Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2518
Location: Greeneville, TN
Baywave1 wrote:
I'm cool with absolute self-confidence as long as it is internalized. It's not so good when you're placing the talking before the walking.

Well in short our guys have laid down the marker like Namath before SB III. It's not bragging if you can do it. We'll know late afternoon Saturday which it is.


This. Roller, I'm not against the players be confident. I think we should win this game and I absolutely hope the players think they should. But there's no need to say it aloud to a reporter before a game. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 2608
Location: Fullerton, CA
I used to be bothered by this kind of talking, but I really don't care anymore. If we lose to UAB, the storyline won't be "Tulane loses to UAB because it ran its mouth." It will be "Tulane upset by C-USA opponent it should have beaten."

What we have gotten a lot during the past fifteen years is blather about "we need to execute" and "we just need to take care of business" and "we feel good about ourselves"--then a whole lot of not executing, not taking care of business, and feeling bad. It hasn't mattered who the opponent was, whether Tulane was an underdog or a favorite, or where the game was played. So I'm not listening to player chat anymore. Talk all you want, players, so long as you show up and win--and preferably beat the ever-loving hell out of some people along the way.

And this: if we can't face another team's amped-up best shot, we aren't very good. We can beat the teams that totally mail it in (see Tulsa last year) or can't hope to play four quarters against our depth (see every FCS team since 2007). But we worry about AAC and C-USA teams' getting worked up for the game? Come on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Baton Rouge
Wandering Quaker wrote:
I used to be bothered by this kind of talking, but I really don't care anymore. If we lose to UAB, the storyline won't be "Tulane loses to UAB because it ran its mouth." It will be "Tulane upset by C-USA opponent it should have beaten."

What we have gotten a lot during the past fifteen years is blather about "we need to execute" and "we just need to take care of business" and "we feel good about ourselves"--then a whole lot of not executing, not taking care of business, and feeling bad. It hasn't mattered who the opponent was, whether Tulane was an underdog or a favorite, or where the game was played. So I'm not listening to player chat anymore. Talk all you want, players, so long as you show up and win--and preferably beat the ever-loving hell out of some people along the way.

And this: if we can't face another team's amped-up best shot, we aren't very good. We can beat the teams that totally mail it in (see Tulsa last year) or can't hope to play four quarters against our depth (see every FCS team since 2007). But we worry about AAC and C-USA teams' getting worked up for the game? Come on.


I agree with the above, but... a team that went bowlimg last year and we didnt isnt below us any more than Houston etc are below Vanderbilt Arkansas, and Texas Tech. To buy into our superiority becuase we have a an AAC sticker on our shirt is garbage just as CJ suggested that he was at a disadvantage the froat year in the AAC. WFs Georgia Southern team won the Sun Belt their first Year in the conference. Missouri won the SEC east their 2nd and 3rd years in that conference. Evaluate each team by the players on it and the coaches on the sidelines, not the patches on the jerseys.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 1795
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20044
Location: New Orleans
we win this game and we're 1/3 of the way to a Bowl game and we breathe a little excitement into this Program.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Baton Rouge
sprout1550 wrote:
Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.


If we lose the season isn't over, but it will be in peril. Assuming we lose to OSU we will be 1-3 out of conference. Which mean we have to go 5-3 in conference. The AAC West now is a level better than the CUSA West was in 2013,the last time we went 5-3 in conference.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 857
Location: River Ridge
sprout1550 wrote:
Each year we talk about a game (or two, or three) that we can look at as a measuring stick to see if Tulane has finally turned the corner and can be a winning program. Is this one of those games? Can we go on the road and win a game we should win? If we do, it bodes well for the rest of the season, right? Every game matters, but do you think this game is important and a "must win"? I think so. I think we need to erase memories of the FIU disaster last year, and this game has to be looked at for that very reason. While Guerry brought it up in the article, I think it was on most people's minds anyway.


This is a game we badly need. And the conference needs us to win. Well then let's see if we come out with our hair on fire. Let's see if the offensive coaches let loose a bit. Let's see if we can...dare I say...dominate.

I know WF isn't one of those super rah-rah coaches, but there are games in his tenure when we come out stoked (Southern and ECU in 16, Navy, Tulsa, Houston and SMU in 17), then there were the debacles of Cincy and FIU in 17 (and I could add - and most shockingly - the offense during first half of the Wake game).

UAB played in the bowl game we should have been in had the SMU call gone the right way. Reminder that they got shellacked 41-6 to Ohio in that game.


Last edited by 1401973 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20568
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
I don't think there can ever be such a thing as a "must win" game in week III. But man this looms large. Assuming one doesn't like our chances against OSU (being OSU) or Memphis (being Memphis on short rest after OSU), a loss Saturday would "most likely" have us at 1-4 with potentially two bad losses in a row. That's hard to come back from.

We are more than capable of winning this game. Past experience has taught us to fear these games. Player quotes aren't helping.

So let's DO this.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2370
Helpful instructions on how to find the game on Facebook
https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/1040328697503338496?s=21


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18266
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I’ve tried to follow the Facebook instructions but I am not seeing what the video says I should see on the Tulane Football Facebook page. I cannot seem to find the Tulane vs. UAB place where to click “Interested”.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30476
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
visualmagic wrote:
Helpful instructions on how to find the game on Facebook
https://twitter.com/greenwavefb/status/1040328697503338496?s=21
Those instructions do not work for many people, despite following all of their suggestions. Several frustrated people over there unable to get the link.

It's easier to go to the UAB site and use their link, since they seem to have a handle on how to do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:27 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20185
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Okay, so since we have THREE threads on the UAB game and since people keep posting everything that gets posted to the "Tulane football alliance" Facebook page without checking to see if it's correct or working or worthwhile, can I point out that we've already discussed how to watch it, and randymc posted the direct link here :
viewtopic.php?p=719424#p719424

Forget instructions, forget using the bootleg (probably malware filled) link someone posted. It's not going to be hard to find, people. Just realize you will need a Facebook account if you don't have one (and when you set up a new one, you don't have to link it to your contacts or address book, just skip that step).

Facebook is a lot of things but tech-ignorant they're not (unlike the folks who made an instruction video on Tulane's site with a broken video link). For the fourth time, I promise, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIND IT.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:18 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2666
Pete, thanks! Put this post alone on its own thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18266
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:07 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20185
Location: Cincinnati, OH
TUPF wrote:
My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.

If you are referring to the website on the previous page which does NOT have "Facebook.com" in the title and you clicked something on that page that was encouraging you to click for access to a game, you probably just downloaded some nice spyware or malware. Just sayin'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18266
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.

If you are referring to the website on the previous page which does NOT have "Facebook.com" in the title and you clicked something on that page that was encouraging you to click for access to a game, you probably just downloaded some nice spyware or malware. Just sayin'.

Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6802
Location: Dripping Springs
Two-deep for UAB -

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm
Posts: 258
No changes on depth chart from what I see:

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 6145516545

_________________
- Twitter: @fearthewaveblog
- Tune In: FTWCast on iTunes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20185
Location: Cincinnati, OH
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
My Facebook notification just popped up a few minutes ago showing the Tulane vs. UAB item that was being referred to in the video earlier this week, which make me think it didn’t exist until now.

Anyway, I clicked Interested which if the video is to be believed means it’ll now just happen Saturday.

In my Navy days we had a highly technical term for things that just fix themselves: PFM.

Pure Effing Magic.

If you are referring to the website on the previous page which does NOT have "Facebook.com" in the title and you clicked something on that page that was encouraging you to click for access to a game, you probably just downloaded some nice spyware or malware. Just sayin'.

Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.

Good. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30476
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Nope. It was my own old Facebook feed, which I dutifully carried out the video instructions on yesterday to no avail. It PFMd itself.

Good. :mrgreen:
Same experience for me, TUPF


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group