Fall Ball begins today --

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
sr
Regent's Circle

Fall Ball begins today --

Post by sr »

Hoping for all pieces of the puzzle to be available in year three.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... edule.aspx
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Fall Ball begins today --

Post by tjtlja »

Great day. A new beginning. And we definitely have more pieces. It will all depend on pitching as it does every season. I just hope we have some scrimmages.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote:Great day. A new beginning. And we definitely have more pieces. It will all depend on pitching as it does every season. I just hope we have some scrimmages.
I think the exhibition games against other teams will be beneficial. Better way to judge the team after the fall.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider, no question they will help. JUCO’s play almost 10-15 games against outside competition in the fall. Heard the first day went well and some good looking hitters. But no scrimmage!
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

tjtlja wrote:waverider, no question they will help. JUCO’s play almost 10-15 games against outside competition in the fall. Heard the first day went well and some good looking hitters. But no scrimmage!
First scrimmage next Wednesday

If anyone wants to catch practice this weekend
Saturday and Sunday 10:00-2:00
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

The first scrimmage was today
All the pitchers threw one inning except for Keagan. I don’t want to read anything into it
Chase looks like the old Chase
Pellerin and Cellucci are going to give us a lefty righty combo coming out of the pen. Each had 2 K’s and can bring the heat throwing in the mid 90’s
Grant Mathews continues to swing the bat. He had a HR and double
The wind must have been blowing in about 30 mph. Every fly ball was an adventure. Hoese hit a fly to left that ended up dropping behind shortstop
The only positions that have competition are center field and right field. Freshman Hudson Haskin is battling Kobi Owen in center and Grant Mathews and Tyler Heinrichs are battling for right
We definitely have enough catchers this year. Acy Owen will be the starter but Frankie Niemann will push for playing time and the 2 freshmen look solid

According to my stats we had
19 R 21 H. 13 K 10 BB 7 HBP
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Tulane49 wrote:The first scrimmage was today
All the pitchers threw one inning except for Keagan. I don’t want to read anything into it
Pellerin and Cellucci are going to give us a lefty righty combo coming out of the pen. Each had 2 K’s and can bring the heat throwing in the mid 90’s
The wind must have been blowing in about 30 mph. Every fly ball was an adventure. Hoese hit a fly to left that ended up dropping behind shortstop
The only positions that have competition are center field and right field. Freshman Hudson Haskin is battling Kobi Owen in center and Grant Mathews and Tyler Heinrichs are battling for right
We definitely have enough catchers this year. Acy Owen will be the starter but Frankie Niemann will push for playing time and the 2 freshmen look solid

10 walks and 7 HBP? Christ.
How many innings were played?
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

visualmagic wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:The first scrimmage was today

10 walks and 7 HBP? Christ.
How many innings were played?
At least 10 innings. No one was keeping score
Everyone batted
Some players had to leave early to go to class and some had to catch flights home for the fall break
Coach Harris had to play shortstop a few innings
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Tulane49 wrote: some had to catch flights home for the fall break
That seems to be poor planning!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

The coaches had to plan around the break, and since school is out Thursday through Sunday, Wednesday was the last day to play a “game” before the break.

In the fall, the guys go ahead and take late afternoon/evening classes, as it minimizes interference with practice times. In the spring, they avoid those, if at all possible.

Additionally, a few of the guys were given permission to fly out Wednesday evening, so that they could enjoy the fall break with their families. I think fans sometimes forget that players do have personal lives, and that “life” happens, even though they are baseball players.

Yesterday was a crazy day - yes the hit batters were an issue, but I think 4 or 5 of them were from 1 pitcher. We also had the first instance of the new “lean in” rule - if the batter attempts to lean into the pitch, to get hit by the pitch, then the umpire can call a strike on the batter, and is not awarded 1st base.

It was nice to see all 18 pitchers throw at least one inning. Some guys looked awesome, some guys, not so much. It is way to early to see which ones are going to compete. I will say a couple of the new guys had some lively stuff, along with some of the returning players. In my opinion, Latham is going to make a big difference.

We really won’t get a good read on either pitchers, hitters, or defense (wind was really crazy yesterday), until we play South Alabama and USM.

Best moment of the day, came after Grant hit a foul ball, was running it out, and came back to the plate. The catcher was giving him the bat, and just as Grant went to grab it, the catcher dropped the bat at his feet. Grant then promptly hit a home run, the only one of the day.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

noladave wrote:The coaches had to plan around the break, and since school is out Thursday through Sunday, Wednesday was the last day to play a “game” before the break.

In the fall, the guys go ahead and take late afternoon/evening classes, as it minimizes interference with practice times. In the spring, they avoid those, if at all possible.

Additionally, a few of the guys were given permission to fly out Wednesday evening, so that they could enjoy the fall break with their families. I think fans sometimes forget that players do have personal lives, and that “life” happens, even though they are baseball players.

Yesterday was a crazy day - yes the hit batters were an issue, but I think 4 or 5 of them were from 1 pitcher. We also had the first instance of the new “lean in” rule - if the batter attempts to lean into the pitch, to get hit by the pitch, then the umpire can call a strike on the batter, and is not awarded 1st base.

It was nice to see all 18 pitchers throw at least one inning. Some guys looked awesome, some guys, not so much. It is way to early to see which ones are going to compete. I will say a couple of the new guys had some lively stuff, along with some of the returning players. In my opinion, Latham is going to make a big difference.

We really won’t get a good read on either pitchers, hitters, or defense (wind was really crazy yesterday), until we play South Alabama and USM.

Best moment of the day, came after Grant hit a foul ball, was running it out, and came back to the plate. The catcher was giving him the bat, and just as Grant went to grab it, the catcher dropped the bat at his feet. Grant then promptly hit a home run, the only one of the day.
Thanks for the update....mainly to keep the boo birds at bay a little longer.... :mrgreen:
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Tulane needs a women's softball team so they can sign this recruit … one of the purer swings I've seen. Heck sign her to the men's team.

https://twitter.com/snkline1/status/104 ... 44384?s=20
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This team will score a lot of runs and it won’t matter who they are playing. A very good balance of guys who will not strike out much and power.

The defense will be solid.

The only question mark is can the pitching staff throw strikes. If that happens, we will make a regional. If they can’t, we may have another losing season. As usual, it all boils down to the guys on the mound.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

sr wrote:Hoping for all pieces of the puzzle to be available in year three.

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/1 ... edule.aspx
We really do have a beautiful ball park !!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:This team will score a lot of runs and it won’t matter who they are playing. A very good balance of guys who will not strike out much and power.

The only question mark is can the pitching staff throw strikes. If that happens, we will make a regional. If they can’t, we may have another losing season. As usual, it all boils down to the guys on the mound.
Hope it turns out that way but I think your greatly over stating things. The hitting has improved some but it was far from a level of scoring a lot of runs. Nothing has happened to show we'll make a great jump on offense. The defense was bad last year. If we haven't improved at C, SS and CF it will be another long season. As to the pitching everyone is waiting to see if Latham can make a difference. I think he will. Even if he does though the offense and defense need to make noticeable improvements too.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:This team will score a lot of runs and it won’t matter who they are playing. A very good balance of guys who will not strike out much and power.

Hope it turns out that way but I think your greatly over stating things. The hitting has improved some but it was far from a level of scoring a lot of runs. Nothing has happened to show we'll make a great jump on offense. The defense was bad last year. If we haven't improved at C, SS and CF it will be another long season. As to the pitching everyone is waiting to see if Latham can make a difference. I think he will. Even if he does though the offense and defense need to make noticeable improvements too.
I have to agree, that the defense was not good last year.
I also think Latham will help, but who’s to say how much. There’s a good possibility that the pitchers we have just aren’t that good.
The offense was fine last year and it was the strength of the team but I don’t think you can be a good team in college baseball if your offense is your strength and you hit .265 as a team and score less than 6 runs per game
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

The team will scrimmage Friday and Saturday at Ryan Field (Jesuit)
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Change of schedule
Friday’s scrimmage is back at Turchin starting at 4:00
Saturday’s scrimmage is also at Turchin but closed to the public
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Any word on Fri and Sat scrimmages ?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I saw all of Friday’s scrimmage, saw most of Saturday’s (I missed either 1 or 1.5 innings).

At this point, pitchers are only pitching 1 inning, so it’s tough to see how they would handle the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th inning of work. It’s nice to see Chase back on the mound, and several pitchers have looked really good, but I want to see how they do in the 2 fall scrimmages against USA and USM, before I get too excited.

As for offense, Grant Mathews has hit multiple home runs, and at least a double, or two. Other guys have hit the ball well, include Dave Bedgood.

Again, until they see “live” hitting against pitchers they don’t know very well, you don’t know how they really look.

We have a couple of guys banged up, so they are either not playing, or are “limited” in playing. Should be ok by spring.

We have a lot of players, so it will be interesting to see the final cuts, come late January.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Does our "hack shack" have the capability to simulate "real" pitching? Can it throw 95 mph fast balls, drop-off-the-table curves, confounding sliders and slurves, change-ups, etc. Can it be set to simulate actual pitchers we will be facing?

Or does it just throw generically?

Specifically, I imagine that trying to hit supersonic fastballs would "slow down" the plate appearances for out batters.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:Does our "hack shack" have the capability to simulate "real" pitching? Can it throw 95 mph fast balls, drop-off-the-table curves, confounding sliders and slurves, change-ups, etc. Can it be set to simulate actual pitchers we will be facing?

Or does it just throw generically?

Specifically, I imagine that trying to hit supersonic fastballs would "slow down" the plate appearances for out batters.
Yes