Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: D1 chat
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:56 pm 
Breaker Level

tjtlja wrote:
We can make regionals just about every year with the right coach. Tulane baseball is very attractive to both coaches and players. Excuses, excuses!

Since 2010, UConn has played in 5 regionals, and will make it 6 this year. Dallas Baptist will make it 8. Cal State Fullerton has made it 9 times. Houston has made it 4 times, and will make it 5 next week. East Carolina 6 times. Coastal Carolina 7 times. UNC Wilmington 5 times. Rice 8 times. Sam Houston 5 times. Southeastern 3 times. ULL 5 times. UC Santa Barbara 5 times including this year. Pepperdine 3 times. San Diego 5 times. USM 6 times. South Alabama 3 times. UC Irvine 3 times. FAU 5 times. Missouri State 4 times. New Mexico 4 times. Illinois 3 times, and make it 4 after this year. Indiana 5 times, and will make it 6 after this year. Tulane 2 times.

Don’t tell me we cannot make regionals on a regular basis.

Do a quick math count for me & tell me the tuition at all of those schools above....also like stated about a dozen times before...tell me how Tulane's "stacking" & all that other BS matches these other schools. While you are at it.....also tell me again where most of our players come from again? You don't think they would possibly want to stay closer to home than trek here to New Orleans if they can win in their own backyard nowadays?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:28 am 
President's Circle

Quote:
tell me how Tulane's "stacking" & all that other BS matches these other schools

Tulane does the same thing every other school does, which is the only thing you're allowed to do. You can stack Academic aid and baseball scholarship. You cant stack need based aid. That's the rule for everyone in the NCAA.

Quote:
also tell me again where most of our players come from again? You don't think they would possibly want to stay closer to home than trek here to New Orleans if they can win in their own backyard nowadays?

Most of the players on the roster right now are from Louisiana. Followed by Florida. Not sure what your point is, plenty of kids don't want to stay close to home for college and plenty more would love to go to college in New Orleans.

Quote:
Do a quick math count for me & tell me the tuition at all of those schools above
Is tuition the only thing that matters now? We have always had a disadvantage in the tuition department, but other things factor into the recruiting process. Connecticut has been playing at a stadium with not lights for Christ sake. We should have a leg up on them in recruiting for that reason.
Tuition didn't stop Rick Jones from beating out LSU and Skip Bertman for Michael Aubrey. Didn't stop him from getting Billy Mohl over Augie Garrido and Texas.

I'll try again since you skipped this question:
Quote:
I want you to be honest and if you answer one thing in this post let it be this,
He's brought in over 20 pitchers and a new pitching coach and the pitching is no better today than it was when he took over, is that not concerning to you? If Jewett retires at the end of the season is the new coach taking over a better situation than the "total rebuild" you claim Jewett inherited? It doesn't look like it to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 am 
Navigator Level

One critical factor everyone is forgetting is that 25 years ago you didn't have as many schools really trying in baseball. We were pouring resources in when they weren't. We had a stadium when many didn't. Now with all the money other schools have they are pouring resources into it and have surpassed us. So the window where we could legitimately win a NC is gone. It also makes it more difficult to be a regular Regional program. The talent has a lot more attractive choices now. As much as we hate it times have changed. Once football and basketball start winning consistently the sting won't be as bad .

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
One critical factor everyone is forgetting is that 25 years ago you didn't have as many schools really trying in baseball. We were pouring resources in when they weren't. We had a stadium when many didn't. Now with all the money other schools have they are pouring resources into it and have surpassed us. So the window where we could legitimately win a NC is gone. It also makes it more difficult to be a regular Regional program. The talent has a lot more attractive choices now. As much as we hate it times have changed. Once football and basketball start winning consistently the sting won't be as bad .
While I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a regional appearance every year, I agree that it’s more difficult now. The ‘05 team was built around transfers that we couldn’t get as easily now. As you said, a lot more schools are trying now which increases the number of teams vying for talent. Most of the country recruits kids from anywhere they want while we spend most of the time looking for kids in gated communities. Even in the 90s Rick Jones often complained that the landscape was changing to make sure small private schools like Tulane aren’t consistently better than the “power” conferences/schools. So, while more difficult, it’s not impossible. We may never have another team like the ‘01 or ‘05 teams, but we can still put together a team capable of going to Omaha.

Just 4-5 good pitchers in the past couple classes would have us talking regionals this year.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 am 
Navigator Level

We'll have to agree to disagree. In the last decade we've only been to the Regional's twice. As to Omaha that road is closed. We'll pop up in a Regional once in a while as filler. That's the reality of the situation.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. In the last decade we've only been to the Regional's twice. As to Omaha that road is closed. We'll pop up in a Regional once in a while as filler. That's the reality of the situation.

This is such a loser’s mentality.
How is it that we were able to put together that Jake Rogers and Alemais class 5-6 years ago, but today it’s impossible? I just refuse to believe it. And it’s not like they were the only highly regarded players on the team. I imagine France and Merrill had nice sized scholarships.
Randy Leblanc, Kyle McKenzie and Ian Gibaut were all here for the Freshman season of that class and I bet they had healthy scholarships.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

How is it that we were able to put together that Jake Rogers and Alemais class 5-6 years ago, but today it’s impossible? I just refuse to believe it. And it’s not like they were the only highly regarded players on the team. I imagine France and Merrill had nice sized scholarships.
Randy Leblanc, Kyle McKenzie and Ian Gibaut were all here for the Freshman season of that class and I bet they had healthy scholarships.
Exactly. The real failing was not replicating a class of that level when those scholly's became available.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am 
Cornerstone

Just throwing it out there that Pierce signed Jordan Hicks who is currently throwing 105 mph for the Cardinals after obviously choosing not to come to school.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 am 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

You can carry on like a lunatic about the baseball program all you want and curse people and call them stupid but you're just wrong about what the program was. Since most here believe baseball began when RJ came aboard we'll use those 21 years. Most walk around saying we won the conference almost every year and were ranked almost every year. The facts are that we won 4 regular season conference championships and finished ranked 5 times in that period. We went to Omaha twice and unfortunately left with the legacy of the two biggest blown leads in the history of the CWS. The program had success but it was overstated due to the complete failures in football and basketball. We were filler to the field more than we were threats to make noise. That class was originally ranked in the mid 50's. The keys were Alemais and Rogers and not just because of talent level but because of the positions they played. You're only as good as you are up the middle. When those two left the program went back down. As I said above there are a lot more schools who are really trying in baseball now and that have better facilities than we do. So getting those two was more luck than a pattern. JG was here for several years that was his only good class.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:05 am 
Emerald Circle

This should be fun.

:jerry:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:06 am 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

You can carry on like a lunatic about the baseball program all you want and curse people and call them stupid but you're just wrong about what the program was. Since most here believe baseball began when RJ came aboard we'll use those 21 years. Most walk around saying we won the conference almost every year and were ranked almost every year. The facts are that we won 4 regular season conference championships and finished ranked 5 times in that period. We went to Omaha twice and unfortunately left with the legacy of the two biggest blown leads in the history of the CWS. The program had success but it was overstated due to the complete failures in football and basketball. We were filler to the field more than we were threats to make noise. That class was originally ranked in the mid 50's. The keys were Alemais and Rogers and not just because of talent level but because of the positions they played. You're only as good as you are up the middle. When those two left the program went back down. As I said above there are a lot more schools who are really trying in baseball now and that have better facilities than we do. So getting those two was more luck than a pattern. JG was here for several years that was his only good class.
That was the class that had scholarship money available.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am 
Regent's Circle

Everyone else is busy paying basketball and football players. Let's take advantage of market inefficiency and start paying our baseball players!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am 
President's Circle

You must be reading some other posts. I don’t see any cursing or calling anyone stupid in mine.
And you’re certainly overstating anything I mentioned about Rick Jones. All I said was that he managed to recruit some good players against other programs that had all the advantages over us.
Never said he won the conference every year or that he invented college baseball at Tulane. You can keep that diatribe to yourself because it’s clearly not in response to anything I actually wrote.

If suggesting that we can do better than we’ve done for the past 3 years is “carrying on like a lunatic” then I’m guilty as charged. Just because you are accepting of and ok with an 82-86 record and I’m not, that doesn’t make me a lunatic.

How do we know getting those two was more luck than a pattern? Maybe Gautreau had finally hit his stride as a recruiter, maybe he figured something out. He wasn’t here long enough afterwards to build on it. Maybe I’m wrong but I believe that there are coaches that would take this job that can consistently put together classes like that one.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm 
President's Circle

This is the dumbest crap I have ever read. Our fans don’t think we can make regionals on a regular basis anymore. Baseball is just a filler program. We cannot get players because of the money. Let’s just throw in the towel and keep what we have. Bunch of crap.

And regarding cost, try looking at any out of state option. Cost are skyrocketing everywhere. And more athletes are playing their college ball out of state then ever before.

I will also say if we had just four more pitchers on this staff, we would be hosting a regional. That is not a mountain to climb. But hell, we can’t do that anymore. BS!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm 
Navigator Level

visualmagic wrote:
You must be reading some other posts. I don’t see any cursing or calling anyone stupid in mine.
And you’re certainly overstating anything I mentioned about Rick Jones. All I said was that he managed to recruit some good players against other programs that had all the advantages over us.
Never said he won the conference every year or that he invented college baseball at Tulane. You can keep that diatribe to yourself because it’s clearly not in response to anything I actually wrote.

If suggesting that we can do better than we’ve done for the past 3 years is “carrying on like a lunatic” then I’m guilty as charged. Just because you are accepting of and ok with an 82-86 record and I’m not, that doesn’t make me a lunatic.

How do we know getting those two was more luck than a pattern? Maybe Gautreau had finally hit his stride as a recruiter, maybe he figured something out. He wasn’t here long enough afterwards to build on it. Maybe I’m wrong but I believe that there are coaches that would take this job that can consistently put together classes like that one.

I was clear in saying that I was responding to the general consensus on this board over the years.

Actually you're the one with low expectations. I started having high expectations of this program when White came in and started putting resources into it under JB. It got me to believe we could win NC's under him and then RJ. I'm disappointed that never happened. The realities and expectations changed when many others started pouring resources into it with the money they were getting with the new TV contracts in the BCS era. There are many others with better facilities than us now and with the tuition issue that's always been there they are now very attractive alternatives. You're also the one with excuses. JG had only that one good class. He didn't have one before and he certainly was here after and never came close to it. He didn't get it done recruiting wise nor coaching wise. No excuses. He was here longer than TJ. The standards apply to all.

You must be reading someone else's post because I never said what's been going on is acceptable. I don't think we should be having losing season's or among the worst ERA's in our history. That's absolutely unacceptable. But like it or not times have changed and at best we'll pop up in a Regional once in a while. Fortunately the downturn in this sport comes at a time when football and basketball are likely getting ready to take off.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm 
Navigator Level

tjtlja wrote:
This is the dumbest crap I have ever read. Our fans don’t think we can make regionals on a regular basis anymore. Baseball is just a filler program. We cannot get players because of the money. Let’s just throw in the towel and keep what we have. Bunch of crap.

And regarding cost, try looking at any out of state option. Cost are skyrocketing everywhere. And more athletes are playing their college ball out of state then ever before.

I will also say if we had just four more pitchers on this staff, we would be hosting a regional. That is not a mountain to climb. But hell, we can’t do that anymore. BS!

Just 4 pitchers away. No problem. Now that's a hoot. Thanks for the laughs.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

FW wrote:
Just throwing it out there that Pierce signed Jordan Hicks who is currently throwing 105 mph for the Cardinals after obviously choosing not to come to school.

As of about a month ago he had the 10 fastest pitches in MLB of 2019.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm 
President's Circle

This is really a glass half full scenario concerning this season and the program potential.

No one on here has given Jewett a pass.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm 
Cornerstone

I can’t believe people are trying to defend Jewett (or do whatever they’re doing) by writing a revisionist history of what Coach Jones accomplished

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm 
Navigator Level

No one is defending TJ. What was revisionist?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:28 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Just 4 pitchers away. No problem. Now that's a hoot. Thanks for the laughs.

Glad I could make you smile. And no problem if one can recruit.

Now make me laugh. Do you waste your time and money to go see something that will never amount to anything but a once in the blue moon filler?

And can you believe we actually have a player that is considered better that Alemais and Rodgers on this team. Imagine that.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:35 pm 
Navigator Level

I won't apologize for supporting my team no matter the expectations. By your rationale no one should be at our football and basketball games.

As to Hoese he is hitting the heck out of the ball. I don't think he is in the same class as the other two on defense. Plus they played up the middle which is much more valuable. Plus he's just one player not a class.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
We can make regionals just about every year with the right coach. Tulane baseball is very attractive to both coaches and players. Excuses, excuses!

Since 2010, UConn has played in 5 regionals, and will make it 6 this year. Dallas Baptist will make it 8. Cal State Fullerton has made it 9 times. Houston has made it 4 times, and will make it 5 next week. East Carolina 6 times. Coastal Carolina 7 times. UNC Wilmington 5 times. Rice 8 times. Sam Houston 5 times. Southeastern 3 times. ULL 5 times. UC Santa Barbara 5 times including this year. Pepperdine 3 times. San Diego 5 times. USM 6 times. South Alabama 3 times. UC Irvine 3 times. FAU 5 times. Missouri State 4 times. New Mexico 4 times. Illinois 3 times, and make it 4 after this year. Indiana 5 times, and will make it 6 after this year. Tulane 2 times.

Don’t tell me we cannot make regionals on a regular basis.

Someone please explain why we are worst than the teams above. Why we will never reach their very recent success. Why we cannot compete with UConn, ULL, SLU, SHSU, UCSB, UNC Wilmington, recent national champ Coastal Carolina, Dallas Baptist, USM, San Diego, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri State, Nee Mexico, UCI, USA, ECU, Fullerton, Rice, Houston, and FAU (did I leave anyone out?).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm 
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:
I won't apologize for supporting my team no matter the expectations. By your rationale no one should be at our football and basketball games.

As to Hoese he is hitting the heck out of the ball. I don't think he is in the same class as the other two on defense. Plus they played up the middle which is much more valuable. Plus he's just one player not a class.

You succeeded in making me laugh. Alemais and Rodgers will never hit the ball like Hoese. And it is hysterical you would go see something that you have zero expectations for - you must have nothing else to do. On the other hand, I do have expectations for all our sports.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:40 pm 
Cornerstone

wavedom wrote:
No one is defending TJ. What was revisionist?

That's what you took out of that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next