Cure Bowl playcalling

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Cure Bowl playcalling

Post by TUPF »

Despite our “oh no, here we go again” lapses in the second half, one can’t help but think we could have hung 50 on the Cajuns. New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.

One of the announcers had an interesting observation: OL coaches calling plays can be particularly effective because they know more than anyone the strengths of their trenchmen.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Cure Bowl playcalling

Post by sr »

Still too many off-tackles - gotta work on that. ULL was expecting them and Tulane delivered.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

TUPF wrote:Despite our “oh no, here we go again” lapses in the second half, one can’t help but think we could have hung 50 on the Cajuns. New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.

One of the announcers had an interesting observation: OL coaches calling plays can be particularly effective because they know more than anyone the strengths of their trenchmen.
Play Calling was SOLID !!
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Our right side of the line was handling their guys almost every time. I can see why he kept running there, because it was working.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

TUPF wrote:New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.
According to Fritz, Atkins won't be an OC, as he is being groomed as a head coach. Dude is an assistant head coach for a reason. I think a lot of people saw that reason yesterday.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

So I got up this morning and rewatched the game. The most striking thing to me is in the past I knew what play was coming, whereas yesterday and today I didn't. The QB draw that was called was off tendency and actually worked. Pass calls were designed for high completion rate and consequently opened up the run. That was the way the offense is meant to be called. It was refreshing
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

windywave wrote:So I got up this morning and rewatched the game. The most striking thing to me is in the past I knew what play was coming, whereas yesterday and today I didn't. The QB draw that was called was off tendency and actually worked. Pass calls were designed for high completion rate and consequently opened up the run. That was the way the offense is meant to be called. It was refreshing
Windy, our workhorse got all the work. I think Bradwell had over 30 carries in the game. Reminiscent of Forte. We have been saying all year that Bradwell and Dauphine should touch the ball 30+ times a game. It finally happened.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Bradwell had 35 carries. That’s a lot for any back but you wouldn’t have noticed it by the way he was crushing it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

He is a strong back. Reminds me of Robert Kelly a little bit. And keep waiting for that halfback pass.

TUPF, I really enjoyed your post on McMillan and his father's background. Makes perfect sense.
rjc
Breaker Level

Post by rjc »

The part of the game that was outstanding was the play of the offensive line. This much criticize part of our offense all year really played well yesterday. rjc
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

OL got the job done. It looked to me like Johnson played most of the second half for Fisher. I'm worried about OG for next year. Losing LeGlue and Briggs will leave two big holes on either side of Dublin. Hopefully the guy from Brown can fill one of those.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

rjc, without a doubt. Those guys played well.

Going into next season, I think OL will be our biggest question mark. We lose three starters - Leglue, Fisher, and Briggs. Only Dublin, McLeod, and Johnson return with a lot of game experience. A lot of positions up for grabs. The scholarship players returning are -

Dublin
Johnson
McLeod
Claybrook
Hogan
Jackel
Lewerenz
Remondet
Swann

Committed OL include -
Sincere Haynesworth
Colby Orgeron
Jackson Fort
Christian Montano

That is 13 guys in total right now. I think you need 15 and hopefully we can pick up another graduate OL plus a freshman. We will have 3 or 4 true freshman and you cannot really count on any of them starting. That leaves three guys with substantial experience, Montano would make four, and the remainder with little to no playing time. Should be some healthy competition for starting and back-up roles. Going against our DL everyday should help the maturation process. Does anyone on the board know what the coaches think of the young guys on the team currently. Can we replace Fisher, Leglue, Knighton, and Briggs with little to no drop off (or will we be better)?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Claybrook seemed to play a good deal of time yesterday and was singled out by the broadcast team for good technique at least once.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Hogan is a large human being. Saw him on the sideline yesterday and he looks the part for sure
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Watching this game and not being aware of coaching change, I would have thought it was a Ruse production with perhaps a little more tempo than usual. Tulane imposed its will on ULL with the bonus of more consistent QB play. Not only was it 3-1 run ratio, Tulane never called an option play and only ran outside the tackles on a couple of wildcats.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote:Watching this game and not being aware of coaching change, I would have thought it was a Ruse production with perhaps a little more tempo than usual. Tulane imposed its will on ULL with the bonus of more consistent QB play. Not only was it 3-1 run ratio, Tulane never called an option play and only ran outside the tackles on a couple of wildcats.
Also, not bursting anyone's bubble, but we did what any decent offense should have done against what was a bad defense. ULL was 102. in scoring defense and gives up about 34 a game vs Sunbelt talent.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Watching this game and not being aware of coaching change, I would have thought it was a Ruse production with perhaps a little more tempo than usual. Tulane imposed its will on ULL with the bonus of more consistent QB play. Not only was it 3-1 run ratio, Tulane never called an option play and only ran outside the tackles on a couple of wildcats.
Also, not bursting anyone's bubble, but we did what any decent offense should have done against what was a bad defense. ULL was 102. in scoring defense and gives up about 34 a game vs Sunbelt talent.
You mean Sunbelt speed.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Counting Montano we have 5 guys with significant college experience. McLeod and Johnson have started multiple games. The question for them is can one of them move inside? Claybrook did not appear to play a lot Saturday, he started. He was pretty much a starter throughout the second half of the year. I agree we need two more OL’s and if one of them were an older guy that would be great. Behind the top five we need at least one guy to really push a starter and two others to be dependable backups.

While we do not go into 2019 with the same number of experienced linemen we have gone into seasons with weaker hands to play than this one.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

Ray wrote:
TUPF wrote:Despite our “oh no, here we go again” lapses in the second half, one can’t help but think we could have hung 50 on the Cajuns. New OC on the sidelines has to think Atkins could be an asset and that Atkins is not that far from getting his own OC job in the near future.

Play calling was ROCK SOLID! If anyone has ANY issues about how the bowl game was called, then you are just complaining for NO GOOD REASON, period.

Tulane just won a bowl game and had a WINNING SEASON. Why are some of you people still complaining?

ROLL GREEN WAVE ROLL!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Not complaining here, I just don’t think it was a big departure from what we called earlier in the year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

IM42lane wrote:
Ray wrote:

Play calling was ROCK SOLID! If anyone has ANY issues about how the bowl game was called, then you are just complaining for NO GOOD REASON, period.

Tulane just won a bowl game and had a WINNING SEASON. Why are some of you people still complaining?

ROLL GREEN WAVE ROLL!!!!
???? All we're noting is we just ran our standard 2018 offense against ULL successfully. It worked so it was great Saturday. Let's just say the OC was changed for next year because Fritz didn't find that it won enough this year to his expectations.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yes, I guess I was being too subtle for Mr. Font in my original post, so I’ll elucidate.

Coach Atkins called a great offensive game, even though a stretch of play calls in the 2nd half reverted to the mean—go peruse the Scoreboard for the real time concern which corrected itself. If not for that brief attack of playcalling conservativism I felt our margin of victory might have been even larger. 50 point plus total.

Coach Atkins did such a good job that I surmised that not only would he be an asset for the new OC but that he is on a fast track to get his own OC position. Others stated that he was being groomed to go directly to a HC position. All highly complimentary.

TV announcer comments noted the excellent playcalling and attributed some of it to Atkins being an in-tune OL coach knowing his linemen’s strengths intimately.

I liken the change to unfolding that 3-page restaurant menu past the first page and ordering more than the same meatloaf sandwich every time. Plus, Atkins/Fritz were playcalling to win, not sucking their thumbs worrying about losing.
Last edited by TUPF on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote: Mr. Font
:lol: :lol: too bad he can't change his username to that because it suits him
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
TUPF wrote: Mr. Font
:lol: :lol: too bad he can't change his username to that because it suits him

Mr. FONT (me — ‘IM42lane’) will also add that the play calling was GREAT enough to force the Tulane Athletic Dept. to add another BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP sign inside of Yulman stadium, the best recruiting incentive that exists.

The OC calls what works on that day. The run game was working, so, duh, CALL RUN PLAYS.

ROLL GREEN WAVE ROLL!!!! Congrats on a WINNING 2018 SEASON!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:Not complaining here, I just don’t think it was a big departure from what we called earlier in the year.
The passing plays were a little different, we targeted our third WR a couple of time early and we never do that. You are right about the running plays, we just blocked better.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy