like to look down on the Sunbelt and rightfully so but it tells you how bad our line has been.

It was self evident

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 am 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:

I don't get it either but the "I may only have two mules but all he's got is one" crowd reflects eternal human nature and is not limited to some Tulane fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 am 
Emerald Circle

the OL was a train wreck under Banquet Bob and Clueless CJ. As bad as any I've seen at Tulane. We've improved under WF but still have a ways to go. Personally, I'm liking how we're shaping this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
the OL was a train wreck under Banquet Bob and Clueless CJ. As bad as any I've seen at Tulane. We've improved under WF but still have a ways to go. Personally, I'm liking how we're shaping this year.

One remark that CWF seems to use every time he's talking to the media is about our depth... and how we had none on the OL when he got here and now we have "Division 1 football players" and three units of OL. That, to me, is the MOST encouraging fact about our program... that we are getting the bodies in to compete... now it's all about him and his assistants coaching them and scheming to beat the teams on our schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
One remark that CWF seems to use every time he's talking to the media is about our depth... and how we had none on the OL when he got here and now we have "Division 1 football players" and three units of OL. That, to me, is the MOST encouraging fact about our program... that we are getting the bodies in to compete... now it's all about him and his assistants coaching them and scheming to beat the teams on our schedule.
Can I get an Amen?!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
really enjoyed reading the article. What I found a little surprising is that the new guy, transfer Fischer, was slotted into the Left Tackle position (the marquee slot on the OL) and everyone else moved around to make that happen.

That did not surprise me. I did notice that in the notes section that Fisher was held out of the last practice at Saints camp (not supposed to be serious) and that Joey Claybrook took his spot. I hope that says something about his development.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 am 
Navigator Level

sr wrote:
Maybe the Sunbelt in general, but not for specific talented players.

The NFL shows us that good football players can be found anywhere and everywhere!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am 
Emerald Circle

lg I would be interested in your explanation of why it didn't surprise you. I think Fischer is good, maybe as good as any OL we've had here in quite a while. But to give him that position basically on film seems interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
lg I would be interested in your explanation of why it didn't surprise you. I think Fischer is good, maybe as good as any OL we've had here in quite a while. But to give him that position basically on film seems interesting.

He wasn’t given the position “on film.” He was put there because that’s where he’s played and I’m guessing he didn’t fall on his face. If he had he’d have been the one to move. The article is light on details, really. It says where Briggs was put, not who took his place.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am 
Regent's Circle

Little video from yesterday's practice - '#7 looks blazing fast!' ...

https://twitter.com/TFB_Edits/status/1027930379045490688?s=20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm 
Navigator Level

windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:

It was self evident

I should have said confirmed what we already knew. Unfortunately it also says the line still has a long way to go. May Banks stay upright for all of our games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm 
Navigator Level

Johnny Mac wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

I hear him talking and all coaches have talking points. However those that are allowed to slip in to the practices aren't in agreement with what he says there. We still need a huge infusion of quality players there. We aren't close to having three units from a quality standpoint. We have the numbers to have three separate lines but goodness help us if we had to go there in a game. Things are better at a lot of positions and somewhat better here but along with QB we need much more. Fortunately we have been getting help from JC and grad transfers and even transfers that have to sit a year. The staff is aggressive and I believe they will get these spots shored up sooner than later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

I hear him talking and all coaches have talking points. However those that are allowed to slip in to the practices aren't in agreement with what he says there. We still need a huge infusion of quality players there. We aren't close to having three units from a quality standpoint. We have the numbers to have three separate lines but goodness help us if we had to go there in a game. Things are better at a lot of positions and somewhat better here but along with QB we need much more. Fortunately we have been getting help from JC and grad transfers and even transfers that have to sit a year. The staff is aggressive and I believe they will get these spots shored up sooner than later.

I get what your saying, but who presently has three units at even the majority of positions. Players leaving, getting hurt, not panning out. All of those contribute to lack of depth. Delve into nearly any teams roster and you will find far less than you think.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:36 pm 
Navigator Level

I agree. It just seemed some here were buying that and I was just trying to interject some reality is all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm 
President's Circle

Wavedom, any idea what the QB depth chart looks like right now? And how many D1 OL do we actually have? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
I agree. It just seemed some here were buying that and I was just trying to interject some reality is all.

Fritz was not saying he had 3 whole units of good OL's, he was saying he had bodies there after 2 years of often not having enough to safely practice with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next