This Newbie found this to be Informative

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: This Newbie found this to be Informative

Post by Baywave1 »

Interesting reminder that Tulane did win several conference championships before incarnation of SEC. I don't recall if we have signage up in Yulman noting that. I guess historical accuracy argues for including them but does it mean anything really to brag about what your great grandpappy did in football 90+ years ago? Obviously I vote for what have you done for me lately but still....
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Obviously
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:Interesting reminder that Tulane did win several conference championships before incarnation of SEC. I don't recall if we have signage up in Yulman noting that. I guess historical accuracy argues for including them but does it mean anything really to brag about what your great grandpappy did in football 90+ years ago? Obviously I vote for what have you done for me lately but still....
There is a sign reflecting those past championships in the stadium. It's not really given a place of prominence which is why you missed it. It just blends in with the many other signs around it. They should have kept those flags from the Dome and hung them in the stadium.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Interesting reminder that Tulane did win several conference championships before incarnation of SEC. I don't recall if we have signage up in Yulman noting that. I guess historical accuracy argues for including them but does it mean anything really to brag about what your great grandpappy did in football 90+ years ago? Obviously I vote for what have you done for me lately but still....
There is a sign reflecting those past championships in the stadium. It's not really given a place of prominence which is why you missed it. It just blends in with the many other signs around it. They should have kept those flags from the Dome and hung them in the stadium.
I agree about the flags. The sec championship sign, I believe, is next to (or near) the ad for Duece McAllister’s Ole Kitchen and Saint (or whatever it’s called).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

1920-1950 was the golden age of Tulane football.
This period was one of Tulane domination in the world of southern college football. In 1926, Tulane Stadium was built. In 1932, Tulane became a founding member of a little group known as the Southeastern Conference. In 1934, Tulane defeated Temple 20-14 in the first ever Sugar Bowl. This era can be easily categorized by the numbers:

24 winning seasons

8 seasons appearing the AP poll

8 conference titles

2 Sugar Bowl Appearances

1 Rose Bowl Appearance

180-94-17 overall record
Willie Fritz isn’t trying to reverse 20 years of bad decisions. He’s trying to change a culture that, aside from a few seasons, has been in the making for over 60 years.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

wavedom wrote:
Wavedom, thanks. I have seen the SEC sign but not the one for championships for Southern league and its predecessor. I'll look for it at ECU game. We all agree we need to win now but we do have a pedigree and I'm glad it's getting some face time even if it is a long time ago.