Houston 48 Tulane 17

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Houston 48 Tulane 17

Post by OGSB »

Houston scores their average, Tulane manages 17 against a defense giving up 34.4. 359 yards of offense, 140 coming in the 4th quarter
Last edited by OGSB on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victory is never permanent
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Houston 41 Tulane 17

Post by 1309th WAVE »

So it goes. Season comes down to 60 minutes next saturday, again
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

We laid an egg just like we do every time that there is a high profile/ make a statement game. Unfortunately, can’t say that I’m surprised. Still have a chance for a bowl.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

We need a QB
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Post by speckled trout »

Our tacking was atrocious and we played undisciplined. The offense gets really, really bad when we fall behind. I hope for better tackling on Saturday and for the defense to stay with their assignments
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Re: Houston 48 Tulane 17

Post by IM42lane »

I am not going to run down anyone here. Tulane played themselves into an outside shot at winnng a division championship and just could not keep it going tonight.

Next week, they have a shot at a winning conference record and a winning division record. This program is definitely making slow progress.

ROLL GREEN WAVE!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:We need a QB
??

I think its pretty clear that McMillan is competent. Not great, I will agree and say not even good, but competent. Our receivers are not open and don't make plays on the ball. Are they the problem? Do they practice run blocking too much and not enough of the passing game? Looking at our WR coaches bio it raves about how many running backs he coached and done well with :| . We have seen this for two years now. Our running game gets stuffed and the only pass plays we know how to call are slants, go routes down the sideline, outs and hitches. High school route trees. Speaking to other post, this offensive scheme, while better than CJ's, seems handicapped by the fact it has a simplistic passing game. RPOs are cool but they aren't a philosophical answer. Hoping, wishing, waiting for that one super duper dual threat qb that makes our dreams come true is a pathetic excuse for a plan.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I'm very disappointed with how the game went last night. I thought we had put the blowouts behind us. Even in a loss, I expected us to be in the game until the end. In reality, Houston was just better than us. If we want a model of the kind of recruits we will need in order to truly contend for the conference title, we only need to look at what Houston threw out there against us last night on the offensive side of the ball.

As bad as the defense played, they carried the water for us the last three games and really for the entire season outside of OSU and Cinci. Sometimes a unit is going to have an off night and others have to step up. Whether from lack of talent or poor scheme, the offense was nowhere to be found last night when the defense needed them most. This was a game in which the offense should have been able to score almost at will. But like SMU, Tulsa, and to a lesser (but still noticeable) extent ECU, even when presented with weak defenses we simply don't have what it takes on that side of the ball right now.

We badly need to win next week if only for the extra practice. If seniors want to make a statement in their last home game, do to Navy next week what Houston did to us last night. Don't leave it close late. Don't let them have hope. Don't leave any doubt.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Defense mailed it in after Kennedy got hurt. He was their rudder. The dbs, shenall and hall particularly, were God awful. Put it in the rear view and beat Navy!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Poseidon—- having a Fritz worthy QB what allow us to do so many things more even with our other problems. Sure McMillan is serviceable. I hope he sticks around as an experienced back up next year. But we are never going to be able to use this offense effectively until Fritz Is able to recruit the right quarterback. To my mind that has been his greatest failure so far. Let us hope the USM Transfer is the real deal.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

That was a surreal experience. Almost like going back in time to the Toledo/CJ days. Was that the poorest D performance in the WF era? Maybe Tulsa in 2016? Tons of missed tackles by guys who used to miss tackles when CJ was coach but had tightened it up under WF. We made their mediocre RB look like Alvin Kamara. Their Carrot Top RB made us look silly. Their true frosh QB was just having a grand old time. Boy we haven't let anyone do this to us in a long time - it just doesn't fit the narrative of our 2018 D.

In my pre-game hype I thought the game wouldn't be too big for McMillan. WRONG.
Capt Obvious here: He was very poor. Erratic and missed open receivers (wide open 84 on 3rd and 2 down play that went to 5 and was deflected). He didn't manage the game well at all. He wasn't ready for prime time.

I guess I now know what USF and Memphis fans were feeling after they played us.

But I loved their O playcalling. Had us guessing the entire game. Found ways to get all weapons in play. In one game they completed two less passes to their TEs (6) than we have to Charles Jones all year (8).

If I'm a high school RB I would like to play in either TU's or Houston's system. If I'm a high school WR or TE why (other than an education) would I want to pick TU with our current system?

And Amare Jones could be great.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:Poseidon—- having a Fritz worthy QB what allow us to do so many things more even with our other problems. Sure McMillan is serviceable. I hope he sticks around as an experienced back up next year. But we are never going to be able to use this offense effectively until Fritz Is able to recruit the right quarterback. To my mind that has been his greatest failure so far. Let us hope the USM Transfer is the real deal.
While I share your hope, he would be the 5th QB to start multiple games four years into the program. At some point it has to be the system. I have lost confidence in this system's ability to pass the football with any nuance.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Rough night.

I even posted the wrong score. I just remember it was a lot more than us.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

WaveProf wrote:Poseidon—- having a Fritz worthy QB what allow us to do so many things more even with our other problems. Sure McMillan is serviceable. I hope he sticks around as an experienced back up next year. But we are never going to be able to use this offense effectively until Fritz Is able to recruit the right quarterback. To my mind that has been his greatest failure so far. Let us hope the USM Transfer is the real deal.
WF recruited Johnathan Brantley who could run this offense in his sleep. And we ran him out of town - or he ran himself out of town - when Banks showed up. He currently is starting at Eastern Illinois and has thrown 13 TDs with 1 INT.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

1401973 wrote:
WF recruited Johnathan Brantley who could run this offense in his sleep. And we ran him out of town - or he ran himself out of town - when Banks showed up. He currently is starting at Eastern Illinois and has thrown 13 TDs with 1 INT.
At Eastern Illinois which is 3-7 and FCS.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
1401973 wrote:
In his defense EIU's defense looks shabby.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
1401973 wrote:
He's playing against FCS defenses
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Without looking it up I think I remember they've lost a lot of shootouts.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Brantley was an elusive runner and an inaccurate passer...that's not really the ingredient we're missing.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Sometimes you just get your a** kicked. That was last night.

As someone who bailed on the season after the SMU game, then came skulking back after two straight wins, I'm not freaking out over this one.

If we beat Navy we will have improved over last year. I'll take that and be happy. Given our sorry history over the past 60 years (for the most part).

And boy were those tv announcers a couple of dumba**es.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Thanks for the level headed thought. Of course you are right. Seeing how the D has played most of the year and the issues H was having with their D my expectations were (too) high and it was a hard fall.
Let's go get Navy.
And the ESPN 11th string announcers loved to yap and yap and yap. Painful.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

In their defense there wasn't much to say about the game on the field and they aren't really supposed to do long, awkward silences.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

ml wave wrote:Brantley was an elusive runner and an inaccurate passer...that's not really the ingredient we're missing.
Our running offense with Brantley would be much better. Ds would have to scheme for him, which they don't do now. His passing was inaccurate I agree, but Banks this year is around 51% and McMillan 47% - both inaccurate.
Is he the ultimate answer with the greatest combined skill set we are looking for? No. But he would be able to run this offense better than either Banks or McMillan. Neither of which had/has a clue how/when to keep and how/when to pitch.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

of the three AAC teams that have high powered offenses that by all rights should have annihilated us this year, we beat two of them.. I'm not dissatisfied with last night because of that.

What I am dissatisfied with are: 1 the play calling and personnel packages are still horrific. Twice we had Dauphine on the field for 4th and 1.. he barely got one and got horribly smoked on the other. Umm.. Darius Bradwell anyone? 2 the stupidity returned last night.. the offsides on the missed field goal really hurt... we go into the room only down 28-9 and D'Eriq King isn't coming back.. couple that with the idiot play call on 4th down (see above), and that was the game. The Defense mailed it in from there. 3 Houston was missing roughly 8 or so first stringers, and their 2nd stringers were better than our first stringers... that's not good. Yeah, recruiting has improved, but that kind of talent gap in our division should be alarming.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

Private Joker wrote:Sometimes you just get your a** kicked. That was last night.

As someone who bailed on the season after the SMU game, then came skulking back after two straight wins, I'm not freaking out over this one.

If we beat Navy we will have improved over last year. I'll take that and be happy. Given our sorry history over the past 60 years (for the most part).

And boy were those tv announcers a couple of dumba**es.

Are you and I the same guy? I agree with everything, including the comments about the announcers!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com