SMU...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Poseidon
President's Circle

SMU...

Post by Poseidon »

...kept us out of a bowl in 2017.
...kept us out of championship game in 2018.
...needs some payback at the end of the season 2019.

Just a random thought.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: SMU...

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Poseidon wrote:...kept us out of a bowl in 2017.

Just a random thought.
technically the refs kept us out of a bowl game in 2017
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

They beat us in 2016 at homecoming based solely on 3 3rd and long pass interference calls in 4th quarter. Total BS game.

MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Time to beat them like we did Memphis in 2018.

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We need some kind of spark for a rivalry. Why not SMU as an inter-divisional thing? We need to handle them this year.

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:We need some kind of spark for a rivalry. Why not SMU as an inter-divisional thing? We need to handle them this year.
I would rather Memphis, then maybe Houston.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

SMU and Tulane are in the same division.

Am I missing something?

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

BC Wave wrote:SMU and Tulane are in the same division.

Am I missing something?
So are Auburn and Alabama. That should only intensify a rivalry.

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:We need some kind of spark for a rivalry. Why not SMU as an inter-divisional thing? We need to handle them this year.
I would rather Memphis, then maybe Houston.
I would too, but imo rivalry is just as much about circumstances as anything else. You don't always get to pick who a rival is. I'll take any sort of serious rivalry at this point.

Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

We had every opportunity to bury them again last year and our QB gave the game away. 3 turnovers.

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
BC Wave wrote:SMU and Tulane are in the same division.

Am I missing something?
So are Auburn and Alabama. That should only intensify a rivalry.
I think he meant intra-
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Poseidon wrote:...kept us out of a bowl in 2017.

Just a random thought.
When we do kick the door in it will be ugly.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

SMU's starting QB this year is going to be a game changer for them. He's a top tier QB.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

austxwave wrote:SMU's starting QB this year is going to be a game changer for them. He's a top tier QB.
Opponents’ offenses generally don’t concern me as much as our own.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

austxwave wrote:SMU's starting QB this year is going to be a game changer for them. He's a top tier QB.
What exactly will he change about the game?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We also heard this about Memphis and South Florida QBs last year. Didnt end up being some magical fix for them. He might be great, he might not, but we wont really know until he gets between the lines

austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

He's a graduate transfer with 2 years eligibility from UT, Shane Buechele. I hope i'm wrong, but he's a very experienced dual-threat QB who will be a huge challenge for our D. He's got almost 5000 passing yards, about a 65% completion percentage and 30 passing touchdowns. Everybody is looks good on paper, but I promise you that he is legit.

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

austxwave wrote:He's a graduate transfer with 2 years eligibility from UT, Shane Buechele. I hope i'm wrong, but he's a very experienced dual-threat QB who will be a huge challenge for our D. He's got almost 5000 passing yards, about a 65% completion percentage and 30 passing touchdowns. Everybody is looks good on paper, but I promise you that he is legit.
Again, I'm not saying you are certainly wrong, but we have recent history that shows bringing in a highly rated transfer at qb isn't a guaranteed formula for success. Buechele had more experience prior to transfer than White at Memphis (Arizona St.) and Barnett at USF (Alabama and Arizona St.) but he wasnt so good he seized the starting job at Texas. It looks like he has battled injuries. And at 1.7 ypc with never more than 200 yds rushing in a season I dont see how he is a dual threat.

He could turn out to be great as you say. The pairing with Dykes as his coach looks strong. Brady White at Memphis honestly had a pretty solid year in 2018. But for all his good days we also hammered Memphis when we played and theres no real reason we couldn't do the same to SMU in the fall. I'm just not very inclined to worry about a guy like Buechele in May, long. before the season starts.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
austxwave wrote:He's a graduate transfer with 2 years eligibility from UT, Shane Buechele. I hope i'm wrong, but he's a very experienced dual-threat QB who will be a huge challenge for our D. He's got almost 5000 passing yards, about a 65% completion percentage and 30 passing touchdowns. Everybody is looks good on paper, but I promise you that he is legit.
Again, I'm not saying you are certainly wrong, but we have recent history that shows bringing in a highly rated transfer at qb isn't a guaranteed formula for success. Buechele had more experience prior to transfer than White at Memphis (Arizona St.) and Barnett at USF (Alabama and Arizona St.) but he wasnt so good he seized the starting job at Texas. It looks like he has battled injuries. And at 1.7 ypc with never more than 200 yds rushing in a season I dont see how he is a dual threat.

He could turn out to be great as you say. The pairing with Dykes as his coach looks strong. Brady White at Memphis honestly had a pretty solid year in 2018. But for all his good days we also hammered Memphis when we played and theres no real reason we couldn't do the same to SMU in the fall. I'm just not very inclined to worry about a guy like Buechele in May, long. before the season starts.
Buechele looked good the couple times I saw him play on TV, but he had much better players around him at Texas than he will at SMU.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson